samira

Air travel from Mexico to Canada, via USA

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

My fiancee' lives in Mexico and has a tourist visa to enter the US. We just started the K-1 process a month ago. Rather than have her visit here again and taking a chance on having her turned away by immigration; this time we have decided to meet in Toronto the 2nd week in August. She will be switching planes in Houston (arriving from Mex City) on her way to Canada. (She will also be laying over in Houston on her return flight as well.)

We didnt think about this till after we booked her flight....but will she possibly have the same problems with immigration now were going for a K-1 , even though she is only just laying over to catch a 2nd leg of journey to leave the country?

Thanks in advance !

Brad and Samira

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
My fiancee' lives in Mexico and has a tourist visa to enter the US. We just started the K-1 process a month ago. Rather than have her visit here again and taking a chance on having her turned away by immigration; this time we have decided to meet in Toronto the 2nd week in August. She will be switching planes in Houston (arriving from Mex City) on her way to Canada. (She will also be laying over in Houston on her return flight as well.)

We didnt think about this till after we booked her flight....but will she possibly have the same problems with immigration now were going for a K-1 , even though she is only just laying over to catch a 2nd leg of journey to leave the country?

Thanks in advance !

Brad and Samira

It depends. She will have to pass through customs and immigration in Houston because she is arriving from Mexico. Every international passenger arriving there passes through customs, whether they are just laying over or staying.

Now, if you have not received the K1 yet and have only started the process (i.e. sent in the paperwork), there is no problem. Hopefully your fiancee already has a tourist visa, because she will need it to pass through immigration. But the fact that you have started the K1 process is not a problem. My fiancee crossed the border several times with her tourist visa the day before her K1 interview. Upon receiving the K1 they confiscate any other visa you have, and at that point you can only enter the U.S. once using the K1.

Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by VivaMexico

SEE K-1 HISTORY IN MY TIMELINE

AOS / EAD / AP TIMELINE:

06/30/2006 - I-485, I-765 and I-131 sent to Chicago (via USPS Priority mail) (DAY 1)

07/02/2006 - package received in Chicago (delivery confirmed via USPS)

07/06/2006 - NOA 1 (DAY 7)

07/12/2006 - biometric appointment notice (DAY 13)

07/14/2006 - received biometric appointment notice via mail

07/25/2006 - interview notice (DAY 26)

07/26/2006 - biometrics taken (DAY 27)

07/28/2006 - received interview notice via mail

09/07/2006 - I-485 interview...APPROVED!!!...passport stamped (DAY 70)

09/12/2006 - I-131 approved (DAY 75)

09/13/2006 - received welcome letter via mail

09/15/2006 - I-765 approved (DAY 78)

09/16/2006 - received AP via mail

09/18/2006 - received conditional green card via mail

09/21/2006 - received EAD via mail

07/23/2008 - filed I-751 to lift conditional status

07/28/2008 - NOA 1

08/26/2008 - biometric appointment

12/03/2008 - I-751 approved

12/08/2008 - received 10-year green card via mail

09/07/2009 - eligible for U.S. citizenship!

flag13.gif

flag12.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.