Machita

Change of laws while divorcing on a conditional green card

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am currently being divorced and I heard on this forum that the laws are going to be changed in march for those who file waivers based on good faith marriage. If laws are to be changed, what would happen to someone who is currently being divorced? does he have a chance?

people with waivers, please post your experience here. It would help to give me peace of mind.

I am really worried. I know we married in good faith and I have proof of that but I always get those worrying feelings- what if.

Thank you very much.

* Got married in August 2008

* initial interview in March 2009

* Green card received in May 2009

* Divorce January 2010

* I-751 filed April 27 of 2010

* Biometrics was supposed to be July 1st but I did a walk-in June 16 2010

* I don't know what's next

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

What is the source of your information? Can you add a link to it?

I am currently being divorced and I heard on this forum that the laws are going to be changed in march for those who file waivers based on good faith marriage. If laws are to be changed, what would happen to someone who is currently being divorced? does he have a chance?

people with waivers, please post your experience here. It would help to give me peace of mind.

I am really worried. I know we married in good faith and I have proof of that but I always get those worrying feelings- what if.

Thank you very much.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

What is the source of your information? Can you add a link to it?

Thank you very much.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=3462947

* Divorce January 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If you read the thread you referenced, then you know that this info is a hearsay.

Even if such a law came to be, nobody can answer your question until this law is finalized and announced to general public.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

If you read the thread you referenced, then you know that this info is a hearsay.

Even if such a law came to be, nobody can answer your question until this law is finalized and announced to general public.

Yes, your right Rika. I posted to condemn that thread in questioned. People like to post wrong information to strengthen their own selfish bigoted interests. If anything will change it will be pro-immigrant.

This file had some interesting things to say about divorce/751.

I-751 Processing and Adjudication

a. I-751 Petitions for Conditional Residents in Divorce Proceedings

AILA has discussed with USCIS HQ in a number of prior meetings the hardship caused to applicants who are separated but not yet divorced during the I-751 petition process. AILA has advocated for an administrative remedy that would permit an individual whose divorce is finalized during the pendency of the I-751 petition to file a new or amended I-751 petition with the appropriate Service Center, without having to withdraw the original petition. In addition, AILA has recommended that USCIS allow such individuals to present a new or amended I-751 petition at interview at USCIS Field Offices. USCIS has previously indicated it would review our recommendations on this issue and issue updated guidance.9 AILA respectfully requests an update on whether any progress has been made on this issue and whether updated guidance may be forthcoming in the near future.

Response: USCIS guidance on this subject is currently in the concurrence process with the expectation that it will be issued by or before summer 2009

I never followed up on this - being that I was with my new wife :)

As you can see, they are talking about making it easier for someone divorcing to file for removal of conditions, not making it harder.

You may want to browse through USCIS - they should of posted my guidance on this.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

thanks for the post, Bobby. VERY interesting.

This file had some interesting things to say about divorce/751.

I-751 Processing and Adjudication

a. I-751 Petitions for Conditional Residents in Divorce Proceedings

AILA has discussed with USCIS HQ in a number of prior meetings the hardship caused to applicants who are separated but not yet divorced during the I-751 petition process. AILA has advocated for an administrative remedy that would permit an individual whose divorce is finalized during the pendency of the I-751 petition to file a new or amended I-751 petition with the appropriate Service Center, without having to withdraw the original petition. In addition, AILA has recommended that USCIS allow such individuals to present a new or amended I-751 petition at interview at USCIS Field Offices. USCIS has previously indicated it would review our recommendations on this issue and issue updated guidance.9 AILA respectfully requests an update on whether any progress has been made on this issue and whether updated guidance may be forthcoming in the near future.

Response: USCIS guidance on this subject is currently in the concurrence process with the expectation that it will be issued by or before summer 2009

I never followed up on this - being that I was with my new wife :)

As you can see, they are talking about making it easier for someone divorcing to file for removal of conditions, not making it harder.

You may want to browse through USCIS - they should of posted my guidance on this.

Mar. 2011: I-751 waiver petition sent (divorce decree missing); decree rcvd' & sent: Apr. 2011

Oct. 2011: permanent GC approved (no interview); rcvd': Dec. 2011

Dec. 2013 - Citizenship application N-400 (90 days to 5 yr. LPR)

Sorry, I deleted my personal data / timeline info because of a crazy person/stalker in the site - you never know what a disturbed person can do...

if you need any info, feel free to ask me =)

THANK you for your replies.

* Divorce January 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.