amysaid

EAD for MENA people, also DHS clearance for ID card

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just wondering what all of your experience has been as far as getting EAD. We filed for Ahmed's EAD as soon as we were able to, and USCIS recieved it September 30th. He got his biometrics done in Portland, OR on November 5th. There haven't been any touches on his case on the USCIS website. He's outside of the typical EAD timeline on VJ, but still within the estimated 3 month goal that USCIS has posted. Not having the ability to work is really having a bad impact on my husband, so I'm just wondering what time period you all went through for this. We filed for EAD without filing for AOS at the same time, not sure if that would have an impact on it or not.

We also tried to get my husband a state ID card when he got here, through the Dept. of motor vehicles. They told us that they had to verify his immigrant status through the Department of Homeland Security, took copies of his passport, I-94, etc. It's been about 3 months now, and when I call them to check on the status, they say that they haven't heard back from DHS yet. They did tell me that his name was being run through the ICE database (Immigration & Customs Enforcement), but when I called and talked to ICE they had no idea what database I was talking about. When I called DHS, they likewise had no idea. So I have no idea who to call or how to follow-up on it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? My husband is concerned that there was some mishap with his entry to the US (the officer who processed his visa didn't seem to be familiar with K3 visas and it took a loooong time) that is somehow delaying things.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, experiences, etc. :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

We also filed for a stand alone EAD but Y didnt have to do biometrics. I always assumed that biometrics were only necessary when filed with the AOS as thats been the experience of everyone I know who has filed stand alone EAD's this year. Anyway, we had quite a difficult time getting ours to the right service center since the instructions are incorrect for our state only (figures) so that put us back a few weeks but they ended up using the receipt date on the first one after I wrote the ombudsman....long story short, we got ours right at the 3 month mark after filing. Maybe a week or so longer.If you arent outside the USCIS timeline, there isnt much you can do. If he goes outside that, you can requst an expedite and/or make an infopass appointment.

The ID sounds odd, I would def call the office and ask to speak to a supervisor. Kind but firm persistence usually pays off in any venue.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Edited by Y's_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
We also filed for a stand alone EAD but Y didnt have to do biometrics. I always assumed that biometrics were only necessary when filed with the AOS as thats been the experience of everyone I know who has filed stand alone EAD's this year. Anyway, we had quite a difficult time getting ours to the right service center since the instructions are incorrect for our state only (figures) so that put us back a few weeks but they ended up using the receipt date on the first one after I wrote the ombudsman....long story short, we got ours right at the 3 month mark after filing. Maybe a week or so longer.If you arent outside the USCIS timeline, there isnt much you can do. If he goes outside that, you can requst an expedite and/or make an infopass appointment.

The ID sounds odd, I would def call the office and ask to speak to a supervisor. Kind but firm persistence usually pays off in any venue.

That's interesting about the biometrics! They sent us a letter saying he had to go do it, so we did. and yeah, I realize there's nothing we can do about it right now, I was just hoping to get some idea of a timeline. seems like 3 months is common, so we'll just keep holding on for that. :) As for the DMV, I'm not sure what to do about that. I've spoken to the manager there before, and he basically told me there was nothing they could do, that they just had to wait for homeland security to send them the information. I think we may go ahead and resubmit the info.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

That's interesting about the biometrics! They sent us a letter saying he had to go do it, so we did. and yeah, I realize there's nothing we can do about it right now, I was just hoping to get some idea of a timeline. seems like 3 months is common, so we'll just keep holding on for that. :) As for the DMV, I'm not sure what to do about that. I've spoken to the manager there before, and he basically told me there was nothing they could do, that they just had to wait for homeland security to send them the information. I think we may go ahead and resubmit the info.

Ya, I started asking everyone who did a standalone because I wasnt sure and sure enough none of them had one.... interesting

hmmm, Well that is pretty sh!tty about the DMV. I think I would try resubmitting everything again also

Well, I hope the time to the 3 months goes quickly for you guys and good luck to him on finding a job quickly :thumbs:

I forgot to add that getting a ID here was pretty painless, we went to an office that issues these "blue letters"(just something that you bring back to the DMV that shows they can issue everything) and they looked over his passport,visa,1-94 and a piece of mail verifying address and then gave him that letter right there. I know it varies from state to state but sheesh...if they can visually inspect our docs, you'd think its not as difficult as they are making it out to be for you guys.

Edited by Y's_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.