derekkj

Flames9!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Scott,

Just wanted to find out how much longer you will be our neighbor - can we have your apartment, lol?

Hope all is going well with closing and moving. Fill us in when you get a chance!

-kj

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

LOL, fill you in, I could just open my balcony door and yell down to you!! So funny we live in the same aprtment building, yet have never met!! Yes, you could say I'm a bit unsociable, lol!! Please take no offense,the past while has been hectic with school, condo etc. Probably not a great excuse, but I'm running with it!!

So today was walk through and settlement!! Meg was unable to come to walk through because of work. I noticed the seller took the spiffy shower heads!! Awhile back I asked (as wel as meg)my realtor if they stayed, or should be written into the contract (yes i liked them that much, lol) he said the stayed!, So guess what was missing at the walk through?? Yeppers the shower heads, replaced with some cheapies!! I asked my realtor and he said that was the norm!! WHAT, he told me they would stay!! I shouldn't be suprised as he has not been much of a help. So when we got to settlement later on in the day, I mentioned that to Meg, and she is not happy. Not with the seller, but with our realtors (husband/wife team) They write in the contract that shower heads were missing. I felt they(realtors) should pay not the sellers, it was their mistake since we mentioned it!! Longer story short, seller didnt realize they were to stay, so he gave us a bit of $$. I didnt even want the $$, As I felt our realtors were in the wrong. But other than that, all went well. After settlement, we went to the condo and started to clean!! i wil lbe back there bright and early, clean some more, carpet cleaners come around 1100, take a break and study BIO, then come back and clean some more. Its not dirty, just wiping down the walls in prep to paint!! Ordered a new front loading washer/dryer and a new couch. So all is well. We do the big move out this Sunday morning, fun fun!! Will miss the Barton house, best apartments I have ever stayed yet. Everyone is so friendly and its close to everything. Our condo is in Falls Church, near Lee highway and 495 I guess, think Merryfield(????) is close by?? I know its a shorter drive to play hockey in reston, lol

Thanks for asking and yes one of these days we wil have to get together, not as if our new place is that far, only about a 15 minute drive!! Cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

No excuses necessary! Derek has been here since April and I don't think we have had a free moment yet, lol. And neither of us are in school the way you are! Today I actually played hookey from work so that I could relax in the apartment all by myself. How sad is that?!

Yeah, I read a bit about your realtor experience. Am guessing you wouldn't recommend them like you did Mr. Shaft! Fortunately we have a friend who is a realtor and are hoping the day is coming when we can utilize her expertise, but realistically will be staying in BH at least another year. As you say, it's a good place - we love it here too! Except for our shower head, ironically enough, lol. If your shower head is as crappy as ours, I don't wonder that you wanted the spiffy ones. Nice of the seller to offer up some $$$, but you are right - your realtor should have made it clear that you wanted the shower heads to stay and then paid you when they didn't.

We are sad to lose the nearest neighbors we never met, but good luck with the move- 'fraid I am working Sunday (really!) so can't help you. But if you ever get homesick for BH, just give us a shout!

-kj

TIMELINE

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

Move went well on Sunday!! Had like 12 people assisting us, should have gotten a bigger moving truck(15 ft) Luckily a few people had trucks!! Condo is a mess, kitchen is slowly coming together. Bella (cat) is in heaven, all the boxes and paper, and our 1 side of the condo is all window so she can follow the birds!!

Cleaned out Barton House yesterday, love the smell of bleach!! On the walk out they asked if we had a cat, which we did, they asked if I knew that I was to put down a 125 nonrefundable pet fee, which I did not, oops!! They were good about it and didnt charge us for it, since we only had Bella for a short time. Wil miss the apartment, such a nice location and people. parking sucked with 2 cars, we dont have assigned places at the condo, but parking isnt a problem. Guess I should get back to unpacking and then Bio for a bit. Is derek going to Ref this yr, or play hockey? Played last night and we won. Hard to get in the hockey mood when its 100F outside!! Cheers, Scott

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Yeah, when I moved into BH, I waaaay underestimated the size of the truck I would need. And like you, was fortunate to have friends with trucks help out, lol. Fortunately when Derek moved down he got the right sized truck because I don't think anyone was going to follow him for 12 hours!

So far we have never had to park one of our cars on the street, but I hear you about parking. Sometimes we sit on our balcony and watch the fur fly when people get blocked in by the pizza guy or some such. Good to hear that they didn't ding you for Bella. They knew about Jenny before we moved in but said that since she is already 20, if and when she goes on to the great litter box in the sky, they won't charge another pet fee, lol. Nice people.

I am not sure about what Derek plans to do about hockey. Right now he has got a bad back and the last thing on his mind is putting on skates. But I am hoping he gets back into it eventually since I know he misses it. Maybe by the time that it gets to the proper temperature, he will be back in action!

Good luck settling in! By the way, it's perfect beer weather!

-kj

TIMELINE

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

Gulping on a Budweiser as I type!! Ripped out the storage stuff in the laundry room, patched up the walls, just painted the ceiling, now wil paint the rest, its a small room so shouldnt take long. Gave away the old washer/dryer on craigslist, new stuff arriving tomorrow. The off to california friday!!

Had to park on the street now and then, but never overnight. BH was good to us, great people. Our friend is moving in a few weeks into a studio there in a few weeks, so we shall return. BH does have a waiting list, but I think if yoiur a tenant and a friend/family wants to rent there, they bump them to the top of the list! Beer is complete, back to painting. Hope derek back get sbetter soon, I won't pulla Seab Avery (of the LA kings) and make a French comment, lol even in fun!! Take care

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.