2manypapers

Need help

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I need some advice on how to handle this. I am trying to get my financial records together for the Embassy Interview for my Fiance. They have asked for 3 years and the transcripts, which I have. I am over the '125%' for me and my daughter, but not by much. My expenses and lifestyle are not that much per year. I operate my own not for profit company, and retain 50% of the shares, ( that I inherited from my father), but I do not draw a regular salary. The past few years, since he died, I have drawn a modest director's fee once (1x) per year.

The next problem is with the bank statments that they are asking for. I only have 1 checking account in my name and the balance is always low.

I have several other main accounts, but these are joint investment accounts with my exhusband. We have had these accounts together for a number of years and he is dying of congestive heart failure. I am his power of attorney and the sole inheritor of his/our assets.

So, I do qualify financially, but do you think it will be a problem because I have joint accounts? I spoke to my exh about this, but I did not really want him to have to sign any papers as a co-sponsor. He doesn't want to separate our accounts now, because he said that I will pay less in taxes after his death the way we have it set up. (We have been divorced 15 years now).

I own my home in my own name, and it is worth about double the balance of the mortgage.

Do you think that the Embassy will require my exH to sign as a co sponsor? Or can I just send in the statements of our joint accounts and my one singular account and they will be enough for proof of income, along with my shares in my company? I can ask my attorney to draw up a letter stating the shares I own and the approximate value of my companies assets, if you think this would help.

I am having trouble getting an interview date and we are already on a waiting list, so I do not want there to be a problem once my fiance presents the papers.

I would deeply appreciate your input on how to handle this.

Thank you,

2manypapers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Only show them income and tax info. If you make the 125% you are home free. They don't care how often you are paid. The only reason to show your accounts to them is if you are trying to go an assets, as opposed to income.

If you are going to the interview I would take everything you have but they have no reason to go this deep into your finances. They are the DOS, not the IRS.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

Not sure if this will help you but in our case, I (the USC) did not quite meet the 125% income so in addition to my income, I used assets of bank and house. The ConOff looked at all my docs for the I-864 (we were DCF in NZ) and the only thing she asked was how much I would net if I sold my house. I had a letter from a real estate company giving Opinion of Value and I own it outright-no mortgage. That was all they asked about. You could use your house valuation minus mortgage along with your income and perhaps an explanation of your other assets. They may not ask for assets but if you are borderline on income, they might. It never hurts to be over prepared

8-12-2004 I moved to New Zealand(married my Kiwi in US 5/04)

1-12-2006 Received initial packet - It has I-130, I-864 & DS-230 Part 1, DS-2001 & tons of instructions.

Gathering paperwork that we don't have:

5-30-2006 - I-130 FILED AND ACCEPTED BY AUCKLAND CONSULATE!- INTERVIEW: 6/13/2006

6-13-2006 - APPROVED!usaCa.gifnew_zeaC3.gif

6-14-2006 - VISA IN HAND D_SMIL112.gif

08-05-2006 -WE ARE HOME IN THE USA!!! flag12.gif

THREE HAPPY YEARS LATER:

5-10-09 - N-400 filed

8-24-09 - Interview

9-14-09 - Naturalization Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
Not sure if this will help you but in our case, I (the USC) did not quite meet the 125% income so in addition to my income, I used assets of bank and house. The ConOff looked at all my docs for the I-864 (we were DCF in NZ) and the only thing she asked was how much I would net if I sold my house. I had a letter from a real estate company giving Opinion of Value and I own it outright-no mortgage. That was all they asked about. You could use your house valuation minus mortgage along with your income and perhaps an explanation of your other assets. They may not ask for assets but if you are borderline on income, they might. It never hurts to be over prepared

Thanks to you both for your answers. I know that without a regular paycheck, as opposed to once a year, that it is going to be questioned, everything is kind of 'special' down there.

The idea of the house is a good one. Yes, I rather be prepared, then have them deny him his visa or hold it up pending additional paperwork. We are in a holding period down there for 2 months as it is for even a place on the list for an interview.

I really appreciate both posters taking the time to help me. :yes:

2manypapers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.