Sven

Any Spaniards here?

3 posts in this topic

A friend of mine was born in the U.S. His dad was born and raised in Spain. For some reason his parents never claimed spanish citizenship for him. Well, he's 24 now and I'm kinda thinking 18 is the cutoff date to claim it, but I really don't know. His das had obviously spanish citizenship when he ( my friend ) was born. But I don't know if his dad still has spanish citizenship. Shouldn't matter though, since he had it at his birth. I already e-mailed the spanish consulate, but I haven't heard back. Maybe someone on here knows a little more about it.

Thanks a lot!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
A friend of mine was born in the U.S. His dad was born and raised in Spain. For some reason his parents never claimed spanish citizenship for him. Well, he's 24 now and I'm kinda thinking 18 is the cutoff date to claim it, but I really don't know. His das had obviously spanish citizenship when he ( my friend ) was born. But I don't know if his dad still has spanish citizenship. Shouldn't matter though, since he had it at his birth. I already e-mailed the spanish consulate, but I haven't heard back. Maybe someone on here knows a little more about it.

Thanks a lot!

Hi, I'm not Spanish, but my husband is. I've spent a lot of time on the Spanish Government's websites for my own reasons, though, and here is a link that might help - it's in Spanish, but hopefully you or your friend can read the legal stuff.

http://www.maec.es/es/MenuPpal/Consulares/...cionalidad.aspx

Apparently they've recently changed a law, and it isn't too hard for someone who a Spanish parent to become a citizen (you used to have to have lived in Spain a certain amount of time). Basically, your friend needs to fill out a form, take his birth certificate with an apostille, his father's birth certificate (from the Registry where he was born, or maybe the local Consulate can get it for him but that usually takes months) and make an appt with the appropriate Consulate. From what I understand (and I may be mistaken) he has until December of 2010 to move forward with the process.

Not so difficult.

Hi, I'm not Spanish, but my husband is. I've spent a lot of time on the Spanish Government's websites for my own reasons, though, and here is a link that might help - it's in Spanish, but hopefully you or your friend can read the legal stuff.

http://www.maec.es/es/MenuPpal/Consulares/...cionalidad.aspx

Apparently they've recently changed a law, and it isn't too hard for someone who a Spanish parent to become a citizen (you used to have to have lived in Spain a certain amount of time). Basically, your friend needs to fill out a form, take his birth certificate with an apostille, his father's birth certificate (from the Registry where he was born, or maybe the local Consulate can get it for him but that usually takes months) and make an appt with the appropriate Consulate. From what I understand (and I may be mistaken) he has until December of 2010 to move forward with the process.

Not so difficult.

Thanks a lot! Wondering why the spanish embassy didn't reply. Sometimes the Spaniards are so slow :blush:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.