4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone!!

I am thrilled to say "we're back!!"

After some absence from the site we are back and ready to press on. As some of you may recall we have been held up by my childrens father and his consent to allow them to move to the USA.

Due to a recent change, he has now consented!! Yippee!!

Needless to say I am ready to move on.

I have a few questions regarding the DS-230 which I looked at the sample forms and FAQ and couldn't find the answers.

I have to fill out a copy of the form for myself and each of my daughters.

#14 asks about Name of Spouse and marrital details. Above at #9 I answered I am divorced. Do I put in #14 details of my ex-husband?? Or is this only applicable for the K-3 applicants that are already married???

#23 asks about educational instituitions...do I answer just the university I attended or do I put in high school, and elementary school information on mine and my girls?

#25 asks about previous visits to the USA and the applicable visa information. Am I correct in thinking I put N/A because I have never visited the USA on a visa nor have the children?

Finally, at the bottom it asks for signature of applicant. For my children I am unsure if I sign it on their behalf or leave it blank? They are 10 & 7 years old.

As always, thank you for your help.

Woohoo!! We are back in the groove!!

Karen

(I posted this elsewhere and was advised that it would likely be better posted in the K1 section.

Hello everyone!!

I am thrilled to say "we're back!!"

After some absence from the site we are back and ready to press on. As some of you may recall we have been held up by my childrens father and his consent to allow them to move to the USA.

Due to a recent change, he has now consented!! Yippee!!

Needless to say I am ready to move on.

I have a few questions regarding the DS-230 which I looked at the sample forms and FAQ and couldn't find the answers.

I have to fill out a copy of the form for myself and each of my daughters.

#14 asks about Name of Spouse and marrital details. Above at #9 I answered I am divorced. Do I put in #14 details of my ex-husband?? Or is this only applicable for the K-3 applicants that are already married???

#23 asks about educational instituitions...do I answer just the university I attended or do I put in high school, and elementary school information on mine and my girls?

#25 asks about previous visits to the USA and the applicable visa information. Am I correct in thinking I put N/A because I have never visited the USA on a visa nor have the children?

Finally, at the bottom it asks for signature of applicant. For my children I am unsure if I sign it on their behalf or leave it blank? They are 10 & 7 years old.

As always, thank you for your help.

Woohoo!! We are back in the groove!!

Karen

(I posted this elsewhere and was advised that it would likely be better posted in the K1 section.

ANSWERS:

#14: It only asks for Spouse's information. It does not ask for any information of the ex-spouse. So you can just write "N/A."

#23: It asks about ALL educational institutions you attended. So list all from elementary school to university. If you need extra space, use an additional page.

#25: Read the question carefully. It says, (If Never write "Never.")

I think, you can sign for your children, if they are below 14. This is a good question that you can ask NVC. (603) 334-0700, option 1 for English, then option 5 to speak with an operator live.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thought I would reply in the hopes that this may assist others that may have gotten confused as I did.

I called and emailed Montreal regarding my questions because I was anxious to get the papers sent out before we leave for Missouri tomorrow to visit David.

#14 both said that it was pertaining to current marrital status and in my case that is divorced. So no need to complete spousal info.

#23 both said to list high school on...so for myself I listed high school and university and put N/A as advised by Montreal for my children (who haven't yet started high school)

#25 email said "You write several times as a Canadian citizen & no visa issued" and the phone call said to list as many as I could recall in the last three years. This after I explained that I travel every other month or so. I put down the visits that pertain to when David moved back to the USA which was Oct 2004. Put a note about misc visits prior to that date.

Signature on the childrens DS-230...both said to print the childs name and put (by mother) after and then for me to sign my name and put (mother) beside.

Phew!

Filed: Timeline

David and Karen,

Must be a consulate-specific issue. My K-3 stepson was not required to submit a DS-230-I, only my wife was.

Yodrak

Signature on the childrens DS-230...both said to print the childs name and put (by mother) after and then for me to sign my name and put (mother) beside.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.