Eli the Barrowboy

Bringing 17-y-o daughter to live

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

So a few quick questions for those of you in the know.

My daughter is 17 - she'll be 18 in late June. We'll be bringing her to the USA this summer for her Green Card an hopefully she'll stay for a long time. A few question to ask you all.

1. Will she have to go to London for both a medical AND an interview?

2. This is where it gets tricky. Obviously her mother and I are no longer together. We have no court papers dealing with custody as they no longer have "custody" in the UK. In any event, what passes for custody runs out at 16 in the UK so my daughter is free and able to come live with us and my ex is all for it too. But if we apply before her 18th birthday will this be an issue or if we swing it so her interview is after her 18th birthday will it no longer be an issue? Or does her age go by the application date rather than the interview date? Will a letter stamped by a public notary in the UK or by the US Consulate in Belfast suffice in the absence of legal papers?

3. We would like her to be here in July. If she does arrive then, will we be able to bring her home to Ireland with us for Christmas or will her Green card not have arrived by then?

Many many thanks.

Ronan

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everyone and Happy New Year.

So a few quick questions for those of you in the know.

My daughter is 17 - she'll be 18 in late June. We'll be bringing her to the USA this summer for her Green Card an hopefully she'll stay for a long time. A few question to ask you all.

1. Will she have to go to London for both a medical AND an interview?

2. This is where it gets tricky. Obviously her mother and I are no longer together. We have no court papers dealing with custody as they no longer have "custody" in the UK. In any event, what passes for custody runs out at 16 in the UK so my daughter is free and able to come live with us and my ex is all for it too. But if we apply before her 18th birthday will this be an issue or if we swing it so her interview is after her 18th birthday will it no longer be an issue? Or does her age go by the application date rather than the interview date? Will a letter stamped by a public notary in the UK or by the US Consulate in Belfast suffice in the absence of legal papers?

3. We would like her to be here in July. If she does arrive then, will we be able to bring her home to Ireland with us for Christmas or will her Green card not have arrived by then?

Many many thanks.

Ronan

1) interview wil be at the foreign consulate that has jurisdiction over her residence... if that is London then that is where the interview occurs

2) It is not about when you petition but when the visa is to be issued. If she is beyond the "consent" requirement at that time then no consent needed

3) What visa are you trying to get for her? If it is an immigrant visa (I-130 petition) then she will have no issues travelling as she would enter as a resident... this is different than those who entered on a "K".... so the type of entry she makes will determine the actual answer to your question

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Thanks payxibka,

Ok, I know she will have to go to London for an interview but will she also have to do a medical? Sorry for my confusing language.

We are getting her a immigrant visa. Do you know if she will be able to leave the country again by December though (assuming she enters in July) for a quick holiday? I assume she'd have to have her GC in hand in order to get back into the USA in January 2011 or is there some kind of Advance Parole to Travel available for Residents?

One more thing, do we need to do a G-325A and Affidavits of Support for her?

R.

Edited by Eli the Barrowboy

i-710 Process

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thanks payxibka,

Ok, I know she will have to go to London for an interview but will she also have to do a medical? Sorry for my confusing language.

We are getting her a immigrant visa. Do you know if she will be able to leave the country again by December though (assuming she enters in July) for a quick holiday? I assume she'd have to have her GC in hand in order to get back into the USA in January 2011 or is there some kind of Advance Parole to Travel available for Residents?

One more thing, do we need to do a G-325A and Affidavits of Support for her?

R.

medical needs to be done at one of the consulate authorized clinics... not sure where they are all located other than in London but they might have a couple of options

if it is an immigrant visa then she arrives as a resident... they "stamp" her passport as such. The "stamp" acts as a temporary greencard until the physical card arrives.... so yes, she can travel...

for the I-130 petition a g-325a is needed from her (the benneficiary) and one from the USC petitioner...

An affidavit of support (I-864) will be required at time of visa application (at NVC) which comes after the petition has been approved by the USCIS

YMMV

Thanks for that ...

You see, nowhere on the i-130 instructions does it mention you need to submit a G-325A for anything other than husband/wife applications.

That's what makes it so confusing.

Not sure I will have made enough last year to be a sponsor - best look into that too.

R

i-710 Process

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.