biglos

My Montreal Interview CR1 Review

24 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

Sorry to take so long for my interview review but we had a night of Foie Gras at Au Pied De Couchon Restuarant in Montreal last night as our CELEBRATION!

Here's my review step by step:

Woke up SUPER early, set my cell phone clock wrong and woke up at 345 am...haha...couldn't sleep anyway...

Got to the US Consulate at 645am to line up and not a soul in sight, yay I was first in line! My sister lived 4min away from the consulate by car so we are lucky!

It was cold, thank God for my parka, us westcoast Vancouverites aren't used to this kind of cold, but considering the weather I was lucky it was this mild.

Sent my wife and my sister to Tim Hortons (1 Block away) to get some coffee and a breakfast sandwich.

Just after 7am a few more people started showing up and by 715am the line started to grow.

745am: Security Guard came down to unlock the doors told us to line up on the left side of the doors (the side where the driveway/garage door is) so my sister took our junk and headed off to Tim Hortons to wait for us, I told her we should be out of there just after 9am, as pre-determined time according to LGG - thanks!

750am: Went in the doors, security guard asked who are you with, I said my Wife and I, he asked to see my interview letter and both our passports and gave us a checklist cover sheet of things to prepare to have out - PLEASE NOTE: we had sent ALL our paper work to the NVC prior our interview so this may not apply to some people!

1. Passports

2. Photos (please print names on back) - They didnt ask for any from me

3. Medical Report ( please remove the report from the x-ray) - They take the envelope separate from you so pry it off the x-ray.

4. Update Police certificate - they didn't ask for mine

5. Updated Evidence or support (I-864, most recent taxes, I-134 or job letter) - they didnt ask for any of this

6. Return Envelope / Xpress postmailer (please add your return address) - glad to stop holding that

and gave us the letter "A"

Next: went to the next set of doors, 5 steps away, and the next security guard asked us to come in and put all our junk on the counter and empty our pockets into the trays for them to be x-rayed, as well as to remove our jackets and everything in our pockets and directed us through the metal detectors.

Next 8am: We were directed to go down the flight stairs to the next waiting room (just a room full of chairs and an instant photo booth, in case you forgot to get photos) and wait for another security guard to take us up to the 19th floor to another waiting room, where he said to wait and they will call you.

Next 810am: My wife and I were the only ones up there, it was kinda funny...we waited and watched an elevator FULL of the others in line come up, however they all went to the other side of the waiting room - maybe K-1 visa'ers? Seemed like we were the only CR1's so far, but who knows

Next 835am: They called my name to come to window 11, where they took my passport, got me to verify and sign that the info on my previously sent in DS230 Part 1, then the lady took my fingerprints and then asked for my Xpress postmailer and the Medical Exam Envelope (without the x-ray)

Next 845am: The very nice lady asked us to go and sit again to wait and they will call my name for the actual interview

Next 9am: They called my name to room 7, an actual room with a nice lady behind some glass, asked us the raise our right hands and take an oath.

She asked me:

When you did you meet?

Where did you meet?

You have been together ever since?

When did you propose?

When did you get married?

What do you do for a living and do you plan to do something similar in the US?

Where do you live?

How far is it from where I live?

Asked my Wife:

What do you do for a living?

Do you have medical insurance and can your husband be put on it?

Where do you live?

How far is it from where you live?

and that was it ...she then stated she had nothing else to ask but to say Welcome to the United States of America. :dance:

I asked if she was gonna take my x-ray and she said no, its yours, you paid for it so you might as well keep it. I dragged to all the way from Vancouver! hahaha

9:10am outta there! Other than that, that's what I can remember, if there's anything I forgot I will post it.

Thank you all for your tips, support and direction, the journey has been worth it all!

We are spending a couple more days in beautiful Montreal to spend time with my sister and her husband and we are back to Vancouver on Friday to await my Passport in the mail and prepare for my POE.

I'll check back in....gotta get over my Foie Gras hangover....best meal ever!!!! :dance:

Timeline

Congrats on a successful interview, Biglos! Thanks for the review. Note to self: try Foie Gras when in Montreal.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's awesome!

Don't know how everyone remembers such detailed accounts of the process - I'd be so frazzled I wouldn't be able to remember my own name by the end. :D

Glad you had a nice meal at PdC, I've heard very mixed reviews.

Congratulations :)

Timeline

Thank guys! Very happy to finally be able to share the experience!

Trailmix: I received my original Birth Certificate back, the Certified copy of our Marriage Certificate and the AOS my wife sent. That was it.

Good Luck to you all!

Timeline

Hey Biglos!

A BIG congrats to you! That is amazing news!

Good thing you got there early, eh?

Best wishes to you and you both...

:D

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline
Thank guys! Very happy to finally be able to share the experience!

Trailmix: I received my original Birth Certificate back, the Certified copy of our Marriage Certificate and the AOS my wife sent. That was it.

Good Luck to you all!

Oh that's interesting, they gave you back the affidavit of support - so I assume they gave you back the photo copy you sent and kept the original?

Sorry if my questions are annoying, just think it helps the folks that interview to know what to expect in terms of documents being returned :)

Thanks!

Timeline

No not annoying at all!

Our lives and relationships are at stake and we are all WELL invested into the process and its our main purpose to happily share what we can to make the journey easy and informative for others :dance:

Original Birth Cert, Certified Marriage Cert and AOS (possilbe copy) was given back to us.

Anyone else wanna add their returns?

Oh that's interesting, they gave you back the affidavit of support - so I assume they gave you back the photo copy you sent and kept the original?

Sorry if my questions are annoying, just think it helps the folks that interview to know what to expect in terms of documents being returned :)

Thanks!

Timeline

YEA!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS Number One!!!

For me this is really exciting because I have actually met you!! See you in Washington!! lol

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Timeline

I say only a so-so review!! Would have been a stellar review, BUT you did NOT mention which way the elevator doors open!! lol Congrats!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Don't forget to post on this thread when your passport and Visa arrive from Montreal!!! THAT timeline is definatly somethng we are all interested in!!!

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.