Blitz

Consular Report of Birth Abroad

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone here filed a CRBA (born abroad certificate or whatever it is technically called) for a child born to a USC and Cdn citizen?

My husband (USC) and I have a daughter together and another baby on the way. I read on the consular website what documents are needed, but I'm wondering how long it takes to get the paperwork, if you need an appt in Calgary or if you can just show up during their hours for USCs. We also have to show my husbands "immigraton record" (he lived in Canada for 10 yrs on a work visa) to show his original date of entry into Canada, but not even sure how to get that...I will call around. But just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this, esp at the consulate in Calgary.

Baby #2 is due in January, so if I am lucky to get an interview shortly after that (Feb or even March), and I didn't get a chance to get the new baby's born abroad certificate (but at least applied for it) will that prevent them from granting me my IR1?

Thanks.

Timeline

Hi Blitz,

I do know that for American Citizen services - and this would be one of those - there is no need for an appointment at the Calgary consulate - it's open to the public between 8:30 and noon - also, I don't know if you have been there before, but unlike the Montreal consulate, the line forms inside - there is a coffee shop right by where the line is in fact! Also, the times I have been there there hasn't been much of a wait, a few minutes, American Citizens are taken up to the consulate first.

The baby's certificate or lack of it will have no effect on your IR1 visa at all.

Another option is just getting the kiddies their own passports - you could just apply for their U.S. passports instead of doing the consular report.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Hi there,

My husband and I have gone through the process. We have twins that we registered in Toronto. I'm CDN and my husband is American and they were born in Ontario. Anyways, I forget how we obtained the paperwork...I think online, but it was fairly easy. They do ask for long form birth certicates and few other simple things but the only big thing is proof of domicile for your husband. This proof of domicile is different than immigrant visa. Just phone consolute and ask them, the easist way and the way we did it was to go to Social security office in Niagara Falls USA and had a printout of his years of filing taxes....and that proved his domicile. If you have any questions please feel free to ask....it's simple and fast and they give you your certificates and passports.

Sent I130 to Chicago - March 1, 2008

NOA 1- April, 2008

Transferred to California - April, 2008

NOA 2 - March 13, 2009 (lost for awhile)

NVC case number given - March 30, 2009

NVC case complete - April 25, 2009

Email for interview - July 3, 2009

Interview - August 12, 2009 DENIED!!

PROOF OF DOMICILE:

Package 1: sent August 13, 2009

Package 1: sent back August 23, 2009 -more proof needed

Package 2: sent September 3, 2009

Package 2: sent back Nov. 1, 2009 - more proof needed

Package 3: sent January 14, 2010

Package 3: APPROVED

Received VISA: MARCH 3, 2010!!!!!!

POE: Lewiston Bridge NY, March 4, 2010

SSN: ordered March 4, 2010

SSN: received March 17, 2010

GC Welcome Letter: March 16, 2010

GC Arrived: March 22, 2010

Citizenship Application Start Date: September 2011!!

Timeline

If you look up on the website just follow the instructions and when you think you have everything (there is a checklist provided) then give Toronto a call to ask any questions and to make sure you have everything. The office may vary in location but the application procedure is the same for every Consulate. On our first trip there we had everything except the proof of domicile (my mistake) so they processed our application, we paid the fees and they said once we have the proof of domicile to bring it in or fax it in. So on our second visit we brought our proof in but they said it was the wrong stuff and that's when he told us to go get a printout from SSN for prior taxes. So we left Toronto, drove directly to Niagara Falls, NY, got the printout, faxed it to Toronto office (on Friday) and on Monday they called to say it was approved and will be sent out immediately. We received it within a week (certificates and passports). So hope this helps and if you have any questions about it, ask away.

NOA 1- April, 2008

PROOF OF DOMICILE:

Timeline

Thanks so much Trailmix, and Brocku....btw, I assume you went to Brock? I graduated from there in '98! :)

Brocku - when you say proof of domicile, does that mean proof that the USC lives in the US now, or is it that he spent at least x-number of years in the US, including at least 4 years after his 14th birthday? I'm sure I read something like that on their website? In that case, do you think my husband's high school transcirpts would be enough? I can get both his US high school and college transcripts. And since he is completing his school right now I can include his current transcripts, lease agreement, etc.

And they sent your certificates and passports back - do you mean you had to leave your husband's US passport with them and they send that back? B/c the process for getting the kids a passport takes longer, doesn't it? Sorry, I'm so confused!

Oh, and did you have to provide a copy of his "Cdn immigration record" that showed his original date of entry into Canada? I didn't quite understand that. But I will try calling the consultate in Toronto for sure.

Again, thanks a bunch!!! I'm thinking since it doesn't take very long, maybe I should wait and do our daughter's at the same time as the baby's when he's born....I just thought it took several weeks and might impact them issuing me a IR-1.

Timeline

You're welcome!

The reason they are asking for details of his presence in the U.S. is that your child has 'derivative citizenship'. Since your child and soon to be born child were/will be born after 1986 to one U.S. citizen and one non-U.S. citizen, in a foreign country - the U.S. citizen parent must meet certain criteria - in your case it is:

Citizen parent must have been physically present in the U.S. or its outlying possessions for 5 years, at least 2 of which were after age 14. (1)

That is all you have to prove. I have no idea where the admittance to Canada comes in to it at all, who told you that?

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Hey there, yes I went to Brock...started in 2000..hence brocku 00. Anyways, your husband does not need to leave his passport. And yes the highschool, college transcipts are good. My husbands problem was that he dropped out in grade 9 and after contacting his elementary and grade 9 school, they had no records because it was too long ago. And yes the proof of domicile is that weird thing with either so many years before the age of 14?? and so many after 14??? (sorry don't remember exact age). Anyways, the only thing that we used was the printout of previous tax years and it literally took 10 minutes at SSN office and I think $8.00. I took my husband in with us for our first visit and they copied his b.c. He did not have a passport at that time. They will go over your paperwork, make sure that your spouse is American, make you pay the fees, hand in kids passport picture, check proof of domicile and then they will say approved. They will then send you the certificate and passport in the mail. Ours would have been completed the first visit except we did not realize the proof of domicile thing....oh and don't forget, you actually have to bring in your child!!! If there is no child present, then they will not complete it!! Compared to my immigrant visa process, the registration of birth abroad is soooooo easy! Just collect everything, have your husband and child ready for the consulate and I would suggest calling Toronto Consulate the day before you go and just say, "I'm completing a Birth abroad package and will be coming in tomorrow....just wondering if you could let me know if I have everything that is needed?" They were helpful on the phone. Even though you are not going to Toronto, just call them anyways and pretend you are.

NOA 1- April, 2008

PROOF OF DOMICILE:

Timeline

Forgot to tell you.....if you have all the proper stuff and they approve it that day, you will have passport and certificate within 2-3 weeks (that's what they told us) but it only took about 9 days for us once we were 'approved'. Hope this helps.

NOA 1- April, 2008

PROOF OF DOMICILE:

Timeline
You're welcome!

The reason they are asking for details of his presence in the U.S. is that your child has 'derivative citizenship'. Since your child and soon to be born child were/will be born after 1986 to one U.S. citizen and one non-U.S. citizen, in a foreign country - the U.S. citizen parent must meet certain criteria - in your case it is:

Citizen parent must have been physically present in the U.S. or its outlying possessions for 5 years, at least 2 of which were after age 14. (1)

That is all you have to prove. I have no idea where the admittance to Canada comes in to it at all, who told you that?

Hey Trailmix - here is a link to where I read that about the Cdn immigration record, including original entry into Canada. It's #9 on the checklist.

http://www.consular.canada.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.asp

Did I totally misunderstand that? Brocku - you never had to supply anything like that? Everything else seems straight-forward.

Thanks again ladies!

Trailmix - I think I said this before, but you should get a job with US immigration - you are so knowledgable and helpful, and genuinely care about people's situations!

Timeline

Hey there,

Yeah, we didn't need any immigration papers, but my husband has no status in Canada other than being a visitor. I'm pretty sure that you don't need any immigration papers since the whole idea is to Citizenize your children for the US not Canada....unless your husband renounced his citizenship but I think I recall you saying he is dual. So, everything I said before should be good and you should be good to go if you have all the doc's, your spouse and child!!

NOA 1- April, 2008

PROOF OF DOMICILE:

Timeline

I read that link and it seems weird but maybe it means that if you were both Americans and came to Canada, then maybe that would be for you. But I could be totally off...hopefully trailmix can add to this.

NOA 1- April, 2008

PROOF OF DOMICILE:

Timeline

Well that is interesting! The only reason I can think that perhaps they would want to see a Canadian immigration record is to prove that it is actually possible that the child is the child of the American Citizen? The previous item on the list is:

In some cases the U.S. citizen parent may be asked to complete an Affidavit of Parentage and Physical Presence at the time of Application.

It's quite odd though, other than that I can't think of any reason why they would want that Canadian record.

But anyhoo! I don't think that applies to your Husband at all anyway, he was not an immigrant, since he was here on a work visa - two different kettle of fish - if you just supply the other documents i'm sure you will be fine!

• 1 year later...
Filed: Timeline

Do not mean to hijack an old thread but are there any others that have completed this process but for a person over the age of 18?

I am just looking for some information and what to expect as I go through this process...

I am 24 years old and have a USC Father who is living with my mother and I, since my birth in Canada (Sarnia, ON). He carry's a US passport which is not expired, just renewed as of this Month actually... the new passports are nice!!!

I was seeking advice for a long time and am finally taking the steps to claim USC based on parentage.

I have my appointment booked for the end of this month, and all of my information put together that is needed according to the Adult Citizenship Determination page @ the Consulate in Toronto.

w w w.consular.canada.usembassy.g o v/usa_citizenship_claim.asp

I am going with my American father and all of his information that they have requested as listed on the website for my interview / meeting in Toronto...

The only document that I am still going to get him to process for me is his Social Security Tax filing records- these are easy for us to get as we are all Nexus holders and live less than 5 minutes from Port Huron, MI in Sarnia, ON. I read in a topic on this forum that getting these will help aid in the residency requirements - as of now I have his , elem school, high school transcripts, employment records from past employers in MI, etc. but I might as well get his Tax filing records from the Port Huron SSN office to supplement this information also. (Seems like great advice) Also, very easy for me to obtain, being a NEXUS holder, everything in Port Huron is LOCAL to us in Sarnia, minus the 4 dollar bridge tolls back and forth (2 dollars saved if bridge tokens are used )

Does anyone have experience with this? How did it go... what are the procedures... do you speak to someone that day or simply go to Toronto to mail your information and wait for a response of whether of not you qualify and meet the requirements of obtaingin US citizenship through a parent... I am 24 years old now btw, the threads I have found all seem to be to report a minor for USC... although the procedure seems pretty close to being the same.

I was VERY worried about being over 18 when finally getting around to getting this done and the USCIS and Border Protection officials had basically told me I was to old -- then I was pointed to the US Consular website for Canada and was greatly excited to find out it still could be done!!

Thanks for any info that any of you have... you are all very informative and this is a great forum... All information is very much appreciated - as this procedure has been a long time coming and I have VERY excited.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.