Donal78

Getting an immigration lawyer - is it worth it?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

We are thinking of getting an immigration lawyer to deal with the mess that USCIS has caused by not sending the rfe. We have tried everything numerous calls to the mis infomation line and two infopass meetings. They give us hope but then reality strikes and nothing happens.No Rfe comes in the post. It is now day 37 since the rfe was posted. It was sent back undelivered on the 19th. So my application is just sitting on a shelf somewhere in MO gathering dust until they get the rfe back.

We were wondering if getting an immigration lawyer would help? We dont want to spend thousands on something which was out of our control and not our fault. I have contacted the irish immigration center in boston but am awaiting to hear back from them.

On another topic i may have a chance to volunteer at a local hospital. They are looked for volunteers to help them out. I have been told that the job is strictly volunteer and if i am not interested then they will just get another volunteer to help out. The role is IT Support. There is no chance of a permanent job from this, i would just be glad to get out of the house and refreshen my IT skills. If i take the volunteer work will it cause problems for me in the interview?

I-751 - Removal of conditions

10-20-2008 - Sent package via usps - overnite mail

10-22-2008 - Package received and signed.

10-28-2008 - Cheque cashed

12-02-2008 - Biometrics in Boston

10-03-2009 - Transferred to CSV

10-04-2009 - 10 year GC on the way

Filed: Timeline

galwayman getting a lawyer will not speed up your RFE they can only do what you have already done.... as you only had your infopass appointment on 07/24/06 you have to give them a chance to find it and mail it to you.... do you have your Last name on your mailbox?? if not then print off your name and stick it on the mailbox.....

There is no problem about doing volunteer work as long as you are not going to be getting a paid job at the end of it.....

Good Luck

Kezzie

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
galwayman getting a lawyer will not speed up your RFE they can only do what you have already done.... as you only had your infopass appointment on 07/24/06 you have to give them a chance to find it and mail it to you.... do you have your Last name on your mailbox?? if not then print off your name and stick it on the mailbox.....

There is no problem about doing volunteer work as long as you are not going to be getting a paid job at the end of it.....

Good Luck

Kezzie

Ye i know kezzie. I just have to learn to be patient. I have my surname on the mailbox. We have told the postmaster and she has updated my name on the mailbox.

I-751 - Removal of conditions

10-20-2008 - Sent package via usps - overnite mail

10-22-2008 - Package received and signed.

10-28-2008 - Cheque cashed

12-02-2008 - Biometrics in Boston

10-03-2009 - Transferred to CSV

10-04-2009 - 10 year GC on the way

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I agree, I think a lawyer would end up being a waste of your money.

I would follow up with that Irish Immigration place. Is it located at Temple Place? If so, I know a couple who used them to help with their immigration problems and they raved about the place. James called them once before we decided to go this route, and they got right back to him. The problem was though, that the woman he talked to gave him some false info about the J1 visa. So I would be cautious with them, but I know they can really help. I believe they acted as lawyers for that couple I mentioned and did not charge, they had a list of suggested donations for certain services that were way cheaper then lawyer's fees would be, and are voluntary.

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Though not a fan of lawyers, I would suggest going to an immigration attorney for a free consultation (many of them offer an hour or so for free, you can tell them that you may hire them if you think they can help you after the consultation.) If they have dealt with similar situations before and assure you action then and only then commit to them - else you may have to just wait it out or get your congress people involved to see if they can get any info or not. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.