second stage

Filed for Removal of Conditions(I-751) today

40 posts in this topic

NOW! Just got my NOA yesterday...

Yes, that was a little complicated. You are German, too? When you want to change your name "officially" as a German citizen, meaning also in your passport etc, you have to go through the German consulate and they will send your name change request to the "Standesamt I" in Berlin. So, first, I went to the German consulate and there I got a legal document stating that I had changed my name. Plus, I got a new passport with my new name. (After 2 months or so.) Then I had the name change document translated and with that, the new passport AND my marriage certificate they changed my name on my SSC. From there it was easy, I first changed my name on my bank account because at the DMV (I live in NY) they wanted to see two forms of identification in my new name and I was told that a German passport wouldn't count, but an ATM card would... (?!?) This so doesn't make any sense, but it worked. Oh, they also wanted to see the marriage certificate at the DMV... I think I might have went to the DMV 4 times to get this done, each time waited for 1.5 - 2 hours just to be told that yet another document was missing... Very frustrating, but it worked in the end. I now have all my documents in my new name, except for my GC, but hopefully the new one will have the new name and I will be SO happy! Good luck!

Yes, I am German and I already got the passport in my new name. I got it in Germany though which sounds like it was easier ;) Well, anyways, I went to the SS Office with the new passport, the name change document in German and the certified translation and the guy sent me straight away :angry: He told me I have to get the GC changed first which doesn't make any sense to me. I even brought the NOA that has my new name on it... Mmmh, now I am wondering if the guy was just too lazy to do is job :help: Did anybody else try to change their name while the GC still had the old name?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I was just lucky at the Social Security Office. Did you take your marriage certificate? She definitely wanted to see that.

I didn't even get that far. I asked if I can change my name if my GC still shows my old name and he immediately told me NO. Maybe I started it all wrong and should have just given him all the other paperwork first :whistle: I think I will try again now B-) Thank you very much for your help!! Oh one more question? Does the marriage certificate show your old or your new name?

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

It shows the old name. I was told before that basically since in the US you don't get an official legal name change document, your marriage certificate was proof enough to get your name changed on the SSC, but I took the passport and the document just in case... She wanted to see the green card eventually, of course, but I just told her that I wanted to change the SSC first, then I would take care of the rest and she seemed ok with that... Good luck to you, I hope they will be less of a pain and just change it for you!

It shows the old name. I was told before that basically since in the US you don't get an official legal name change document, your marriage certificate was proof enough to get your name changed on the SSC, but I took the passport and the document just in case... She wanted to see the green card eventually, of course, but I just told her that I wanted to change the SSC first, then I would take care of the rest and she seemed ok with that... Good luck to you, I hope they will be less of a pain and just change it for you!

Ok then I will just try again. This time showing them the marriage certificate first B-) Thank you :yes:

Ok then I will just try again. This time showing them the marriage certificate first B-) Thank you :yes:

So I tried again today and same answer - they won't change it until I actually present the GC with the new name :(:unsure:

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I am so sorry to hear that. I didn't mean to get your hopes up for nothing :(

Hope everything goes smoothly with your green card and you'll have it soon! Seems like I've been really lucky when changing my name on my SSC??!!?

I am so sorry to hear that. I didn't mean to get your hopes up for nothing :(

Hope everything goes smoothly with your green card and you'll have it soon! Seems like I've been really lucky when changing my name on my SSC??!!?

Oh don't worry, it was too good to be true anyways LOL At least the SS office is just a 15 minute drive from my place. Yeah, I guess either you were really lucky or the Florida SS offices are just really strict :unsure:

Edited by floridagirl

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Went to the local Social Security Administration office today to change the name on the SS card.

We filled out the Form SS-5 and then met the clerk at the window.

The clerk wanted to see the following documents:

1. Green Card(GC) with the 'new' name

2. Marriage certificate(MC) - Original Copy.

After checking some records, the clerk came back and asked for one other form of Identification.

We gave the Driver's License(DL)..

After few minutes, the clerk returned back the DL, made copies of the GC and the MC and returned them to us.

The clerk said: In about 7-10 days we will get a letter of acknowledgment in the mail and we can return back with it and they will stamp it so that will be good enough to goto DMV and get the name changed on the DL.

Otherwise, we need to wait until we receive the the Social Security card in the new name and then proceed to DMV.

Note: the interesting thing was the clerk asked us to take an oath that we are providing true information..yada..yada..this didn't happen before.

Does this happen at all the SS offices now?

Edited by second stage

Mom sponsoring for her son(my brother)

06/15/2010 : I-130 for son
06/23/2010 : Check Cashed
06/26/2010 : Received NOA
03/20/2012 : Received RFE(I-797E)
05/23/2012: Application approved after RFE response
06/29/2012: Received letter from NVC

06/03/2015: Change petition from F1 to F3 category

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

6. K-1 & AOS & ROC TimeLine

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Took about 10 days to receive the new SSN with the name change. :thumbs:

We went to the local DMV to change the name on the DL.

They wanted the following documents:

1. GC in the 'new' name.

2. SS card in the 'new' name.

3. Your current DL.

4. Two documents that has your name showing your current address(for proof of address)

Note: Do not tear off the SS card from the letter they mail out, you can use that as proof of address as well.

5. Original Marriage Certificate.

The clerk scanned all the documents and then cut off the old DL and gave us a printout that can be used as a temporary DL for the next 30 days.

Am told it will take about 2-3 weeks to receive the new DL with the name change.

Mom sponsoring for her son(my brother)

06/15/2010 : I-130 for son
06/23/2010 : Check Cashed
06/26/2010 : Received NOA
03/20/2012 : Received RFE(I-797E)
05/23/2012: Application approved after RFE response
06/29/2012: Received letter from NVC

06/03/2015: Change petition from F1 to F3 category

Checklist :
1. I-751(ROC)
2. Parents AOS
3. I-130(Son)
4. N-400(Spouse)

5. N-400(Parents)

6. K-1 & AOS & ROC TimeLine

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.