Mrs. P

More ???? regarding filling out forms

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Cad_bacon,

In answer to your question...

I don't know specifically about the CR-1 process..(I've never been through such)...but...

Generally, if you want everything in your married name, then yes, change all your documents to your married name. In most cases, all you need is just your marriage certificate, and they should be ok with the update there, as a marriage certificate is a legal document allowable for name changes.. It's much easier to do it now, then to have to do it later....

As for the green card, yes, get that name change first. That's the simple one, as all you have to do is just write on your CR-1 application form the married name that you want to use on your green card. Also, provide proof of that, with your marriage certificate (which you will have to provide anyways). This is what I did (as told by a lawyer), when I got married, and had no other US identification. I got my green card with my married name first, and then from there all the rest of my US identification (SSN, driver's license, etc.) was in my married name....

You have to make a decision now about putting the green card in your married name or maiden name, when you apply for it, otherwise, you will have to pay an additional $300+ for a name change for a replacement, or wait until citizenship for a name change. So yeah, in that case, you might as well do it now than wait too...

If you are going to do name changes in the USA, again, here is what I suggest.....

For the USA...

Put all immigration applications forms and documents in your married name (green card, ead, advance parole, citizenship certificate, etc.)

Put your SSN in your married name (needed for finances, banks, jobs, etc.)

Put other US identification documents (driver's license, health card, etc.) in your married name

Put your tax information/IRS information in your married name.

If you are going to do/not do name changes, here is what I suggest.....

For Canada....

Put your SIN in your married name (needed for finances, banks, jobs, etc.)

Put your Canadian passport in you married name (for travel...but you must be careful with this one..and make sure you book tickets in this name too). Note too, that when you change your passport to your married name, you have to apply for a new one over again (with gurarrantors, references, etc.), as to Passport Canada it is considered a new passport, and not a rsimplified enewal.

Put your other Canadian identification documents (driver's license, health card, etc.) in your married name

Put your tax information/Revenue Canada information in your married ame

***And most important of all: Always have a copy of your marriage certificate, in case you run into any problems with your maiden/married names!***

Lol..Sigh...The things we women have to do when we get married and change our last names.....

Bottom line: You can use your married name right away. Make the changes right away, and your life will be easier later on....

Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey and with the name changes too.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Timeline

(replied via PM...but wasn't sure if you got the message as I was having problems with my VJ PM lately...so I'll reply here too...)

Hi Cad_bacon,

Sorry that I couldn't help you out more about the CR-1 process, as I have no clue about that....Nevertheless, I hope you do find the answers that you do need here on vj from others who have gone through the same process too.

That's odd that in your other post, the guy's wife's married name was changed back to the maiden name.

I think it also make sense, as the name on the CR-1 visa (which is a page in your passport) has to match the name in the passport, in order to be used for travel/immigration processes.

So if I were you, this is what I would do: Update your Canadian passport with your married name, asap!

It's better to spend $100 CDN on a new married name passport now,

than to have to spend another $300+ for a replacement green card later with your maiden name to your married name,

as whatever they put on the appplication form is what is going to be on your green card right away for a very long time (unless you pay and wait for the replacement or wait until US Citizenship).....

By the way, Canadian passports only take about a week when applying within Canada. Just go to your local passport office, apply in-person, submit the forms and fees and photos and get the guarrantors and references, and you're good to go. Do this first, then you have new identification and proof of your new married name. You can then use your married name to travel and other purposes later on, which makes things a lot easier too.

So when you get this CR-1 process all done, you will have your Canadian passport and green card in your married names..and you can change/update your other identification accordingly.

Lol..I think you might be right about the name change thing for me, as I was already here in the USA anyways, so they didn't have to bother with a visa for me, and hence I could wait later to do the name changes later on (though it some cases it was harder to get it changed later). Lol...Oh well...

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your name change and immigration journey.

Ant

P.S. You have your SSN card and number for the rest of your life, regardless of how you got it in the first place. So all you have to do is just update the SSA about your new immigration status and your new married name and you're good to go there. Lol..It sure beats applying for a new SSN in the first place! At least you have an SSN already, which will certainly make your transition into the USA a lot easier too, as you can start using that right away!

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

and once again to clarify...in order to change my passport I would have to change some other form of ID like my Driver's license in order to do so right? I really didn't want to have to change anything, but it looks like I will have to in order to have my married name used in the U.S :wacko:

If she changes her passport before the interview, then her visa will be issued in her married name. Then her US identification will also be in her married name

Good luck.

Thanks! I actually did receive your PM's! Thanks for all the info and advice!

(replied via PM...but wasn't sure if you got the message as I was having problems with my VJ PM lately...so I'll reply here too...)

Hi Cad_bacon,

Sorry that I couldn't help you out more about the CR-1 process, as I have no clue about that....Nevertheless, I hope you do find the answers that you do need here on vj from others who have gone through the same process too.

That's odd that in your other post, the guy's wife's married name was changed back to the maiden name.

I think it also make sense, as the name on the CR-1 visa (which is a page in your passport) has to match the name in the passport, in order to be used for travel/immigration processes.

So if I were you, this is what I would do: Update your Canadian passport with your married name, asap!

It's better to spend $100 CDN on a new married name passport now,

than to have to spend another $300+ for a replacement green card later with your maiden name to your married name,

as whatever they put on the appplication form is what is going to be on your green card right away for a very long time (unless you pay and wait for the replacement or wait until US Citizenship).....

By the way, Canadian passports only take about a week when applying within Canada. Just go to your local passport office, apply in-person, submit the forms and fees and photos and get the guarrantors and references, and you're good to go. Do this first, then you have new identification and proof of your new married name. You can then use your married name to travel and other purposes later on, which makes things a lot easier too.

So when you get this CR-1 process all done, you will have your Canadian passport and green card in your married names..and you can change/update your other identification accordingly.

Lol..I think you might be right about the name change thing for me, as I was already here in the USA anyways, so they didn't have to bother with a visa for me, and hence I could wait later to do the name changes later on (though it some cases it was harder to get it changed later). Lol...Oh well...

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your name change and immigration journey.

Ant

P.S. You have your SSN card and number for the rest of your life, regardless of how you got it in the first place. So all you have to do is just update the SSA about your new immigration status and your new married name and you're good to go there. Lol..It sure beats applying for a new SSN in the first place! At least you have an SSN already, which will certainly make your transition into the USA a lot easier too, as you can start using that right away!

Chantéa's USCIS Journey:

2010 Jul 17 -- Filed I-130

2010 Aug 4 -- NOA 1

2010 Aug 9 -- NOA 1 Hardcopy

2010 Nov 2 -- Transferred from CSC to TSC

2010 Nov 24--Touched

2011 Feb 9 -- Touched

2011 Feb 10--Transferred BACK to CSC *rolls eyes*

2011 Feb 11-- Touched AGAIN (uscis office)

2011 Feb 25--email notification of APPROVAL!!!! (Thank ya Jesus)

2011 Mar 3--NOA2 Hardcopy

Your I-130 was approved in 205 days from your NOA1 date.

Chantéa's NVC Journey:

2011 Mar 8--received case # dated Mar 7, sent OPTIN email for electronic processing with attached DS-3032 form.

2011 Mar 9--received IIN and Beneficiary ID #, AOS bill invoiced/paid, submitted DS-261 (Choice of Agent)

2011 Mar 11--AOS bill shows as PAID and IV bill invoiced

2011 Mar 14--paid IV bill

2011 Mar 16-- IV bill shows as PAID

2011 Apr 11--submitted AOS and IV package and resent OPTIN email

2011 Apr 12--received OPTIN acceptance email

2011 Apr 13--received email notifying that my AOS and IV package was received

2011 May 4--received RFE email

2011 May 5--resent both packages

2011 May 14--received RFE email

2011 May 30--sent in missing document

2011 June 6--received CC email (Case Complete) and SIF (Sign in Failed)

2011 June 14-- interview date assigned for July 20!!

2011 Jul 11--Medical at Dr. Seiden & Associates

2011 Jul 20-- The big day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, in order to get your passport changed you'll have to change your driver's licence.

Honestly, if you want to use your married name in the US, it is heaps easier to change your name in Canada, then have your green card issued in your married name.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Yes, in order to get your passport changed you'll have to change your driver's licence.

Honestly, if you want to use your married name in the US, it is heaps easier to change your name in Canada, then have your green card issued in your married name.

Good luck.

Yes, to change your passport you will need 2 pieces if identification in your new name. It will definitely simplify things to make the change in Canada prior to your move.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So all her US identification will be in her maiden name? Like her Green Card and SSN?

Thanks guys for the encouragement! I can see that this process will have it's ups and downs, but in the end be all worth it!

I'm not that far yet as far as the SSN card but im sure when we get the Drivers license they will put that in her married name.

And yes I thought that was odd too, And i asked but they said they had to go off whatever her passport said which of course was her maiden name. I probably would have changed it had i known before hand but didnt know till the actual interview. No big deal will probably change it when all the paper work is finalized and we get settled in. dont want to have a mix up with anything, just to be finished with the whole mess for now is good enough for me:)

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage :

I-130 Sent : 2009-04-07

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-04-14

I-130 Approved : 2009-06-12

Receive IV Bill : 2009-08-25

Pay IV Bill : 2009-08-25

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-08-28

Case Completed at NVC :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received : 2009-12-18

Packet 4 Received : 2009-12-10

Interview Date : 2010-01-06 Submit Review

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry : 2010-02-06

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 59 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 267 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.