Inky

Tree or not to Tree

110 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

99% of the time we put up our 'fake' white tree - I love it. It is not pre-lit and each of the branch things has to be put in individually.

When I buy a new tree, eventually, it will be prelit and foldable!

That said, since you are in a smaller place right now, what you might want to do it buy a full size tree and only put up half of it (that's what I did last year). It looked pretty cute at half size - but then, of course, gives you the option of the larger tree when you want it!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't have a tree growing up. Didn't celebrate Christmas at all, because of religion. I have matured and am fine with that now. And J grew up with it but doesn't really want to do anything about it. Not sure, but I have a hunch that Christmas in the US is more... in your face or something. But I don't really have any data to back that up.

I would really like to decorate a cactus :P

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We bought a tree last year from target for 60.00... it is an outdoor tree but we liked the fact that it came in a pot and was prelit and was really pretty looking. It's also only 5 ft tall... now that I think about it, it was really stupid to buy a tiny tree for the price we did based only on the fact that we thought it looked nice... but it is super nice. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
wow it looks really pretty! looks real too! so the only down side for you is that you have to stick on every branch. Seems like it would be frustrating / take a while to do with a large tree. Is it hard to stick them in or just time consuming? the hinge ones look decent, the one in the store did anyways. Only thing is they had some spaces on that tree between the branches and because it was hinged you cant relaly change the spaces to make it look more full like yours does.

Ours is hinged. You can play with the branches quite a bit, obviously not as much as one that is branch by branch, but with a little love, it can look pretty darned good. Our tree never has big holes in it.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
this is our tree.. and no, I don't have the tree set up yet these pics were taken last Christmas :P

wow it looks really pretty! looks real too! so the only down side for you is that you have to stick on every branch. Seems like it would be frustrating / take a while to do with a large tree. Is it hard to stick them in or just time consuming? the hinge ones look decent, the one in the store did anyways. Only thing is they had some spaces on that tree between the branches and because it was hinged you cant relaly change the spaces to make it look more full like yours does.

it is not hard to put in the branches just time consuming and I don't mind terribly.. i love putting up the tree :) I hate taking it down.. :(

my SIL has a tree that just folds out and it looks pretty full...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
99% of the time we put up our 'fake' white tree - I love it. It is not pre-lit and each of the branch things has to be put in individually.

When I buy a new tree, eventually, it will be prelit and foldable!

That said, since you are in a smaller place right now, what you might want to do it buy a full size tree and only put up half of it (that's what I did last year). It looked pretty cute at half size - but then, of course, gives you the option of the larger tree when you want it!

Your for the folding / hinged branches too huh? maybe I should go with a hinged one hmm

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

To be honest? I just like the fact that it's usually time off from work time!!! it means a fun holiday with the kids and playing with toys and baking good stuff to eat.

That's what I like about it.

Xmas is for the little kids and they make it fun. For me, personally? DOn't really give a rats about gifts adn stuff but I love me a two week long holiday!

:D

And cooking and baking.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

Ours is hinged. You can play with the branches quite a bit, obviously not as much as one that is branch by branch, but with a little love, it can look pretty darned good. Our tree never has big holes in it.

Ya the tree I looked at was a little on the lower price scale for the trees they had, might also be why it had spaces in it ?

To be honest? I just like the fact that it's usually time off from work time!!! it means a fun holiday with the kids and playing with toys and baking good stuff to eat.

Xmas is for the little kids and they make it fun. For me, personally? DOn't really give a rats about gifts adn stuff but I love me a two week long holiday!

And cooking and baking.

haha my husband and I are still like kids.. all for the xbox, ps3 amd wii !! not to mention electronics too.

Im going to do a vanilla cake and a bunch of snicker doodles as well for when he gets home!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Timeline

Yeah, thats' totally it! Playing with the toys, baking all the naughty foods and just hanging out -- that is awesome!

:)

Ya the tree I looked at was a little on the lower price scale for the trees they had, might also be why it had spaces in it ?

And cooking and baking.

haha my husband and I are still like kids.. all for the xbox, ps3 amd wii !! not to mention electronics too.

Im going to do a vanilla cake and a bunch of snicker doodles as well for when he gets home!

USCIS

NVC

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

Kermit the Frog

Timeline

At my moms house she puts up the tree before we arrive and my son decorates it... and it ends up looking like someone barfed christmas spirit all over the damn thing.

I am slightly obsessed with symmetry so looking at the tree bothers me... way more than it should and everytime he leaves the room I run over and fiddle with the ornaments. I am known to do this at other peoples houses too. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
At my moms house she puts up the tree before we arrive and my son decorates it... and it ends up looking like someone barfed christmas spirit all over the damn thing.

I am slightly obsessed with symmetry so looking at the tree bothers me... way more than it should and everytime he leaves the room I run over and fiddle with the ornaments. I am known to do this at other peoples houses too. :P

haha thats funny! I do the tree ornament fixing too. - I was looking at the pre-decorated trees and have to agree, looks like barfed christmas spirit.. wayyyyyyyy to much stuff on them !

Timeline

Possibly. We did only spend $20 on our tree, though.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

I would say definately get a tree. Artificial is good in a small area, if you get the kind with branches that just slot in you can leave branches off in the back and squish it back in a corner. I found some gorgeous ornaments in the dollar store last year. Mouth blown, hand decorated glass.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep; But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep...

Timeline

:lol:

USCIS

NVC

Kermit the Frog

Timeline
I would say definately get a tree. Artificial is good in a small area, if you get the kind with branches that just slot in you can leave branches off in the back and squish it back in a corner. I found some gorgeous ornaments in the dollar store last year. Mouth blown, hand decorated glass.

By some 4 year old in Indonesia probably! w00t!

:P

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.