scarry

marriage troubles

59 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Marriage is work and five months is not a long time. Even if she has lived away from home before, I am sure the adjustment of a new country, new life, and no local friends is stressful and depressing. Try to be patient with your wife and give her more time. I have friends that told me that the adjustment was very difficult and the first year was exceptionally hard. Think about how you might feel if you were the one that gave everything up and moved to a new country to be with your SO.

Please be patient. You love your wife, so keep trying to make it work. I've always been told that if you work through the tough times that it makes your marriage stronger.

Best of luck to you and your wife!

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think divorce is the solution to your problem unless the love is gone already. I have been here for 2 months now and still adjusting to every single thing around me. I told my husband that I am happy because we're finally living together but I am not happy in this place. Yes America is a great country and has lots of things to offer but honestly if we have the resources to live in the Phils. I would rather live there. If you gonna ask my husband if I get an attitude because of this issue, i bet he will tell you a big YES! LOL I know it is wrong but sometimes I get too depress that I take it on him...but what does he do? He just come grab me and kiss me and that will shut my mouth. One thing about most of the filipina, we are not vocal with our feelings...when we are upset we just become quiet and distant...thats when you know something is wrong. So it is better to ask her what is bothering her and making her feel insecure and maybe from there you guys can make a solution to your problem. It could be money matter too, since she's been working in Taiwan for 6 years and prolly been sending enough money to her family to live a comfortable life and suddenly she is out of work and she has to ask money from you...and could be not as much money as she was sending before. If your wife is not happy to live here haven't you thought about moving to the Phils. with her instead of getting a divorce? I really wish you guys can work this together. :)

ZlYHm6.png

my filipina wife is not happy here in the usa she is critical of everything around her my friends my family dont get me wrong we do love each other and she is a good wife in the sense of her duties at home of cooking cleaning etc. but nothing seems to make her happy more than a week at a time we live in a small town no other filipinas close to us for her to have as a friend but so many woman here have tryed to makes friends with her she is not interested at all makes no attempt to be social at all an is jealouse of everyone that is close to me including my mom and my daughter so i decided to send my wife back to philippines for a visit for us to take a break from this marriage we have been married 5 months i miss her very very much but last nite even tho we are still so far away from each other when we are chatting she gets the bad attitude with me again i cant take it anymore its not worth it im done i guess my question is now that she is in philippines how do we o about getting a divorce .

If you are done with AOS, you have to review the affidavit of support you had signed up.

There are lots of filipinas having a hard time adjusting to the US life. She is not alone. The only concern i have with her attitude (based on your post) is that she is not interested to befriend anyone. It is up to her if she want to be happy here in the US. Whatever she is going thru, she has to snap out of it.

Have a final talk with her. If she wants out, divorce her. Get an attorney, file the divorce and send her the papers for her signature. Use fedex or UPS to make the process faster.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Maybe she had different expectations about America. You know everyone overseas thinks America is so easy, when in essence I believe in some ways Philippines might be easier to live in etc etc. WHen my hubby came here from Phils he assumed he would get a job instantly making $60,000 a year, get a loan for like $200,000 instantly and buy a new car. LOL. Maybe your wife thinks she was gonna be a princess when she got here! 5 months you are both adjusting to marriage and shes adjusting to new culture. It took hubby about 2 years to ajust to culture here.........I hope you still love eachother maybe you can work it out just be patient!

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

It takes about a year for someone to adjust to their surroundings...she's no where near that time. IMO, sending her back home only complicated things. It would have been a lot less expensive to seek couples counseling. From what you've said, it sounds like you are the one thinking divorce and not her. If that's the case, then I'd get her back over as soon as possible and get counseling. Maybe it's a cultural thing for us Americans, but we tend to look for an exit out of marriage when things don't turn out the way we planned. Either, you never took the time to really get to know your wife's moods, or you've decided that you can no longer deal with them. In any case, you considering divorce as the best solution after only 5 months is a cop out.

As for her personality - do you know if she's had trouble with her other relationships back home - with family members and friends? A Filipina with a bad temper is often referred to as maldita. It might help you to understand her mood swings by finding out if she has always been this way. There are many ways you can help save your marriage if you just stop looking for an exit.

Edited by Galt's gallstones

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
A job can make all the difference in the world. When she comes back, tell her to get one. It will keep her busy, get her some friends, and allow her to make some extra money to send to her family. Not having a job and just staying at home can drive anyone mental. When I arrived here, my husband and I lived in a small town too. I had no friends too, no job (I only got my EAD five months after my wedding), no high-speed internet to get in touch with my family, no money except for the $5k savings I brought fr the Philippines (which wasn't much). No drivers license. Nothing to see except trees and trees and more trees. I was bored and depressed (at that time I denied that I was). I had thrown tantrums that my husband claimed he's never seen before. I had threatened to leave probably more than a couple of times. I was extremely critical of the surroundings (boring and quiet), the "country", the people, the cows, the grass, the culture, etc. I hated the get togethers and I was extremely suspicious of the people around me (e.g."They don't like me and are just pretending to like me"). Money was tight too. We were living paycheck to paycheck.

Anyway. We've been married almost four yrs and we're happy. The first year was tough but I found a job as soon as I could. We moved to the city. Every time I got a raise, we'd move to a better place. Now we own a house and we don't have any other debt. My husband had bad credit so I had to work on mine alone to the point now where I'm improving his credit too! I still don't have filipino friends here which tbh is ok. I have friends at work and my closest friends are still back home. I keep in touch with them daily. Here I hang out with my in laws and my husband 100 per cent of the time.

I think the biggest help was me getting a job. When my husband and I fought, prayers helped. When things were tough, the commitment really helped---through thick and thin ;)

And of course, there's love. Love kept me here. And love kept my husband fr throwing me out when I threw the worst tantrums ever :)!

Her sending money home will continue to be an issue until she gets a job (that's my guess). We don't have that problem since I don't send money home unless there's an occasion. And we always try to make it fair (e.g. If we give his mom a 100 dollar gift on her bday, we'd give the same amt to my mom).

Good luck. I hope you and your wife make it. The first year is always tough. You're not alone.

thank u for your story it sounds exaclty like my wifes and my situation how can such a little person make so much noise is wat id like to know lol

I agree with JelloShotGirl. Your wife isn't that young and as you said, she has worked in Taiwan for six years without visiting the Philippines. No offense intended but maybe she was expecting to live like a princess when she got here in the U.S. but as your finances dwindled and you didn't provide what she vocally asked and silently wanted, things have gone this way. Instead of understanding you and helping in working out the debts, relationship, and standard of living, she just gave up. I don't encourage divorce but stop making excuses for her... like she is acting that way due to new environment or the unavailability of jobs. Making a big deal about coping with one's new environment is already a sign of "personal problems." She has chosen to sulk instead of admiring and finding the beauty around her and of being with you.

Do you know her interests? If she likes dancing, enrol her to a local dance class or introduce the YMCA. Does she like cooking, fine arts, or anything like that? Get a way to keep her busy with her hobbies. Go to your local library if she likes books. She can do these while looking for a job. Does she want her master's degree or anything like that?

Anyway, I hope you both talk about it before merely ending your marriage.

Hakuna matata.

God bless us all.

FAE :luv:

17276-hobbes55_large.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

A job really helps like what van2006 said. For me, it's hard especially the first year of marriage, asking money to your husband. I'm so use of earning my own money and even while still in the PI and we were dating I feel secure if I pay my share too. It makes me crazy when I got here we're just living in a one bedroom apartment (really a bachelor pad; don't even have any kitchen stuff and utensils imagine cutting a really big chunk of meat with a very dull butterknife), I can't go out because I still haven't got a license here and didn't know I could use my PI license until I got my DL here, don't have friends (though I got a sister who is in a different state that call me up sometimes, which helps a bit), our internet is dial up (as oppose to when I was in PI we got a broadband internet at home). I remember I clean the apartment twice or thrice already in a day, prepare the food to distract me out of my melancholy and still feel so bad because I can't seems to get out of my loneliness. So everytime my husband came home, I'm dress to go out. Even when he's tired from work I force him out 'coz I'm about to climb the walls!!! I feel like picking a fight with him. I don't enjoy shopping much (that time at least he-he ;D Now I do!) because I always convert the price to pesos and it's too expensive to buy. But when he introduce me to the PUBLIC LIBRARY, I fell in love!!! Hehehe (L) I love to read books, just like my husband and I could have live there. I just about horde every books of my favorite authors I could find. Bad thing was you can only check out 15 books. I was done reading that after a week and a half. This is what kept me sane plus I got a job. Sure, it takes time for you to get one like 6 months to a year but that's how it is usually (more so now even). So, if your wife has some hobby like reading books, sewing etc. that might help her. Chatting with the family back in PI helps too! I hope both of you can work this thing out, divorce after 5 months of marriage is just not the solution. Good luck!

Edited by J.W.

USCIS: IR-5

03/22/2010 - Sent I-130 for Both Parents via Express Mail

03/23/2010 - I-130 RCVD by USCIS

03/31/2010 - NOA 1 Receipt Date

04/14/2010 - NOA 1 RCVD

09/22/2010 - Approved

09/28/2010 - RCVD NOA 2

NVC:

10/06/2010 - NVC RCVD our Case from USCIS

10/12/2010 - All Day trying to Call NVC; line is sooo BUSY.

10/13/2010 - @ 1:28 AM CT I RCVD an email from NVC for my Mom's Case# & to pay AOS fee bill of $88. Haven't RCVD any yet for my Dad's petition.

10/13/2010 - @ 3:49 AM CT I RCVD an email from NVC for my Mom's DS-3032

10/13/2010 - @ 5:08 AM CT Emailed NVC to registered our respective Email Add'es.

10/13/2010 - @ 2:47 PM CT Finally got thru to NVC & registered our Email Add'es & Got my Dad's NVC Case#. Yey!

10/14/2010 - Paid AOS fee of $88.00 for Both Parents

10/14/2010 - Emailed DS 3032

10/15/2010 - @ 10:30 PM RCVD an email from NVC for my Dad's ACL Universal

10/16/2010 - @ 12:53 PM RCVD Signed DOCS package from my Parents

10/19/2010 - @ 12:33 AM AOS shown as PAID & Printed the AOS Cover Sheet

10/20/2010 - Sent DS 3032 Hard Copy

10/25/2010 - DS 3032 Delivered

10/28/2010 - Sent I-864 (AOS) on the Mail

10/28/2010 - @ 4:49 AM DS 3032 Accepted

11/01/2010 - IV Fee Bill Generated

11/02/2010 - AOS Delivered

11/15/2010 - My Parents RCVD their NEW Passports, PAID IV Fee Bill of $404 for each Parent

11/16/2010 - IV Fee Bill shown as PAID & Printed the coversheet

12/02/2010 - DS 230 Mailed

12/30/2010 - NVC emailed me Case Complete

01/18 & 19/2011 - Medical DONE

02/03/2011 - Interview @8:30 AM APPROVED!!!

02/09/2011 - Visa on Hand

03/11/2011 - Fly out, POE: San Fo

Filed: Timeline

*my filipina wife is not happy here in the usa she is critical of everything around her my friends my family dont get me wrong we do love each other and she is a good wife in the sense of her duties at home of cooking cleaning etc. but nothing seems to make her happy more than a week at a time we live in a small town no other filipinas close to us for her to have as a friend but so many woman here have tryed to makes friends with her she is not interested at all makes no attempt to be social at all an is jealouse of everyone that is close to me including my mom and my daughter so i decided to send my wife back to philippines for a visit for us to take a break from this marriage we have been married 5 months i miss her very very much but last nite even tho we are still so far away from each other when we are chatting she gets the bad attitude with me again i cant take it anymore its not worth it im done i guess my question is now that she is in philippines how do we o about getting a divorce .*

Hi everybody i just want to clarify things that he had posted. Im his wife... He really doesnt understand my feelings and situation.. On the frist place he knows that my sister is sick and she is treated here in manila for 18 mos.. Everything in manila is expensive.. I ask him heartily if he can help my mom financially coz it is needed..he said of course.But since theres a global crisis and he has no overtime he stop sending money and i understand.. If i got a job in there i wont ask him to support my family.. I am not expecting that i will become a princess when i got there in usa.. I am a hardworker person..And its not my attitude to depend on someone if i know i can make it on my own. But because his place is a small town,, car is needed and he cant afford to buy a car for me coz he still paying for his car loan, so i cant find ways to find a job.. I dont demand him for financial.. He knows i just stayed at home taking care of him and her 18 yrs old daughter like cleaning her room, wash her clothes, fix her bed etc etc.. His daughter decided to live with us when i get there.. He said im not socializing with his friends and family? WHY he say that? Him and his friends, nieces, nephews used to hang out in a bar drinking , etc.. Do u think this is the right place for the married couple to hang out? He just think of his hapiness and ignore what makes me happy. I mean he married me he should focus his attention with me coz im all alone there and the place is boring.. He cant even invite me goin to watch a movie till i say so.. Do u think u will be happy stayin at home 24 hrs? I never ask him money to buy something for myself coz i understand him..i just wait till he ask what i need for my personal. I decided to get back home because of his mom and the text ive read in his fon.. His mom is bitchin me in fon telling that i am stupid bla bla bla.. So i call him at work telling that his mom is bitchin on me.. I cried like a baby coz i know i didnt do wrong.. I told him i deserve to be bitchin if they caught me cheating.. ive read his send messages to his daughter tellin his daughter that i miss ur mom, just thinking of her.. who among of the wives wont get jealous of this messages??

Anyways, its his decision to file a divorce.. Its his loss ..

Timeline
*my filipina wife is not happy here in the usa she is critical of everything around her my friends my family dont get me wrong we do love each other and she is a good wife in the sense of her duties at home of cooking cleaning etc. but nothing seems to make her happy more than a week at a time we live in a small town no other filipinas close to us for her to have as a friend but so many woman here have tryed to makes friends with her she is not interested at all makes no attempt to be social at all an is jealouse of everyone that is close to me including my mom and my daughter so i decided to send my wife back to philippines for a visit for us to take a break from this marriage we have been married 5 months i miss her very very much but last nite even tho we are still so far away from each other when we are chatting she gets the bad attitude with me again i cant take it anymore its not worth it im done i guess my question is now that she is in philippines how do we o about getting a divorce .*

Hi everybody i just want to clarify things that he had posted. Im his wife... He really doesnt understand my feelings and situation.. On the frist place he knows that my sister is sick and she is treated here in manila for 18 mos.. Everything in manila is expensive.. I ask him heartily if he can help my mom financially coz it is needed..he said of course.But since theres a global crisis and he has no overtime he stop sending money and i understand.. If i got a job in there i wont ask him to support my family.. I am not expecting that i will become a princess when i got there in usa.. I am a hardworker person..And its not my attitude to depend on someone if i know i can make it on my own. But because his place is a small town,, car is needed and he cant afford to buy a car for me coz he still paying for his car loan, so i cant find ways to find a job.. I dont demand him for financial.. He knows i just stayed at home taking care of him and her 18 yrs old daughter like cleaning her room, wash her clothes, fix her bed etc etc.. His daughter decided to live with us when i get there.. He said im not socializing with his friends and family? WHY he say that? Him and his friends, nieces, nephews used to hang out in a bar drinking , etc.. Do u think this is the right place for the married couple to hang out? He just think of his hapiness and ignore what makes me happy. I mean he married me he should focus his attention with me coz im all alone there and the place is boring.. He cant even invite me goin to watch a movie till i say so.. Do u think u will be happy stayin at home 24 hrs? I never ask him money to buy something for myself coz i understand him..i just wait till he ask what i need for my personal. I decided to get back home because of his mom and the text ive read in his fon.. His mom is bitchin me in fon telling that i am stupid bla bla bla.. So i call him at work telling that his mom is bitchin on me.. I cried like a baby coz i know i didnt do wrong.. I told him i deserve to be bitchin if they caught me cheating.. ive read his send messages to his daughter tellin his daughter that i miss ur mom, just thinking of her.. who among of the wives wont get jealous of this messages??

Anyways, its his decision to file a divorce.. Its his loss ..

Well, that explains it!

04/14/2010 - NOA 1 RCVD

09/22/2010 - Approved

09/28/2010 - RCVD NOA 2

NVC:

10/13/2010 - @ 1:28 AM CT I RCVD an email from NVC for my Mom's Case# & to pay AOS fee bill of $88. Haven't RCVD any yet for my Dad's petition.

10/13/2010 - @ 5:08 AM CT Emailed NVC to registered our respective Email Add'es.

10/13/2010 - @ 2:47 PM CT Finally got thru to NVC & registered our Email Add'es & Got my Dad's NVC Case#. Yey!

11/15/2010 - My Parents RCVD their NEW Passports, PAID IV Fee Bill of $404 for each Parent

Timeline

I think the combination of worry of sis and pressure of his daughter, in law and what the hubby text really did it! Seems like he's not over his ex.

04/14/2010 - NOA 1 RCVD

09/22/2010 - Approved

09/28/2010 - RCVD NOA 2

NVC:

now that she explains her side, you (scarry) should understand her better and you should know now what to do...

06-19-2008 : Filed I-130

06-24-2008 : NOA 1

04-00-2009 : Wife became USC

09-30-2009 : NOA 2

10-19-2009 : Paid AoS bill

10-29-2009 : DS-3032 submitted

10-30-2009 : I-864 submitted

11-14-2009 : IV bill received

11-19-2009 : IV bill paid

11-25-2009 : DS-230 sent (from SA)

12-03-2009 : DS-230 received by NVC

12-13-2009 : Log in failed. Yes!

12-14-2009 :Case complete. Oh yes!

12-15-2009 : Appointment letter received.

01-10-2010 : Medical exam

01-30-2010 : Interview date at US Embassy - Riyadh! Approved!

02-02-2010 : Visa on hand! :)

12-19-2011 : I-751 Receipt Notice

02-08-2012 : Biometrics appointment

give yourselves a chance to know each other more....5 months is quite short time to make a drastic decision like that more so if you said you love each other.

good luck to you and keep us posted.

sorry on my typo awhile ago...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.