germanguest

Travelling 3-4 months abroad while visa is in process???

9 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I got a question. Does anyone know if there will be any problems with the K1 Visa when I travel at least 4 months in South America while it is being processed. I still will be registered at an address in Germany.

Thanks for help.

sindy

Met 2004

NOA 1: 6/12/06

That will not be a problem, with the following exception:

Even if you use the "new and improved" I-129F with the IMBRA issue included, you may still receive a Request for Information (RFE) with the IMBRA questions.

If you are the USC, can someone forward that mail to you in South America? You will want to fill that out and return it ASAP, or your process will halt. They also impose a time limit to respond to the RFE.

With that said, be sure to establish a way to get that mail forwarded to you.

Good Luck.

Hey there,

I got a question. Does anyone know if there will be any problems with the K1 Visa when I travel at least 4 months in South America while it is being processed. I still will be registered at an address in Germany.

Thanks for help.

sindy

Edited by William33

Hey thanks for the reply. I dont excactly understand what you mean with with IMBRA, RFE ( Im new to this forum :blush: ) etc. We already got our NOA 1 on 6/12 its all filled out etc. Im waiting for this NOA2 thing..and this might take forever.

Even if you use the "new and improved" I-129F with the IMBRA issue included, you may still receive a Request for Information (RFE) with the IMBRA questions.

If you are the USC, can someone forward that mail to you in South America? You will want to fill that out and return it ASAP, or your process will halt. They also impose a time limit to respond to the RFE.

Good Luck.

Hey there,

Thanks for help.

sindy

Met 2004

IMBRA is the International Marriage Brokers Act. The act became effective on 06 March 2006.

On the I-129F you filled out, did it ask questions about Marriage Brokers and Criminal background?

You may get a separate Request for Evidence (RFE), which is a form that asks those questions, despite the fact that your I-129F already asked.

That is the wonder of the USCIS, always doing things right!!! :lol:

Be sure to go to the USCIS website and establish an account. You will need the A# from your NOA-1 document, an e-mail address and some other information. This will allow you to track progress and get automatic e-mail notification of changes to your account status.

Hey thanks for the reply. I dont excactly understand what you mean with with IMBRA, RFE ( Im new to this forum :blush: ) etc. We already got our NOA 1 on 6/12 its all filled out etc. Im waiting for this NOA2 thing..and this might take forever.

Good Luck.

Hey there,

Thanks for help.

sindy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

What William said is right - since you filed with the "old" I-129F (the new one wasn't available when you filed so I'm making this assumption) they will send you a supplement request for evidence (RFE) so that you can answer 3 questions in order to comply with the law. Other than making sure this form is filed out and returned, it doesn't matter where you are physically located while they take their time to process. Make sure you have set up an online account and have access to your email as well as having someone get your mail at home. You may also want to start gathering the items for packet 3, post approval, so it's not a mad dash when you get home. But it's fine to travel - go and be free!

Oh man, Im even more confused now. I know we sent a seperate sheet together with the I-129 F and explained where and how we met- is this the RFE?!? I have to ask dave if they asked him about this IMBRA and Criminal background-I dont rembember being asked. I know they sent the whole package back one time cause there was a mistake and then we just sent it back and got the Noa 1 in June....

IMBRA is the International Marriage Brokers Act. The act became effective on 06 March 2006.

On the I-129F you filled out, did it ask questions about Marriage Brokers and Criminal background?

You may get a separate Request for Evidence (RFE), which is a form that asks those questions, despite the fact that your I-129F already asked.

That is the wonder of the USCIS, always doing things right!!! :lol:

Be sure to go to the USCIS website and establish an account. You will need the A# from your NOA-1 document, an e-mail address and some other information. This will allow you to track progress and get automatic e-mail notification of changes to your account status.

Good Luck.

Hey there,

Thanks for help.

sindy

Ok, will they send it to my address or to dave´s address in the us?!? and have we both have to fill it out?!.

What William said is right - since you filed with the "old" I-129F (the new one wasn't available when you filed so I'm making this assumption) they will send you a supplement request for evidence (RFE) so that you can answer 3 questions in order to comply with the law. Other than making sure this form is filed out and returned, it doesn't matter where you are physically located while they take their time to process. Make sure you have set up an online account and have access to your email as well as having someone get your mail at home. You may also want to start gathering the items for packet 3, post approval, so it's not a mad dash when you get home. But it's fine to travel - go and be free!

Met 2004

A Request For Evidence (RFE) is a form USCIS sends to to you.

You should check with your Fiance if unsure of the specific I-129F version you filled out or if an RFE was received.

From your last comment, I am surmising that you are not the U.S. Citizen?

Clarify these points with your Fiance and reply back.

By the way, all correspondence will be sent the US Citizens address or the address he supplied on the I-129F.

Edited by William33

:D oh my god :D ..guess what?!? he is travelling europe right now..yeah I should try to get a hold of him asap. if uscis sends it to his us address now...I dont know how long this will take...

right, Im german, he is the us citizen...anyways, thank you very much.

You should check with your Fiance if unsure of the specific I-129F version you filled out or if an RFE was received.

Met 2004

You are welcome. :thumbs:

:D oh my god :D ..guess what?!? he is travelling europe right now..yeah I should try to get a hold of him asap. if uscis sends it to his us address now...I dont know how long this will take...

right, Im german, he is the us citizen...anyways, thank you very much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.