Katbird

the next best steps for a Canadian wanting to marry a US citizen

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Canadian.

I came to the US and met the man of my dreams.

What would happen should we marry here-in the US now? (and deal with the paperwork after the fact?)

I am a frequent visitor and have a passport but it has never been stamped, so I couldn't establish a time of entry

And what sort of time table of events are the best way to go?

I have tried to find the answers here before posting, but I seem to get more and more confused

Any and all answers will be helpful. Thank you!

I am a Canadian.

I came to the US and met the man of my dreams.

What would happen should we marry here-in the US now? (and deal with the paperwork after the fact?)

I am a frequent visitor and have a passport but it has never been stamped, so I couldn't establish a time of entry

And what sort of time table of events are the best way to go?

I have tried to find the answers here before posting, but I seem to get more and more confused

Any and all answers will be helpful. Thank you!

Just curious...

How do you visit often and have a passport but have no stamps ? Don't they ask for ID when you enter?

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

Timeline
Just curious...

How do you visit often and have a passport but have no stamps ? Don't they ask for ID when you enter?

the Id I showed included my passport, DL, and birth certificates. . . nothing was stamped

Does one need proof of entry before getting married in the US?

Timeline
Just curious...

the Id I showed included my passport, DL, and birth certificates. . . nothing was stamped

I have no other documents and have not violated any laws. . . that I know of. . .I came as a visitor and am still

we are mature couple and know what we want, but we want to do things as fast and/but legal as possible.

(edited to add more info)sorry I had to re-post this as the edit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Often Canadian will enter the US with just a swipe of the passport and a "welcome to the US" - no stamps and no I-94.

Katbird - are you currently in the US?

I strongly suggest you do not 'deal with the paperwork after the fact'. There are way to many ways you can complicate your case between now and then that can lead you to a denial.

Giving us more details about where you currently are, when the last time you entered the US (as a tourist? worker?) etc.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I have no other documents and have not violated any laws. . . that I know of. . .I came as a visitor and am still

we are mature couple and know what we want, but we want to do things as fast and/but legal as possible.

(edited to add more info)sorry I had to re-post this as the edit

If you had NO intention of marrying and staying when you entered the US [and can prove that, see below], then yes, you can marry and apply for a green card.

You would do so by filing an I-130 at the same time as you file the I-485 application for permanent residence.

There are two big cautions to keep in mind though:

The first is that you will need some way to prove that you had no intent to marry at the time you entered to US. You could prove this by demonstrating that you had strong ties to Canada at the time you left (Mortgage payments, an employer who was expecting you to return, rental agreement, etc...) Failure to prove this could be construed as having misrepresented yourself to the customs officer who let you in, which would result in your green card being denied, which leads to caution number two:

Unlike adjusting status from a fiance visa (or a K-3 spousal nonimmigrant visa), when you adjust status from a tourist visa (which is what you effectively have) there is no option for appeal if your adjustment of status application is denied.

Don't get me wrong, many people have successfully adjusted status from a tourist visa, and everything has gone completely fine. But it is a significantly riskier approach. The odds of success are basically the same (very good) but the consequences associated with the possible denial are significantly more difficult to overcome.

The safer (and IMHO, better) approach would be either for you to return to Canada, and begin the process of applying for a K-1 fiancee visa, and then get married in the US after you move down there permanently, or to get married now, return to Canada, and begin the process of applying for a CR-1 spousal immigrant visa.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Admins, you may want to move this thread out to somewhere less specific...

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Before you leave!!!!!!!!

How long have you been in the US since your last exit? If more than 180 days past your 6 months allowed, DO NOT EXIT! If more than 180 days, consult an attorney and just do AOS.

Edited by emt103c

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.