jsnearline

Married Filipinos who send money to family back in Philippines

128 posts in this topic

When my wife received her first American paychek she sent $200.00 to the Philippines for her family back in the Philippines ( parents, brother and nieces ). She also sent checks to my daughters and brought our boys to Walmart to buy a toy they want. She said its her tradition to always share with immediate family members the first paycheck. After that she has not send any money home because they don't need it. Her mom actually gets paid a lot being an RTC judge, Manong Arnel is working , and her father receives whatever income generated from their rented properties.

I remember at one time the brother asked for additional money and Myla said NO. Her reason was that she doesnt want her brother to turn into a bum like a number of her neighbors who just sit around and wait for money coming from the states, from either a family member working abroad or married to a foreigner. Since he is working, he should have enough money for his expenses, on top of it, her mom spends for the nieces so he is doing okay. At one time her father had to be admitted and she did offer help but the Mom refused saying she is responsible for him, not my wife. Keeps telling her to concentrate on her family now ( me and kids) . What a great mother-in-law:)

Her income here is OUR money and most of it goes to our savings for spending when we retire. We already sent a box full of goodies for Christmas.If she wants to send money I don't mind, she works hard for it but she is more concerned of US and our future and probably because her family back home is doing just fine.

Edited by jom

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

I would recommend that if you are going to send money home then set up ground rules so the family will understand what they will be recieving and also understand that you will not be giving any extra. We didn't do this with Claudeth's family and now they expect us to send whatever they ask for. Ugh! Once we put our foot in the bucket it is hard to get it back out :unsure:

Also, I have a savings account with an ATM card. We sent the family the ATM card so now they can just go to about any ATM and get money. The Bank of the Philippine Islands seem to be the best. Each withdrawn transaction only costs us $1.50.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
When I say relative, I actually meant my wife's mmediate family.

I wasn't inclined to help my in-laws with their mortgage when they got behind, especially since the first I heard of it was the threat of impending foreclosure. That signified poor financial planning. When my wife asked me for money for that, I told her if she wanted to help, she would have to come up with the funds out of her own discretionary money.

Likewise, I wasn't very thrilled to help when my wife's dad wound up in the hospital because of a lifetime of bad habits (alcoholism, smoking, etc...). He didn't have insurance because he had spent his retirement money on alcohol and gambling. My wife's family told her that her dad could not be released from the very expensive hospital he was at until they paid the bill, and of course they had no money to do so. So, my wife felt she had no choice but to come up with the money. I don't know why they chose to take her dad to the most expensive hospital in town when they couldn't afford the rates and without even bothering to consult my wife. I ended up having to cancel a contract to buy a house for our family because of this situation. As a result, we're still renting.

When the in-laws' house was severely damaged by Ondoy, I told my wife I would help, but that there was no way I could give them the money to buy a new house. I could send money for basic necessities like food, clothes, and money to get them started renting, but that's all I could do.

The problem I have is that after the current crisis, there will always be another one, and no matter how much money my wife sends, it will never be enough and her family will always want more. So, my wife always feels guilty that she's not doing more and her family keeps treating her merely like an ATM. Then, when we want to buy something or my parents have a financial crisis, my wife tells me that we can't afford it...

Okay... Got it!... As for me, I will not send them money and will just tell them that I am having trouble here and I can't help this time. I must say that in general, Filipino families are a bit sucker with their family living or working abroad. They will always ask money no matter what, when you tolerate them doing that to you.

Anyway, this is just suggestion. What if you laid back a little bit, tell your wife not to send money when they needed it. They will start figuring things with themselves. Give them a lesson that you are not just picking-up money outside your backyard, you work hard to earn it, and you have your lives here to work on too.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Okay... Got it!... As for me, I will not send them money and will just tell them that I am having trouble here and I can't help this time. I must say that in general, Filipino families are a bit sucker with their family living or working abroad. They will always ask money no matter what, when you tolerate them doing that to you.

Anyway, this is just suggestion. What if you laid back a little bit, tell your wife not to send money when they needed it. They will start figuring things with themselves. Give them a lesson that you are not just picking-up money outside your backyard, you work hard to earn it, and you have your lives here to work on too.

Whenever we tell Claudeth's family we can't afford to send them money I imagine I see their eyes glazing over and then a little later they are asking for money again. It seems they don't listen to something that they don't want to hear :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Does the issue of sending money home (or how much you send) cause tension between you and your spouse? If so, how have you tried to resolve it?

What rules do you and your spouse follow regarding remittances (e.g. money only comes from Filipino spouse's pay)?

How do you determine the amount of money you send back to family in Philippines?

How do you distinguish legitimate needs vs. "nice to have"s?

How do you handle emergencies (real and imagined) that come up?

Have you ever cut any family members off financially? If so, why and for how long?

Money will only cause tension for me and my husband if we give and spend beyond our means.

We are honest with my relatives, if we have extra money I send money to them,even if they don't ask us.

I tell them to keep it and buy what is necessary.

But when we don't have extra I tell them also we can't send.

The money to send is determined by the extra money we have, let's say 50 dollars this month.

Then 75 dollars next month.

We have emergency money we keep for ourselves but we can always spare them some, like 100 dollars

and that's it. No more no less.

Yes, cutting of a family member is also advised, especially if the terms of suppport has already been met. (example: helping a sister go to school, when she is finished in her studies, she is on her own, And limit only to 4 years, we will not expect for her to stay in college for 6 or 7 years if she is only taking a 4-year course.)

i don't work yet, and I submit to my husband's decisions when it comes to money matters. he always tell me "if we have extra money, they don't need to ask twice.. and when you're already working the money that you want to send to your family will be all up to you.. for now the priority of what I earn is for this family of ours"

My husband is awesome in many ways.. I respect him for that :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Does the issue of sending money home (or how much you send) cause tension between you and your spouse? If so, how have you tried to resolve it?

What rules do you and your spouse follow regarding remittances (e.g. money only comes from Filipino spouse's pay)?

How do you determine the amount of money you send back to family in Philippines?

Have you ever cut any family members off financially? If so, why and for how long?

No tension. Its my own money not from my hubby (USC).

You have done well at becoming an American Women. Glad my wife is not!

xl91yv7f.png

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think what she was trying to say is that she only sends money home that she earns instead of manipulating her husband into sending his own.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

This is my attitude way back even before i got married. I have enough money to take care of my family.

No generalization needed in this thread. And I'm glad you are not my husband!

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

It's a great question and it depends on so many factors - each of us clearly has a different story. My wife would rather die than ask me to support her elderly parents. I, on the other hand, was convinced that for long term purposes - it would be smart to do so. So without her asking I told me wife that I intended to send money. The money goes directly to her mother's bank account once a month and covers the DSL I ordered for their house with about 12,000php/mo left over. A MagicJack phone sits on the laptop I provided. My wife can now talk to her family any and every day at no cost. Her family are not worried about finances. There is no homesickness and my wife's parents have pride. The $300US I spend each month to do this means that there are no other communication fees. The result has been happiness all around. Other's may have rules about "is the wife working." It's an OK question especially if the home budget is limited. But the cost of isolation, resentment, penny-pinching can be significant.

Mike & Beth, Riverton, WY

I-129F Section:

23 Apr 2009 | CSC Received I-129F

26 Sep 2009 | Wedding

AoS Section:

09 Oct 2009 | I-485 packet received in Chicago

06 Mar 2010 | Green Cards received

I-751 Removal of Conditions Section:

26 Nov 2011 | Filed I-751 ROC packet to CSC

16 Jun 2012 | 10 Year Green cards arrive

N-400 Naturalization - Citizenship Section:

26 NOV 2012 | Sent N-400 to Phoenix Lockbox

30 NOV 2012 | 797C

17 DEC 2012 | Biometrics

Ditto :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

It's a great question and it depends on so many factors - each of us clearly has a different story. My wife would rather die than ask me to support her elderly parents. I, on the other hand, was convinced that for long term purposes - it would be smart to do so. So without her asking I told me wife that I intended to send money. The money goes directly to her mother's bank account once a month and covers the DSL I ordered for their house with about 12,000php/mo left over. A MagicJack phone sits on the laptop I provided. My wife can now talk to her family any and every day at no cost. Her family are not worried about finances. There is no homesickness and my wife's parents have pride. The $300US I spend each month to do this means that there are no other communication fees. The result has been happiness all around. Other's may have rules about "is the wife working." It's an OK question especially if the home budget is limited. But the cost of isolation, resentment, penny-pinching can be significant.

:thumbs:

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

My wife and I are currently living in the Philippines and we talked about this before we got married. My feeling is that the family got along just fine without my help before I met them and they'll get along just fine without my help now.

When we met she was working and sending money to her mother every month. Once we married, we moved to another city and she has not been able to find work here since then. So, we continue to send her mother money each month. I think since my wife was doing this before we met but stopped because we got married that we have an obligation to continue to help her mother.

If there are medical emergencies we will contribute along with the rest of the family. For example, our 3-year-old nephew has heart problems that required an initial hospital stay followed by life-long medication. When he was diagnosed we were asked to pay all the bills. Since there are several OFWs earning a good salary in the family, I asked how much they were contributing and was met by blank stares. They looked at me like I was crazy to expect them to contribute when there was a Kano in the family. I offered to contribute as much as the other family members were going to contribute but not more than that. We wound up contributing about 4,000 pesos and between our contribution and the rest of the family our nephew is out of immediate danger and on his medicine.

Once we move to the US and my wife starts working we've agreed that she will contribute 40% of our monthly expenses including contributions to savings and the money we send to her mother. If her earnings are not enough to contribute 40% of our monthly budget than she will contribute 70% of her earnings instead. Anything left over she is free to do with as she pleases. If she wants to send it to relatives, go shopping, whatever....I don't care since it is her money.

Finally, I'd like to comment on the issue of us American husbands having to adapt to Filipino culture since we married a foreigner. That is certainly true, but my wife also married a foreigner. It is her equal responsibility to adapt to my culture and meet me halfway. In the case of financial assistance to the family she needs to understand that doing that is not the American culture and be willing to adapt to my cultural way of doing things and moderate her expectations. If she is not willing to compromise and meet me halfway, then I know she is not serious about making our marriage work and we need to go our separate ways.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage : 2008-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2009-03-21

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-03-31

I-130 Approved : 2009-07-30

NVC Received : 2009-08-17

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-08-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-09-02

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-09-08

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-09-02

Receive IV Bill : 2009-09-17

Pay IV Bill : 2009-09-22

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 121 days from your NOA1 date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.