ceriserose

SSN Question - Changing 'status'

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a hazy recollection of this topic "somewhere" on this board but the search function is down and so I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

As a K1 I received an SSN card that has "Not valid to work without DHS authorization" on it. I have had 2 of these cards so far, one in my maiden name and one in my married name. I've received EAD (12/2005) and more recently my Conditional Green Card (07/2006).

Someone on here was talking about having the 'not valid' line removed from their card, but I can't remember where in the process they were...at conditional green card, lifting conditions, or at some other point. I do remember a few pros and cons as to why one would do this and when but, well, it's kind of vague in my mind (can you tell? LOL).

So it is relevant or important (or even possible) for me at this stage to apply for an unrestricted card?

edit: I realize this is in the 'wrong' forum as it's labelled "prior to getting a Green Card", however most SSN queries are here so figured I'd keep them together. :)

Edited by ceriserose

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: Timeline

When an individual was previously issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS (or DHS) AUTHORIZATION” printed on it and has been granted permanent residency, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien granted permanent residency status is eligible to be issued an unrestricted SSN card and will retain the originally assigned SSN.

An alien applying for a work-authorized replacement SSN card must present evidence to establish identity and employment authorization.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

You can find detailed information regarding evidence of identity on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E

Employment Authorization Documents:

-- I-551 (Stamp or card)

Documents that establish lawfully admitted for permanent residence (LAPR)

-- I-551 card

NOTE: Some LAPR aliens have conditional 2-year I-551s (Alien Registration Receipt Card), subject to the limitation that they must apply for removal of the conditional basis 90 days before the second anniversary of the admittance date to the United States. A conditional I-551 is identified by an expiration date 2 years later than the admittance/adjudication date is acceptable proof of permanent residency.

-- Temporary I-551

Temporary evidence of immigrant status is issued for an alien to use

until the permanent I-551 card is received. This may be a stamp in the individual's passport or on the I-94.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

Form SS-5, “Application for a Social Security Card,” is the appropriate form to request a replacement card.

Form SS-5 can be requested by calling the SSA toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 or download from the SSA Website at:

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

Complete the Form SS-5 and take it along with the required documents, to the nearest Social Security office.

You can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an original SSN or replacement SSN card, SSA will verify his or her documents and current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If verification is not available through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA will send Form G-845 for manual verification.

RM 00203.720 Verifying Immigration Documents:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203720

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the Form SS-5.

This is great, I needed a refresher on this too. Once I get my green card in the mail I'll be going down to get the work restriction line taken off my SSN. You can not imagine the hassles it has caused.

We'll see how easily they'll change it for me.

Adjustment of Status 2008

May 6, 2008 ~~~~~~~ I751 package mailed to Vermont

May 17, 2008 ~~~~~~~~Check Cashed

May 19, 2008 ~~~~~~~~ NOA1

June 20, 2008 ~~~~~~~ Fingerprinting appointment

April 1, 2009 ~~~~~~~~ APPROVED!!!!

K-1 Visa

October 11, 2005 ~~~~~ Mailed I129F (Vermont)

October 25, 2005 ~~~~~ NOA2 in email (yay)

February 8, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview Day! APPROVED!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

March 27, 2006 ~~~~~~ Mailed AOS, EAD, AP to Chicago

March 29, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS, EAD, AP arrives at Chicago Lockbox

March 31, 2006 ~~~~~~~ NOA's for all 3

April 18, 2006 ~~~~~~ Biometrics Appointment in Providence

May 15, 2006 ~~~~~~ RFE in the mail-more financial info

May 26, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS touched

June 19, 2006 ~~~~~ EAD Card in the mail

July 27, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview for Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We went to the local SSA office this morning (we had the day off) to take care of this. I had the SS-5 form filled out, copies of this thread (for the links mdyoung provided, just in case), my green card, marriage license, birth certificate, passport and driver's license. She looked at all of those documents.

Absolutely no problem. I should have my new card without restrictions in the next couple of weeks. :) I have to say that our local office in this tiny little town certainly seems to have their stuff together. :yes:

Thanks again mdyoung! Your help is certainly one of the best things on this site! :star:

And Canucker, hopefully yours will be as easy. :thumbs:

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

We were told we cannot get the wording taken off the card UNTIL we have the restrictions removed in two years. The very nice (and smart -- i'm being sarcastic) lady told us that as long as he has his green card what is written on the actual SS card does not matter.....whatever. I am so sick of dealing with those people......

I know mdyoung....I know. But sometimes it's just not worth the fight.

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Timeline
We were told we cannot get the wording taken off the card UNTIL we have the restrictions removed in two years. The very nice (and smart -- i'm being sarcastic) lady told us that as long as he has his green card what is written on the actual SS card does not matter.....whatever. I am so sick of dealing with those people......

I would have told the "smart woman" that with the 2 year greencard at some point during the removal of conditions he will have an expired greencard and a restricted SSN card so he has no proof of work authorization. Then he has to make an INFOPASS appointment and to get an I-551 stamp and that's only good for a year. If he has an unrestricted SSN card he has work authorization that doesn't expire.

I would either go back and see the office manager if you again get jerked around or go to another more enlightened SSA office.

I know it is in our best interest to get this taken care of -- thanks to you, of course (L) -- at the time it just wasn't worth it. She was just so much smarter than me.....we are going to go back and get it taken care of....this time we will make an appointment ahead of time and not leave the office until we get what we want!! What we really needed that day was the "authorization to work" paper....we got that with no problem.....NEVER would I think I would deal with the Government and get two things done correctly at the same time :lol:

You're the best!!!!

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.