LofeandLive

Passport - Renew

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi All,

I have a doubt and hopefully someone will be able to help me out....I came here through a K-1 Visa, married, changed my last name (Social Security, bank, bills...) but my Brazilian passport still has my maiden last name. It will expire on May/2010. Everything here in the US has my married name and everything in Brazil has my maiden name.

Can I "update" my Brazilian passport using my maiden name? I know I can change my last name but if I do that I would have to change all my documents in Brazil and I am afraid that it may cause huge headaches when I had to close my bank accounts and retirement plan.

Thanks,

:)

I-129F

USCIS: California Service Center

Sent Envelop: 05/24

Arrived at USCIS: 05/27

NOA1: 05/28

Letter of NOA1: 06/02

NOA2: 08/22

Letter of NOA2: 08/29

NVC Letter: 09/02

Packet 3 Received:

Packet 3 Sent:

Interview: 11/25 (Approved!!!)

Hi All,

I have a doubt and hopefully someone will be able to help me out....I came here through a K-1 Visa, married, changed my last name (Social Security, bank, bills...) but my Brazilian passport still has my maiden last name. It will expire on May/2010. Everything here in the US has my married name and everything in Brazil has my maiden name.

Can I "update" my Brazilian passport using my maiden name? I know I can change my last name but if I do that I would have to change all my documents in Brazil and I am afraid that it may cause huge headaches when I had to close my bank accounts and retirement plan.

Thanks,

:)

Is best for you to obtain your new passport with your correct name [New Name in the US]. Since your concern in Brazil is your accounts.. I am sure you still have documents there with your maiden name that you could use to close your account. You can also keep copies of your current passport showing any business or banks the name change. But not changing your name could generate problems for you entering the USA having different names in your GC/Passport.. just a thought...

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Hey Lofeandlive, I'm sure you can change your passport from here if you wish. You probably want to do a google search on it, also for your department of state/brazillian embassies in the US. Most countries seem to offer passport renewals for people living overseas. Just allow lots of time before travel and you'll be fine.

Good Luck :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

You should be able to renew your passport with your maiden name unless the Brazilian government has a policy stating the citizens have to have a same name registered in all countries.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.