roman1982

Please Help

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

I have my interview literally next week. And thought I had everything covered until I looked here and saw some post on the Affidavit of Support.

My fiancee is sponsoring me, and we are filling out the i-134. This is right? Some people mention i-864? But guessing it is just the i-134.

Now her wage is above the poverty line etc, so that is not a worry.

However, what I am worried about is that we do not have a tax transcript from the IRS or Form 1040.

What we do have is w2s for the past 3 years; all payslips this year; letter from employer confirming salary and permanency; and letter from bank confirming savings. So will this be ok? Nothing is mentioned on the http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html page about needing the tax transcript if you have 2 of the others?

Can someone please confirm? Am driving myself crazy now!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi all,

I have my interview literally next week. And thought I had everything covered until I looked here and saw some post on the Affidavit of Support.

My fiancee is sponsoring me, and we are filling out the i-134. This is right? Some people mention i-864? But guessing it is just the i-134.

Now her wage is above the poverty line etc, so that is not a worry.

However, what I am worried about is that we do not have a tax transcript from the IRS or Form 1040.

What we do have is w2s for the past 3 years; all payslips this year; letter from employer confirming salary and permanency; and letter from bank confirming savings. So will this be ok? Nothing is mentioned on the http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new/visa/iv/faffidavit.html page about needing the tax transcript if you have 2 of the others?

Can someone please confirm? Am driving myself crazy now!

1.Use the i-134

2.Tax returns ok--i didnt do transcript-dont know what they are..lol--i just had a print out of my yearly tax returns..big whoop.

3. w2's ok

4. bank stuff ok

5. work info ok

b2gel0s1sc.png

We're a April 2009 K1 filer, see our timeline for specifics....:-)

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

Date Filed : 2009-01-31

Date: 2010-02-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-03-09

EAD received: 2010-04-01

Interview Date 2010-04-29--APPROVED!

VISA IN HAND: 2010-05-28--WAHOOO!

Timeline

Hopefully, someone can tell you that they went to the interview and everything was fine without having the tax returns but most everyone takes them. London is more concerned about the I-134 than almost anything else that you will bring to the interview. The tax transcripts can be requested on the phone and faxed while you are on the phone with them. Your fiance can scan and email them to you. The thing with it is, it doesn't take but 20 minutes of time, they will fax them to you for free and is it worth having delays with your visa for not having them?? You are going to have to have them for the AOS, so why not take the time and go ahead and get them just in case. Personally, we have waited too long and put too much time into this process to have a delay over a tax transcript. I would send a DNA test at this point if they wanted it...It is your call. You can take the risk but is it worth worrying over it when you can just make a call?

You will be fine with all that evidence. Tax returns are the most common but for the K1 visa and the I-134 at London, they just want to see proof of income. You will easily prove it with all you're bringing. For AOS, your Affidavit of Support will be the I-864 and they do ask for the most recent tax return.

Tax return = all IRS forms you filed (ie. 1040, Schedule A. B, C, D if they applied to you) + W2(s) from employer(s)

Or you can order the free tax transcript and it is a stand alone document. The 2008 return or transcript will be good until April 15, 2010, which is the deadline to file a new return. After that you will have to send the 2009 return as the most recent. Did I confuse you with the tax years?? Taxes are based on a calendar year so 2009 taxes will not be filed until after 2009 ends. That's why 2008 tax returns are the most recent return at this time

Also keep in mind that the poverty guidelines change after the first of the year around March. So those of you adjusting status in the US after that time, will have higher income to prove.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks everyone. Just incase anyone else has this the IRS number is 800 829 1040. Free and call 24/7. They sent us the last 3 years Tax Return Transcripts via fax in 10 minutes, and it was free.

I have another 2 questions regarding this. Firstly, what is the i-864 that people talk about. This is just for family, like parents, brothers etc.

Also, on the section on the i-134 that asks for value of posessions : I am leaving this blank as although all the personal possetions probably do amount to a significant amount, we have not got receipts or valuations, and I guess this is what they are looking for? What has everyone else done?

Thanks so much everyone for the help.

Timeline

The I-864 if the affidavit of support form that you submit when you file the AOS. It is a more in depth form that is required when you adjust status. As far as the value section, you can put an amount. It doesn't matter either way because they are going to be looking at income information anyway...Glad to hear that you got the tax transcripts so fast and eay...thank is great! Also, make sure on question 11 of the I-134 that it is marked "I intend" and then a brienf statement of how the fiance is intended to be supported. Hope this helps...

I qualified to sponsor Nik on my income alone (like your fiancee), so I left the lines BLANK. You only need to present information to the point that you meet the requirements. The assets are used to show that you can meet the income short fall if necessary.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

On the I-134, I put the value of my two cars as personal property. I did not document it in any way. I listed balances in savings and bank accounts and investments, and sent the last statements. I put a value for my home, with no documentation. I attended the interview so was aware of what they took to add to the file. At the first window where they look over your documents and organize things to give the interviewer, my fiance gave her a folder containing the financial things. She took out the I-134, one tax return, and one letter of two showing monthly income (equivalent to an employer letter.) She handed everything else back. Seriously, it's only about showing your income is over the poverty limits. You don't have to over-do showing other money it if you are well over. The interviewer never even brought up the affidavit so it was passed over quickly.

I learned from that and when it came time to do the I-864, I didn't give any information on the form except yearly income source and amount. I provided 3 years of tax transcripts (only 1 required, 3 optional) and the employer type letters proving the income. I skipped the whole bank and investment and property values. No RFEs were issued and the green card was received. YOu don't really need to present accounts and investments unless you don't have the income and are making up the difference with your assets.

The I-864 is used for many visas and adjustment of status for spouses, relatives, employees, students, etc. so don't get bogged down in the one-size-fits-all language that can confuse you. For a K1/K3 adjusting status, the US spouse will fill out an I-864 and provide similar documentation as for the I-134. See the form download at the bottom of this USCIS page.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Just had an email from a guy who interviewed yesterday (20-Nov) and is not a VJ member.

His part about I-134 documentation:

For the affidavit of support, we used a joint sponsor.

The documents I submitted for the Affidavit of support are as follows

i134 from fiance

fiances letter of employment

fiances bank statement

i134 from co sponsor (not a family member, and does not live in same state)

letter of employment from co sponsor

letter from bank from co sponsor

He was approved pending medical results. His medical was yesterday afternoon.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline
The I-864 if the affidavit of support form that you submit when you file the AOS. It is a more in depth form that is required when you adjust status. As far as the value section, you can put an amount. It doesn't matter either way because they are going to be looking at income information anyway...Glad to hear that you got the tax transcripts so fast and eay...thank is great! Also, make sure on question 11 of the I-134 that it is marked "I intend" and then a brienf statement of how the fiance is intended to be supported. Hope this helps...

The example form here: http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Form-I-134.pdf

Suggests answering question 11 by ticking neither box and writing "N/A ( K1 visa process for permanent residence )". Worked for us.

Regards,

Adam

K-1 Visa

I-129F mailed: 19/02/2009

NOA-1 received: 27/02/2009

NOA-2 received: ????

Packet 3 received: 27/07/2009

Packet 3 sent: 07/08/2009

Packet 4 (interview date) received: 24/08/2009

Medical: 28/08/2009

Interview at London Embassy: 11/09/2009

(Application suspended at Interview pending submission of I-134 & long-form birth certificate)

I-134 & long-form birth certificate sent: 14/10/2009

Visa delivered to work: 29/10/2009

Total days from mailing petition: 252

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your advice. It is really appreciated. We are now going in fully armed with all the financial info for back-up, and just handing over what seems to be necessary according to everyone's replies. Thanks again, this forum really should be recommended for some kind of stress relief award, and I am not even the stressed type!

Hi. Just seems like this i-134 is the most important form at London.

Just wanted to ask what everyone has put for q.10 (i have submitted a visa petition for the following persons.....) and q.11 (I intend or 'do not intend')

From what I have read on this site there is a little discrepancy. Some people say n/a in both cases, but I can veering towards putting my fiancees name for q.10, and "I Intend" and a brief description for q.11.

I am sure this has been asked a million times, but I just wanted to get the London point of view on it, as the embassy seems more concerned with this form than any other.

Thanks.

Timeline

I posted this question over a month ago and the majority of responses that I got was that I needed to answer question 11 with "I intend" and how I intend to support my fiance. I think people have done it both ways but there was someone who went to an interview and did not have that box ticked and the CO was going to make them change it and send it in. I had sent the 1st one to my fiance like the example on here and then mailed another one after I had so many responses to change it.

London has delayed the issuance of the visa and required that an applicant return new I134 with I INTEND checked, after they had presented an I134 which followed the example forms on Visa Journey.

Visa Journey is a good resource, and very helpful for common processes, but when dealing with something as wishy washy as the I134, and how different consulates interpret, you are best served to go with what is advised to you by people who have gone through that consulate.

I can tell you another thing: No one who has checked I intend to specifically support my fiance has ever been told to come back with papers which say that they don't intend.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.