jake8587

Just a little worried.

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

For little kids, the best thing to do is to have the Russian-speaking parent speak in Russian and the English-speaking parent speak in English. If your wife spoke to him in English, not only would he run the risk of losing his Russian profiency, but he also would be exposed to her accent and grammatical errors.

All of my mom's family spoke Belarusian at home and learned English from being around other kids. Everyone did fine. And being in my early 20s, I know lots of people who immigrated to the US around age 6, and they all adjusted just fine and also retained their Russian--maybe they have a sort of accent, and they're not going to know a lot of slang words, and apparently a lot of them use a lot of diminuitives for nouns (i.e., constantly saying "stulchik" for "stul"), like they're stuck with little-kid Russian forever or something, but as far as losing Russian altogether the way Mart suggested, I don't know anyone that happened to. As Gary said, being at least bilingual is a great thing, and Russian is a beautiful and useful language, so it'd be a shame if your stepson lost it.

Первый блин комом.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
For little kids, the best thing to do is to have the Russian-speaking parent speak in Russian and the English-speaking parent speak in English. If your wife spoke to him in English, not only would he run the risk of losing his Russian profiency, but he also would be exposed to her accent and grammatical errors.

All of my mom's family spoke Belarusian at home and learned English from being around other kids. Everyone did fine. And being in my early 20s, I know lots of people who immigrated to the US around age 6, and they all adjusted just fine and also retained their Russian--maybe they have a sort of accent, and they're not going to know a lot of slang words, and apparently a lot of them use a lot of diminuitives for nouns (i.e., constantly saying "stulchik" for "stul"), like they're stuck with little-kid Russian forever or something, but as far as losing Russian altogether the way Mart suggested, I don't know anyone that happened to. As Gary said, being at least bilingual is a great thing, and Russian is a beautiful and useful language, so it'd be a shame if your stepson lost it.

:thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
but as far as losing Russian altogether the way Mart suggested, I don't know anyone that happened to. As Gary said, being at least bilingual is a great thing, and Russian is a beautiful and useful language, so it'd be a shame if your stepson lost it.

I've know people like that only because both parent's (usually both Russian) wouldn't let Russian be spoken in the house. Somehow those tards thought it'd help the kid learn English faster...

My niece is almost 5 now. She was born here. Both her parents speak Russian to her as well as grandparents. She is completely fluent in both Russian and English and has no problem distinguishing when to speak Russian or when to speak English.

So Eekee - as long as parents know what they are doing, kids will know both languages just fine.

I did not express myself correctly in my previous statement, for which I apologize.

I came here when I was 17+ so the question of forgetting my native language was never an issue, heh.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
:thumbs:

And, as we left preschool yesterday, his teacher came into the hallway and told me that today they were learning a few Spanish words. And Leonid, who is a very good student, says as we left....to the teacher...."Adios, PaKah, Bye Bye, bye bye!"

At home he gets mostly Russian with some English from his mother and mostly English with some Russian from me.

Now I will start to mix in some Spanish so we all will be tri-lingual.

To the OP, your son will not have a problem.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We have talked about how if we have another child, I would like for them to also learn Russian. Now if the Vermont Service Center would just get in gear and approve their petition. Wish there was something I could do to speed it up!! Waiting Sucks and I am so over Afghanistan!!! Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Currently working in Afghanistan with the United State Special Forces.

.."Adios, PaKah, Bye Bye, bye bye!"

Now I will start to mix in some Spanish so we all will be tri-lingual.

That's kind of what it sounds like in our house. At any given time there'll be a third or even a fourth language thrown in there somewhere.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline

Timeline
Walgreens has some good English work books for pre-schoolers.

try your library ESL section. Great "Pictionaries" in Russian/English.

Gary And Alla

Walgreens has some good English work books for pre-schoolers.

In all seriousness, I used several pre-school and school-aged children's books when learning Russian. Picture books are awesome for learning words around the house. I posted sticky notes to the refrigerator, sink, computer, lights, table, etc. If you post in both languages, she and the kids can use them when they get here.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
All of my mom's family spoke Belarusian at home and learned English from being around other kids. Everyone did fine. And being in my early 20s, I know lots of people who immigrated to the US around age 6, and they all adjusted just fine and also retained their Russian--maybe they have a sort of accent, and they're not going to know a lot of slang words, and apparently a lot of them use a lot of diminuitives for nouns (i.e., constantly saying "stulchik" for "stul"), like they're stuck with little-kid Russian forever or something, but as far as losing Russian altogether the way Mart suggested, I don't know anyone that happened to.

Lots of the Russians I know use diminutives for nouns even in Russia. It seems they leave the Russian vocabulary around age 14 but start creeping back in by age 35. By the time you are 65, everything is small to you.

Timeline
In all seriousness, I used several pre-school and school-aged children's books when learning Russian. Picture books are awesome for learning words around the house. I posted sticky notes to the refrigerator, sink, computer, lights, table, etc. If you post in both languages, she and the kids can use them when they get here.

Really they are good. U sed them for French and Russian, along with catalogs of things that interest me...tools, etc. I had a hard time finding gun catalogs in French and Russian. :(

Gary And Alla

Really they are good. U sed them for French and Russian, along with catalogs of things that interest me...tools, etc. I had a hard time finding gun catalogs in French and Russian. :(

I don't think there are gun catalogs in French. Well, maybe German catalogs translated into French. "Never fired and only dropped once." Wrong movie.

Old Russian/Soviet training manuals are always a good read. When I was in S. Korea we had the manual for the AK and PKM hanging over our urinals so we could "study" whenever we took a leak.

Русский форум член.

I don't think there are gun catalogs in French.

Would the Quebecois publish one? Just wondering, since firearms are probably more popular in Canada than France...

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.