Anh map

Linh's First Trip Home

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

OK, so here's the question that Linh want's to have answered today rather than wait to call the embassy on Monday: Does she need to get a visa of some sort to enter Vietnam with her VN passport?

She's reading the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site and feels that she needs to get the Certificate of Visa Exemption (the same thing that I would apply for a spouse) in order to enter.

Any LPR's recently entering VN with their VN passport want to share their experience?

Thanks

Roger & Linh

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Great question Roger.. I assumed that since she held a valid VN Passpot she is still considered a VN citizen and does not require a Visa.. I am interested to learn if that is not the case... Thuy is planning to go back as soon as she gets AP so this will help us in the future also..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline
Great question Roger.. I assumed that since she held a valid VN Passpot she is still considered a VN citizen and does not require a Visa.. I am interested to learn if that is not the case... Thuy is planning to go back as soon as she gets AP so this will help us in the future also..

She just wants to see someone validate their experience.

I'm with you that she shouldn't need it. But, we could both be mistaken.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
She just wants to see someone validate their experience.

I'm with you that she shouldn't need it. But, we could both be mistaken.

Wouldn't be the first time VN policy went against logic... did you get the long term visa for yourself everyone has been taliking about?

Oh yeah.. stay warm... She's not runnin from the snow is she?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

My wife got her CR-1 Visa on June of 2009. We stayed in the US for a good 3 months. I had to go back to Vietnam for work in October of 2009 and she had chosen to go back with me to visit her family again. When she arrive to Vietnam she used her Vietnamese passport to Enter Vietnam since she still is a Vietnamese National. She didn't have to get any type of Visa or anything to enter with her Vietnamese passport. It was a smooth and painless process for her to go back into Vietnam.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
OK, so here's the question that Linh want's to have answered today rather than wait to call the embassy on Monday: Does she need to get a visa of some sort to enter Vietnam with her VN passport?

She's reading the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site and feels that she needs to get the Certificate of Visa Exemption (the same thing that I would apply for a spouse) in order to enter.

Any LPR's recently entering VN with their VN passport want to share their experience?

Thanks

Roger & Linh

As long as her passport is still valid, she doesn't require a visa to enter viet nam, and when she comes back to usa, she can use her green card and a passport or green card with a usa re-entry permit if she desires not to use her vietnamese passport.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

No visa needed. Thuy has gone back twice and both times entered with only her VN passport.

Hope all is well with you and Linh, and that you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Timeline

OK, now that she's read the actual experience she believes it. :bonk:

The snow outside covering her car is making her even more ready to go. :lol:

Timeline
OK, now that she's read the actual experience she believes it. :bonk:

The snow outside covering her car is making her even more ready to go. :lol:

I had a feelin the snaw may have played a small part... Thuy wants to see snow but I know she wont want to live in it...

Filed: Timeline

If you have a VN passport, you don't need VNese Visa. However, you have to make sure your trip won't be longer than 1 year. If so, you'll need to apply for a Re-entry Permit when you're STILL IN THE USA. Furthermore, keep in mind, any period longer than 6 months separated from the 50 states will have an impact on your Citizenship eligibity.

If you have a US passport, you WILL need either a VNese Visa or a 5-year Visa waiver, only if you're married to a VNese citizen or was a VNese citizen in the past. If you're a VNese descendant, Visa-waiver is not recommended, because you have officially declared to the VN gov't that you agree to be a VN citizen and therefore might have forfeited some of the protection you're entitled to as a US citizen (translating, the VN gov't can arrest you and the US consulate won't be able to offer help to you). Under current VN law, you're STILL a VNese citizen even after you've become another country's citizen and denounced your former country's citizenship.

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We are in Vietnam right now for the month. All she need is her Passport, Greencard, And other ID just incase. Drivers licens, State ID.

While we are here met up with Ralph and Mrsiagon.

K1/K2 Time Line:

2-22-06 I-129F sent to Nebraska Service Center

3-03-06 NOA1 Received In Mail

5-27-06 NOA2 Received In Mail

6-08-06 NVC Received

6-12-06 NVC Sent File To HCMC

8-01-06 Van Received Packet 3

8-02-06 Van turned Back Packet 3 at Consulate.

9-29-06 Van Received Packet 4 in the Mail.

10-23-06 Interview - Passed

12-01-06 POE - San Fransisco, 10 Min Thur Immigration for Van and Thu

AOS Time Line:

2-06-07 K-1-K2 AOS Mailed I-131,I-765 And I-485

2-20-07 NOA K-1-K2 AOS I-131,I-765 And I-485

2-26-07 Received Biometrics appointment notice's

3-06-07 Biometrics appointment's scheduled and completed

3-30-07 Received AOS Letters For Interviews

5-22-07 AOS Interviews-Passed

6-01-07 Van Receives 2 Year Green Card K1

7-07-07 Thu Receives 2 Year Green Card K2

Removing Conditions Time line:

3-30-09 I-751 Sent to Calif Service Center

4-07-09 Check Cleared

4-10-09 NOA in Mail-Reciept Date 4-01-09

4-17-09 Biometrics appointment Notice For Van And Thu

5-01-09 Biometrics completed

6-09-09 Approved - Green Cards in Production.

7-17-09 Received 10 year Green Cards For Van & thu

N400 US Citizenship

12-13-10 Sent package

12-20-10 NOA - Reciept

12-22-10 Check Cleared

12-29-10 Biometrics appointment Notice

1-21-11 Biometrics appointment

4-20-11 Interview - PASSED

5-19-11 Oath

6-20-11 Recived U.S. Passport

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.