Alexa2011

Adjusment of status,and EAD application,after the wedding Q's

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello to all the members here,I am new on this site but been reading here alot since I met my fiance,I am a filipina I am engaged and soon to be married with the most important person in my life.

I got here in the USA,dec 9 of 2009,My I-94 WILL EXPIRED on MARCH 10,2010.we are planning to get married on the 1st week of march,maybe 5 days before my I-94 expiration.

My Questions are:

1.)Is it safe to get married very close to the expiration date?(my fiance is working and it is not always easy to do things without planing.)ya know:)I am being paranoid that USCIS will put some bad comments for that during our future AOS application,and I couldn't afford on getting trouble here!

2.)Our plan is to go get married on the beach(only two of us:)and have some pictures of the wedding ceremony,just to get this done and have another church ceremony by mid this year with family and friends as weather is alot better.We supposed to do this in church this month but as winter season so we changed our plan.

I agreed that we will just go somewhere and do the proper wedding when it is not cold anymore.(but my concern is do you guys think the USCIS wont suspect us and our relationship when they saw that none of the both parties family on the wedding ceremony?

3.)does wedding pictures necessary to send along the application of AOS?do we really have to show them the pictures or married certificate is fine?and just save the pics for the interview later.:0 don't have idea..

4.)I heard about this EAD thing and in order to work you must apply this right?but what if we won't file for EAD, as it cost another $300 and just wait for the greencard and applied for work?is it safe to do?or they really need EAD even you got a greencard?

5.)How long it would take to finish the AOS process?

6.)when I did a medical at st.lukes the Dr.who gave my vaccination told me to do one more shot in the US(After 2 months from my medical date)unfortanately I haven't take any vaccination yet as I don't have idea where to get it done..So do you guys experienced the same thing especially those k1 visa holder?and where did you go get your vaccination and how much one vaccination cost?

7.)How long do we need to apply for AOS after the wedding?is it safe to do maybe after a month?well I read on some people's posts says right after the wedding as "I-94 EXPIRED"visa holder wont have a legal status then right?but also I heard some people didn't apply till months later so that is just a lil confusing.

I want to do the right thing,and avoid so much pressures for me and my fiance.

By the way When I got here after a couple of weeks I opened a savings and checking account,both in my single name,the problem is in order to write a check I gotta have a valid state id,so when we go ahead and apply for it the personnel told me that I needed SSN card,so we go ahead and apply for it so that we can get a state id and do the driving written test.

my last question is

Is it easy to change your SSN name to your married name in the future?

Thanks a lot for reading our concerns We do appreciate for your replies and I'M sorry that I made lots of questions I trully believed that lots of here are generous to share their knowledge.!God bless us all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello to all the members here,I am new on this site but been reading here alot since I met my fiance,I am a filipina I am engaged and soon to be married with the most important person in my life.

I got here in the USA,dec 9 of 2009,My I-94 WILL EXPIRED on MARCH 10,2010.we are planning to get married on the 1st week of march,maybe 5 days before my I-94 expiration.

My Questions are:

1.)Is it safe to get married very close to the expiration date?(my fiance is working and it is not always easy to do things without planing.)ya know:)I am being paranoid that USCIS will put some bad comments for that during our future AOS application,and I couldn't afford on getting trouble here! Yes you are being paranoid

2.)Our plan is to go get married on the beach(only two of us:)and have some pictures of the wedding ceremony,just to get this done and have another church ceremony by mid this year with family and friends as weather is alot better.We supposed to do this in church this month but as winter season so we changed our plan.

I agreed that we will just go somewhere and do the proper wedding when it is not cold anymore.(but my concern is do you guys think the USCIS wont suspect us and our relationship when they saw that none of the both parties family on the wedding ceremony? Stop being paranoid

3.)does wedding pictures necessary to send along the application of AOS?do we really have to show them the pictures or married certificate is fine?and just save the pics for the interview later.:0 don't have idea.. Not with initial I-485... If you are interviewed then that is when you show proofs

4.)I heard about this EAD thing and in order to work you must apply this right?but what if we won't file for EAD, as it cost another $300 and just wait for the greencard and applied for work?is it safe to do?or they really need EAD even you got a greencard? If file the I-765 with the I-485 and then the I-765 is "fee waived"

5.)How long it would take to finish the AOS process? 4-6 mos. typical

6.)when I did a medical at st.lukes the Dr.who gave my vaccination told me to do one more shot in the US(After 2 months from my medical date)unfortanately I haven't take any vaccination yet as I don't have idea where to get it done..So do you guys experienced the same thing especially those k1 visa holder?and where did you go get your vaccination and how much one vaccination cost? You can get it done anywhere you want (local clinic, public health department) but you will need a Civil Surgeoun to update you vaccination record for immigration purposes

7.)How long do we need to apply for AOS after the wedding?is it safe to do maybe after a month? As Soon As Practicable well I read on some people's posts says right after the wedding as "I-94 EXPIRED"visa holder wont have a legal status then right?but also I heard some people didn't apply till months later so that is just a lil confusing.

By the way When I got here after a couple of weeks I opened a savings and checking account,both in my single name,the problem is in order to write a check I gotta have a valid state id,so when we go ahead and apply for it the personnel told me that I needed SSN card,so we go ahead and apply for it so that we can get a state id and do the driving written test.

my last question is

Is it easy to change your SSN name to your married name in the future? Easiest is when you have an immigration document in your married name

YMMV

My Questions are:

1.)Is it safe to get married very close to the expiration date?(my fiance is working and it is not always easy to do things without planing.)ya know:)I am being paranoid that USCIS will put some bad comments for that during our future AOS application,and I couldn't afford on getting trouble here!

I agreed that we will just go somewhere and do the proper wedding when it is not cold anymore.(but my concern is do you guys think the USCIS wont suspect us and our relationship when they saw that none of the both parties family on the wedding ceremony?

3.)does wedding pictures necessary to send along the application of AOS?do we really have to show them the pictures or married certificate is fine?and just save the pics for the interview later.:0 don't have idea..

4.)I heard about this EAD thing and in order to work you must apply this right?but what if we won't file for EAD, as it cost another $300 and just wait for the greencard and applied for work?is it safe to do?or they really need EAD even you got a greencard?

5.)How long it would take to finish the AOS process?

6.)when I did a medical at st.lukes the Dr.who gave my vaccination told me to do one more shot in the US(After 2 months from my medical date)unfortanately I haven't take any vaccination yet as I don't have idea where to get it done..So do you guys experienced the same thing especially those k1 visa holder?and where did you go get your vaccination and how much one vaccination cost?

7.)How long do we need to apply for AOS after the wedding?is it safe to do maybe after a month?well I read on some people's posts says right after the wedding as "I-94 EXPIRED"visa holder wont have a legal status then right?but also I heard some people didn't apply till months later so that is just a lil confusing.

my last question is

Is it easy to change your SSN name to your married name in the future?

Thanks a lot for reading our concerns We do appreciate for your replies and I'M sorry that I made lots of questions I trully believed that lots of here are generous to share their knowledge.!God bless us all.

1. Yes, it's ok to get married several days before your i-94 expires. no bearing on your AOS.

BUT you will not be able to get a SSN because the requirement is a valid i-94. you won't have emough time because a cert of marriage can sometimes take a week)

better to apply for an SSN in your maiden name NOW so you can open a bank acct already. after you get married and get your cert, go back and change to your married name

if you dont have time anymore, no worry because you will only need to wait till you get your GC and then apply for an SSN, and by then in your married name

2. No problem with your beach wedding. most couples have their first wedding at the townhall with just them and a couple of witnesses. what's important is you have pictures and a marriage cert (later) to prove that the marriage took place

3. yes, pictures are good for evidence when you later apply for AOS. but don't worry because you don't have to send them after you get them. you first send in your application (w/c does not require those pictures) and then come interview time (around 4 months after you send your application), you will bring your proofs (time to bring your pics, docs, etc) so plenty of time to prepare

4. the EAD is required if you're applying for a job. since it it's free if sent in with your AOS application, it's good to apply for it at the same time.

if you're not planning on getting a job yet, just wait for your GC because then you won't need an EAD anymore.

also, if you don't apply for an SSN now, even if you get your EAD, you still won't be able to get a job, so your choice (apply for SSN now in your single name or wait for your AOS/GC and apply for SSN in your married name)

5. average of 4 months (application has no problems) , but depending on your application, could take longer

6. have it at any clinic or hospital with a registered civil surgeon who can fill out the 693 form. mine (2) cost $100 total

7. the ideal is as soon as you can have your application ready. others wait til they have the money.

technically you're out of status at the time, so be careful not to get involved in any law violations because if authorities find out you haven't applied for AOS yet you will need to explain

about the state ID, you get this in place of a driver;s license (if you don;t drive, you gotta have this)

but if you intend to apply for a driver's license, no need to get it

still if you just want to have one, go get one

for your last question, it's easy to change from your maiden name to your married name. just bring the correct requirements.

good luck and god bless! :)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Timeline
** Although the OP has no timeline, it appears this is a K-1 AOS topic; moving thread to "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas"
** Although the OP has no timeline, it appears this is a K-1 AOS topic; moving thread to "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas"

Timeline
1. Yes, it's ok to get married several days before your i-94 expires. no bearing on your AOS.

BUT you will not be able to get a SSN because the requirement is a valid i-94. you won't have emough time because a cert of marriage can sometimes take a week)

better to apply for an SSN in your maiden name NOW so you can open a bank acct already. after you get married and get your cert, go back and change to your married name

if you dont have time anymore, no worry because you will only need to wait till you get your GC and then apply for an SSN, and by then in your married name

2. No problem with your beach wedding. most couples have their first wedding at the townhall with just them and a couple of witnesses. what's important is you have pictures and a marriage cert (later) to prove that the marriage took place

3. yes, pictures are good for evidence when you later apply for AOS. but don't worry because you don't have to send them after you get them. you first send in your application (w/c does not require those pictures) and then come interview time (around 4 months after you send your application), you will bring your proofs (time to bring your pics, docs, etc) so plenty of time to prepare

4. the EAD is required if you're applying for a job. since it it's free if sent in with your AOS application, it's good to apply for it at the same time.

if you're not planning on getting a job yet, just wait for your GC because then you won't need an EAD anymore.

also, if you don't apply for an SSN now, even if you get your EAD, you still won't be able to get a job, so your choice (apply for SSN now in your single name or wait for your AOS/GC and apply for SSN in your married name)

5. average of 4 months (application has no problems) , but depending on your application, could take longer

6. have it at any clinic or hospital with a registered civil surgeon who can fill out the 693 form. mine (2) cost $100 total

7. the ideal is as soon as you can have your application ready. others wait til they have the money.

technically you're out of status at the time, so be careful not to get involved in any law violations because if authorities find out you haven't applied for AOS yet you will need to explain

about the state ID, you get this in place of a driver;s license (if you don;t drive, you gotta have this)

but if you intend to apply for a driver's license, no need to get it

still if you just want to have one, go get one

for your last question, it's easy to change from your maiden name to your married name. just bring the correct requirements.

good luck and god bless! :)

Hello thanks for the very fast reply!I applied for SSN with my fiance a week ago and now waiting for the card.I apply for it as it is need to get a state id,and the reason of getting a state id is because I couldn't issue any check without a valid id here in USA,Also when I went to apply for the state id after we were told to get an SSN we are advice to take the written driving test.

By the way it is nice to know that it was free to apply for EAD if you apply it along your AOS,I thought we have to pay for it as well that's why I considered on waiting the gc as it wont be necessary anymore.

so what are the fors do we need to fill up for over all applications?and how much do we need to fee for EAD,AOS application?

sorry if this has been discuss before I tried to scan the previous adjustment topic but I am having a hard time..

Thanks alot for the kind hearted reply all

so what are the fors do we need to fill up for over all applications?and how much do we need to fee for EAD,AOS application?

sorry if this has been discuss before I tried to scan the previous adjustment topic but I am having a hard time..

There is a Step by Step AOS/Adjustment of Status Guide for K-1/K-3 Visa entrants that will give you all the details (forms, what to include, etc). Found HERE

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.