10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, all!

Just shifting a few questions about the AOS process over here from the "Canada" sub-forum.

Summary: I've been in the US since 2007 on TN status (two border-crossing "renewals"). My fiancee, Katie, and I were planning an August 20, 2010 wedding in my hometown, St. John's, Newfoundland, but my current TN expires on August 27. (Also I'd be trying to enter the US as a spouse of a citizen on a nonimmigrant visa.)

So, we're going to get married early next week instead, get the paperwork in the mail by late next week, and we should be good to go for August. (We're also planning a trip to Newfoundland for March 30-April 5 to plan wedding stuff in person and visit my grandmother, who broke her hip last week. As soon as the application is received, I'll ask for an Emergency Parole so I can go home to see my grandmother.)

So, here are the questions:

The I-130 is for Katie (my fiancee) to fill out, but everything else is filled out by me, correct?

•Hm, wait. I-864, the financial support document, as well, should be filled out by Katie. There are sections for me to enter my savings and income, as well. Or should I just stay out of it, since her individual income is well above the minimum of $16,000 for a 2-person household?

•The cover letter for the I-130 package should be signed by Katie, and the cover letter for the I-485 package should be signed by me, correct? Or should we both sign both?

•With regards to the medical; the last time I had a full medical was in 2003 when I was getting my visa to go to Taiwan. I had a couple of medicals while in Taiwan, but I don't see any vaccination record anywhere in my files. Is this going to cost me a mint? I don't have health insurance in the States, and I dread the cost of getting a slew of vaccinations that I may or may not need.

•I don't need to worry about the last two items on the I-485 list, correct? (The Supplement and the I-601.)

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Old thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241376

Hello, all!

Just shifting a few questions about the AOS process over here from the "Canada" sub-forum.

Summary: I've been in the US since 2007 on TN status (two border-crossing "renewals"). My fiancee, Katie, and I were planning an August 20, 2010 wedding in my hometown, St. John's, Newfoundland, but my current TN expires on August 27. (Also I'd be trying to enter the US as a spouse of a citizen on a nonimmigrant visa.)

So, we're going to get married early next week instead, get the paperwork in the mail by late next week, and we should be good to go for August. (We're also planning a trip to Newfoundland for March 30-April 5 to plan wedding stuff in person and visit my grandmother, who broke her hip last week. As soon as the application is received, I'll ask for an Emergency Parole so I can go home to see my grandmother.)

So, here are the questions:

The I-130 is for Katie (my fiancee) to fill out, but everything else is filled out by me, correct?

Almost - read this.

•Hm, wait. I-864, the financial support document, as well, should be filled out by Katie. There are sections for me to enter my savings and income, as well. Or should I just stay out of it, since her individual income is well above the minimum of $16,000 for a 2-person household?

$16,000? It's $18,212! You must be looking at the 2006 I-864P ....

•The cover letter for the I-130 package should be signed by Katie, and the cover letter for the I-485 package should be signed by me, correct? Or should we both sign both?

Follow the guide :) and closely read the form instructions.

•With regards to the medical; the last time I had a full medical was in 2003 when I was getting my visa to go to Taiwan. I had a couple of medicals while in Taiwan, but I don't see any vaccination record anywhere in my files. Is this going to cost me a mint? I don't have health insurance in the States, and I dread the cost of getting a slew of vaccinations that I may or may not need.

You will need a current medical. If you can show your vaccinations are up to spec, you do not need to redo them.

•I don't need to worry about the last two items on the I-485 list, correct? (The Supplement and the I-601.)

Most likely not.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Old thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=241376

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

As long as the USC makes above the 2009 poverty guidelines you do not have to include any of your assets.

The 601 form I beleive is for waivers, the only time you would need that is if you have had a conviction that is a crime of moral turpitude per USCIS.

Unfortunately you have to have another medical

done & has to be done by an authorized civil surgeon who by USCISs can do immigration medicals. Depending on where you live will be a variety or not so much of doctors and prices. Evey doctor sets there own price, might take some calling around, you will need your vaccination records and if you do lot have certain shots the cost of thr vaccinations to get you up to date are additional cost.

Keep reading the guides on VJ but go directly to the USCIS for the most updated forms.

Good luck!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Try to get your proof of vaccinations from Canada, your former doctor, health department, school - check these out, depends on where you grew up in Canada.

If no records are available you can get a titer test done to prove immunity.

Timeline

Thanks!

More clarification and questions:

•With regard to who should file each form, I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right:

- I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is signed by Katie (my American fiancee)

- G-325a, Biographic Information, is signed one by me and one by her. (But I include a second one by me in the I-485 package.)

- I-864, Affidavit of Support, is signed by Katie, since her income is enough.

- I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is signed by me.

- I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, is signed by me.

- I-131, Application for Travel Document, is signed by me.

- G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, is signed by Katie, since she's the "petitioner."

•As for the cover letters, I can find no indication of who is supposed to sign them (one for the I-130, and another for the I-485). I presume that Katie has to sign the first, because she's filing the I-130, and that I have to sign the second, because I'm signing the I-485, but I don't want to _presume_ anything, so if someone could just verify that I'm thinking rightly here, that would be great!

•A fairly important one: In Part 2 of the I-485 (Application Type), which option do I choose? Is it (a) "An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number that has been approved"? Is that statement a reference to the concurrent I-130 we're filing? I think the "...relative...visa petition filed with this application" is the I-130, right. Again, sorry, I just want to make extras sure I'm doing this right!

•Also in the I-485, Part 3, it asks for my Nonimmigrant Visa Number. I'm on TN-1 Status currently (not technically a visa). I have a stamp in my passport with TN written on it in pen, but no number visible. There _is_ a number on my I-94 card, is that the number that they want entered here, or should I fill that cell as "None"?

That's all for now; thank you so much in advance for any help!

Adam

Timeline

Hi Adam,

I am from Terrenceville on the Burin Peninsula but I have been in San Diego for 10 years now. I did the TN Visa thing for a long time but got married in 2008 so I just went through the green card process and got my GC last week. I'll add what I can to your list of questions below:

Thanks!

More clarification and questions:

•With regard to who should file each form, I just want to make sure that I'm doing this right:

- I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is signed by Katie (my American fiancee)

YES

- G-325a, Biographic Information, is signed one by me and one by her. (But I include a second one by me in the I-485 package.)

YES, MAKE SURE TO SIGN AND SEND ALL 4 COPIES OF EACH.

- I-864, Affidavit of Support, is signed by Katie, since her income is enough.

YES, MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE ALL OF THE CHECK STUBS, LETTER FROM HER COMPANY, AND TAX INFO REQUIRED TO VERIFY HER INCOME.

- I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is signed by me.

YES

- I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, is signed by me.

YES

- I-131, Application for Travel Document, is signed by me.

YES

- G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance, is signed by Katie, since she's the "petitioner."

I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS ONE.

•As for the cover letters, I can find no indication of who is supposed to sign them (one for the I-130, and another for the I-485). I presume that Katie has to sign the first, because she's filing the I-130, and that I have to sign the second, because I'm signing the I-485, but I don't want to _presume_ anything, so if someone could just verify that I'm thinking rightly here, that would be great!

SHE SIGNS THE I-130, YOU SIGN THE I-485.

•A fairly important one: In Part 2 of the I-485 (Application Type), which option do I choose? Is it (a) "An immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number that has been approved"? Is that statement a reference to the concurrent I-130 we're filing? I think the "...relative...visa petition filed with this application" is the I-130, right. Again, sorry, I just want to make extras sure I'm doing this right!

I CHOSE (a)

•Also in the I-485, Part 3, it asks for my Nonimmigrant Visa Number. I'm on TN-1 Status currently (not technically a visa). I have a stamp in my passport with TN written on it in pen, but no number visible. There _is_ a number on my I-94 card, is that the number that they want entered here, or should I fill that cell as "None"?

I WROTE "N/A"

That's all for now; thank you so much in advance for any help!

Adam

BELOW ARE MY I-485 & I-130 COVER LETTERS FOR YOUR REFERENCE.

October 10, 2009

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: I-485 petition

Dear Sir or Madam,

Enclosed please find the form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status for “My Name” and supporting documents.

The contents of this package are as follows:

• Application Fee: $930.00 + Biometrics Fee: $80.00 = $1,010.00

• Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

• Copy of Form I-797C, Notice of Action – Receipt Of I-130 Notice.

• Copy of all pages “My Name”’ Canada Passport.

• Copy of “My Name”’ valid I-94 (front and back)

• Copy of “My Name”’ Birth Certificate (front and back)

• Certified copy of “My Name”’ and “US Citizen Name”’s Marriage Certificate.

• Form G325A, Biographic Information (all four pages) with photo of “US Citizen Name”.

• Form G325A, Biographic Information (all four pages) with two photos of “My Name”.

• Original Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record in sealed envelope.

• Form I-864, Affidavit Of Support Under Section 213A of the Act and supporting documents;

- Copy of year 2008 US Federal Individual Income Tax Return (“US Citizen Name” & “My Name”).

- Year 2008 W-2 and Earnings Summary “US Citizen Name”.

- Transcript of year 2007 US Federal Individual Income Tax Return (“US Citizen Name”).

- Transcript of year 2006 US Federal Individual Income Tax Return (“US Citizen Name”).

- Letter verifying employment ("US Citizen Name”).

- Five recent check stubs (“US Citizen Name”).

• Form I-765, Application For Employment Authorization with two photos of “My Name” and a copy of “My Name”’ Canada Passport Biographical Page.

• Form I-131, Application For Travel Document with two photos of “My Name”, copy of “My Name”’ Canada Passport Biographical Page, and a copy of “My Name”’ valid I-94 (front and back).

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

“My Name”.

September 24, 2009

USCIS

RE: I-130 petition

Dear Sir or Madam,

Enclosed please find the form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative for “My Name” and supporting documents.

The contents of this package are as follows:

• Application Fee: $355.00.

• Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.

• Documents establishing petitioner’s US citizenship:

- Copy of Birth Certificate (front and back).

- Copy of all pages of non-expired US passport.

• Copy of Beneficiary’s Birth Certificate (front and back).

• Copy of all pages of Beneficiary’s Canada Passport.

• Certified copy of “My Name” and “US Citizen Name” Marriage Certificate.

• Form G325A, Biographic Information (all four pages) with photo of petitioner.

• Form G325A, Biographic Information (all four pages) with photo of beneficiary.

• Evidence of bona fide marriage.

- Copy of Apartment Lease Agreement.

- Copies of two affidavits.

- Year 2008 US Federal Individual Income Tax Return

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

"US Citizen Name".

As for the medical, you will need to get you vaccination records from the provincial government. They will fax it to you if you request it. I can dig up the contact info for you if you'd like. You then take this info to a doctor that is qualified to do Immigration Medicals. You can probably google "civil surgeon" to get a list of doctors. Health insurance does not cover it so you need to pay out of pocket. Mine cost $400 due to some vaccinations I had to get.

So where are you living in the US?

If you have any further questions feel free to send me a PM.

Take care,

Warren Myles.

My Timeline:

Nov.30, 1999 - Enter US with TN Visa.

Mar., 2001 - Met B through mutual friends.

Oct., 2007 - Proposed to B and she accepted.

Nov., 2008 - B & I get married.

Sept. 25, 2009 - Filed I-130 & I-485 with I-765 & I-131. (Sent Individually - Doh!)

Sept. 27 & 28, 2009 - Delivery of I-130 & AOS packages confirmed.

Oct. 8, 2009 - AOS package rejected due to missing I-130.

Oct. 10, 2009 - I-130 NOA received.

Oct. 13, 2009 - I-485, I-765, & I-131 re-sent with I-130 NOA.

Nov. 18, 2009 - Biometrics appointment (Dec. 1, 2009) notice received.

Nov. 20, 2009 - Walk-in biometrics completed.

Nov. 30, 2009 - Notice received; I-130 transferred to MO CSC.

Dec. 2, 2009 - AP Approved.

Dec. 3, 2009 - EAD production ordered.

Dec. 16, 2009 - Interview Appointment (01/25/09) Letter Received.

Jan. 25, 2010 - Interview Completed - Green Card To Be Received In 3 Weeks!!!

Feb. 12, 2010 - Green Card received.

Oct. 30, 2011 - Notification of removal of conditions received.

Nov. 17, 2011 - I-751 package sent.

Timeline

Thanks a million, Warren!

That was just incredibly helpful. The process as a whole so far has gone very smoothly, but whenever I try to explain to anyone what the hell I'm doing, their eyes glaze over and they eventually shake their heads and say either, "Wow, I'm glad I'm an American" or "Wow, I'm glad we got the lawyer to handle all that."

/cry

Katie and I got married on Tuesday down at the Ol' Courthouse. We're in New York, in Manhattan.

I went for my medical today. He took a blood sample, listened to me breathe, and gave me the TB #######; I was able to get my records faxed from Eastern Health, but they only go up to 1996, when I graduated from high school. I know I got a couple of other shots in 2003, when I was in Toronto before I moved to Taiwan. I think I got Twinrix and a Tetanus shot, but I don't have any of the paperwork from then (I think I gave it all to the Taiwanese government with my visa application). I called my doctor in Toronto, but he can't remember which Travel Clinic he sent me to for the shots (and neither can I, ha ha ha). I've called the ones he thinks are most likely, but no confirmations yet. Oh, well, the Civil Surgeon said that he really just needed something for Tetanus, or he'll give me a Tetanus shot (Td, I think) on Monday. The consult cost $135, with $60 for the bloodwork, and whatever the Td shot will be on top of that (hopefully less than $100).

After I get all this in the mail on Monday, then I need to try and get an Emergency Parole so I can go home in March-April for a week to see my grandmother!

Thanks again for the answers and your cover letters, such a big help. I'll be sure to let you know if I hit any more snags along the way!

Adam

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That was just incredibly helpful. The process as a whole so far has gone very smoothly, but whenever I try to explain to anyone what the hell I'm doing, their eyes glaze over and they eventually shake their heads and say either, "Wow, I'm glad I'm an American" or "Wow, I'm glad we got the lawyer to handle all that."

/cry

Katie and I got married on Tuesday down at the Ol' Courthouse. We're in New York, in Manhattan.

I went for my medical today. He took a blood sample, listened to me breathe, and gave me the TB #######; I was able to get my records faxed from Eastern Health, but they only go up to 1996, when I graduated from high school. I know I got a couple of other shots in 2003, when I was in Toronto before I moved to Taiwan. I think I got Twinrix and a Tetanus shot, but I don't have any of the paperwork from then (I think I gave it all to the Taiwanese government with my visa application). I called my doctor in Toronto, but he can't remember which Travel Clinic he sent me to for the shots (and neither can I, ha ha ha). I've called the ones he thinks are most likely, but no confirmations yet. Oh, well, the Civil Surgeon said that he really just needed something for Tetanus, or he'll give me a Tetanus shot (Td, I think) on Monday. The consult cost $135, with $60 for the bloodwork, and whatever the Td shot will be on top of that (hopefully less than $100).

After I get all this in the mail on Monday, then I need to try and get an Emergency Parole so I can go home in March-April for a week to see my grandmother!

Thanks again for the answers and your cover letters, such a big help. I'll be sure to let you know if I hit any more snags along the way!

Adam

Are you working on your TN?

I would verify if exiting and coming back will affect your TN since you are in an immigration proccess. I am no lawyer, but it might be safer if you have your Advance parole and your EAD before travelling. Since TN is a worker visa with no immigrand intent, I do not know how the CBP will react to this...

2006 to 2010 - Working on TN status
09/26/2009 - Wedding
02/16/2010 - Green Card in hand!
02/12/2012 - ROC Done, Green Card Received

09/15/2015 - Naturalization Ceremony

Timeline

/cry

Adam

Hi Adam,

Congrats on the marriage bud! I would definitely get the AP in hand prior to leaving the country as your TN implies that you are not planning to stay but in the meantime you will have a green card application pending!

As for the help, no worries. I have learned a lot through this process and I am glad to pass it on.

Take care,

Warren.

My Timeline:

Nov.30, 1999 - Enter US with TN Visa.

Mar., 2001 - Met B through mutual friends.

Oct., 2007 - Proposed to B and she accepted.

Nov., 2008 - B & I get married.

Sept. 25, 2009 - Filed I-130 & I-485 with I-765 & I-131. (Sent Individually - Doh!)

Sept. 27 & 28, 2009 - Delivery of I-130 & AOS packages confirmed.

Oct. 8, 2009 - AOS package rejected due to missing I-130.

Oct. 10, 2009 - I-130 NOA received.

Oct. 13, 2009 - I-485, I-765, & I-131 re-sent with I-130 NOA.

Nov. 18, 2009 - Biometrics appointment (Dec. 1, 2009) notice received.

Nov. 20, 2009 - Walk-in biometrics completed.

Nov. 30, 2009 - Notice received; I-130 transferred to MO CSC.

Dec. 2, 2009 - AP Approved.

Dec. 3, 2009 - EAD production ordered.

Dec. 16, 2009 - Interview Appointment (01/25/09) Letter Received.

Jan. 25, 2010 - Interview Completed - Green Card To Be Received In 3 Weeks!!!

Feb. 12, 2010 - Green Card received.

Oct. 30, 2011 - Notification of removal of conditions received.

Nov. 17, 2011 - I-751 package sent.

Timeline

Hi again!

Got my I-130/I-485 package into the mail today. I overnighted it (time's a-wastin'!) via USPS.

So, what happens now? I just wait until I get a letter? Is there a way to track my case on one of the internets?

Also, how long do we think I should wait before looking into getting an emergency parole to go to Canada on March 30 to visit my broken-hipped grandmother?

Again, thank god for VJ.com, or I would have been up an unpleasant creek with nar paddle.

Adam out!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.