Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Welcome Tali!!

LOL @ your honey and his fear of Kingston. He will be ok overnight. If you guys have the cash, try to convince him to stay at one of the following - each is right around the corner from the embassy. ( I slept like a baby as did almost everyone on this thread - no gunshots, no nuttin'!_

Courtleigh

Hilton

Altamont Court

Knutsford (not as close as the others, but not that far either)

Tell him I said he needs to be at the embassy awake and alert. Also, my dear Henry stayed at the hotel but decided to dash home to St. Thomas the night before and guess what... it rained and rained and rained and cars were flooded and roads impassable. I was losing my mind pacing in my room at the hotel. He finally made it back to Kingston at about 11pm much to my relief. So please encourage your guy to overnight in Kingston. Not trying to scare you....but you know JA...anything can happen.

Good luck and I am sure your interview will go fine!

This is such good advice :thumbs:

Click My Timeline For Our K-1 Info

10.21.05 - Applied For SS Card (He's Not In The System Yet)

10.27.05 - Got Marriage License

11.02.05 - Received SS Card In The Mail

11.10.05 - Passed Permit Test!

NOVEMBER 18th - We're Married!

12.17.05 - Mailed AOS/EAD Papers

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

12.29.05 - Received both NOA's in the mail (receipt dates 12.20.05)

02.17.06 - Received Biometrics Letter

02.27.06 - Got Driver's License!

03.11.06 - Biometrics Appointment

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

03.21.06 - EAD Came In The Mail

04.10.06 - Received AOS Interview Letter

06.08.06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

06.19.06 - Green Card Received

WE'RE DONE!

08.22.06 - Elias Is Finally Here!!! Born at 1:13am, 8lbs. 15oz. and 20.5 Inches Long

November 18th, 2006 - Our Real Wedding In Negril

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ladies,

Check out this website - has lots of useful info. It touts itself as THE guide to life in America for the newcomer. LOL

Foreignborn.com

Julie! How are you!! Any day now, eh? Michael must be so excited. I know Henry would be beside himself. Hopefully one day.

(Pls tell where you are registered again :help: )

Edited by Elizabethnhenry

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Thanks for the welcome. I've finally found my way to the "Yardies" site. It took me a while and I just finished scanning some of the messages. You all are quite a family. And I was tickled to see you mention my name at the end :)

I'm so happy for the woman who married Duane. She seems so happy. And I feel badly for the woman who decided not to marry her fiancee and now he wants to sue. In reading the messages I had to stop and wonder if its really true that we are responsible for our husband (even after divorce) for 10 years? That seems a bit harsh.

I've been reading your comments about the interview and its great information. I've been so nervous! And he has too. We are driving from Negril to Kingston for the 7:15 interview (leaving at like 2:30 in the morning). He hates kingston (got robbed there as a kid) and dosen't want to spend the night there (wit dem keepin all dat noise and gunshots and dem.... Noo sah!). Sigh.

I really don't know what we will do when he gets here. The other day he called me and I was getting my legs waxed. After a fairly hilarious explanation of what that meant, he asked me if the shop I was in was "downtown". This led to another interesting coversation about how you can have a large concentration of stores out in the boonies. Then I had to explain "the boonies". :)

I love that man!

SOrry I am rambling - just excited to be talking to you folks I guess!

Welcome tail good luck with your interview. Dwain is not that found of Kingston either. He wanted a pastor from there to do our wedding. He used to be the methodist pastor about 6 years ago in Mobay. When he told Dwain to come see him to fill out paper work. Dwain was like I am not going we will find someone else. I understand. Yes I would to spend the night at Kingston Hilton like Elizabethnhenrry said that is very wise advice. I have heard about that road over to Kingston a lot by my mother in law to be. Best Wishes on your interview coming up. Don't sweat it! Take Care

Jax

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks for the welcome. I've finally found my way to the "Yardies" site. It took me a while and I just finished scanning some of the messages. You all are quite a family. And I was tickled to see you mention my name at the end :)

I've been reading your comments about the interview and its great information. I've been so nervous! And he has too. We are driving from Negril to Kingston for the 7:15 interview (leaving at like 2:30 in the morning). He hates kingston (got robbed there as a kid) and dosen't want to spend the night there (wit dem keepin all dat noise and gunshots and dem.... Noo sah!). Sigh.

Hi Tali,

Welcome . I have my interview next week at 7:15am , I live in Portmore which is just 20 minutes drive using the toll road . We are leaving home from 5:00 a.m. to be there. Please reassure him that Kingston is not as bad as he his thinking and to reconsider staying in New Kingston. Where these hotels are it is quite safe, i party in this area until the wee hours in the morning without any reservation. All the best for your interview.

Shar

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

ElGreco Hotel? Are there cockroaches in that hotel? Just wondering if I should bring the ####### spray?

:lol: ok Jax, get your mind out of the gutter :lol::lol: . My advice would be no :P .

Seriously, Shemonya(sbj1221) has stayed there before so maybe she could tell you how the hotel is.

Ok Michele I will get my mind out of the gutter. Maybe I should try cooking that wonderful recipe of ####### soup. Yum Yum chicken and all in my tummy. :lol:

Oh boy I can't sleep.

On a more serious note. How long were your gals letters on how you meet your fiance. I need to write mine on Monday night or Tuesday morning. I think thats the last thing for the 1st packet. Because I probably could go on for pages but I assume they don't want you to ramble and they want a little blurb. The evidence I have is picture since 1999, some im's, western union staments, college transcripts with the course name, my old emails if Dwain finds them from 2000, and a phone record from one year ago. Do I need anymore info on evidence? Thanks Ladies have a great Monday. May it be cooler than here in the Midwest. I am look foward to go to JA because hopefully it will be cooler :whistle: .

Goodnight all

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm so happy for the woman who married Duane. She seems so happy. And I feel badly for the woman who decided not to marry her fiancee and now he wants to sue. In reading the messages I had to stop and wonder if its really true that we are responsible for our husband (even after divorce) for 10 years? That seems a bit harsh.

I really don't know what we will do when he gets here. The other day he called me and I was getting my legs waxed. After a fairly hilarious explanation of what that meant, he asked me if the shop I was in was "downtown". This led to another interesting coversation about how you can have a large concentration of stores out in the boonies. Then I had to explain "the boonies". :)

I love that man!

Welcome Tali!!!

Yep, Elizabeth gave you some great advice.......we stayed at the Hilton in New Kingston. It is within walking distance to the embassy. VERY safe.........Try to convince him to stay becasue you will sure need the rest and need to be as alert as possible at this interview.

So....Duane belongs to me......yep.....I am a little love sick at this point...he just arrived July 19 and things have been going much better than I expected........he is a true gem and I was soooo lucky to find him... (Okay.....I will stop...here I go again........!!!! :no::no: )

Ask away!!! We are here to help!!

CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE: www.embassyart.homestead.com

SEE K-1 TIME LINE IN MY PROFILE

.....INTERVIEW JULY 10, 2006-APPROVED

07/19/06-Duane flew home to the USA-FINALLY!!!!!!!

08/17/06-DUANE AND KIM GOT MARRIED

PART 2 BEGINS

09/20/06- EAD/AOS Mailed to Chicago Today..........Here we go again!!!

10/13/06- Biometric appointment-San Francisco

12/07/06- AOS Interview-San Francisco

CAUGHT IN FBI NAME CHECK DELAY

04/23/07-Received AOS Approval E-Mail

04/25/07-Received CARD Production E-mail

WAITING FOR GREEN CARD TO ARRIVE.......

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

ElGreco Hotel? Are there cockroaches in that hotel? Just wondering if I should bring the ####### spray?

:lol: ok Jax, get your mind out of the gutter :lol::lol: . My advice would be no :P .

Seriously, Shemonya(sbj1221) has stayed there before so maybe she could tell you how the hotel is.

Good morning all.

I've stayed at El Greco many times and never saw any bugs. Someone on Jamaicans.com wrote a trip report saying they had bugs. I never had any security problems...just stayed there last week. I am deathly afraid of any critters so I would never stay somewhere with bugs. We like El Greco because of the privacy, quietness and yet close enough to walk everywhere..not the best hotel in Mo Bay but it will do. Hope you enjoy your stay.

(F) Hello Ladies! It has been a long time since I have written but I have been creeping the forum watching all of your beautiful moments unfold. So much has happened in the past year for all of us, it's so amazing! I am writing now because I need some immediate support.

We have had on and off again discussions about our families and their support (or lack of) in the past. Now it is time for my confessions if you will. I have done all of this immigration and marriage stuff without any of my family members being aware of it. I am close to my family but so distant from them at the same time. My parents and sisters (one of them is starting to understand) have never approved of mine and Henry's relationship for more reasons than racial...over the years it has almost completely vanished from our conversations. When I made the decision to go through with the K1 I made that decision on my own and with the support of my very best friends who knew that I was doing what I had to do. I got married to Henry under the same pretense. For the past year I have had the most wonderful life. I speak with my family every week or so and chit chat about this and that, they never ask me about him and I constantly try to drop his name or talk about things that we have done..etc. My parents live in TX and I have a sister in Boston and Vermont. I have actually only seen them once in the past year so "lying" has been easy but the haunting of this has not.

Yesterday was our one year anniverary and while it was such a rewarding day for us and so accomplishing there was this lingering feeling of major anxiety. I am telling my family today that we eloped yesterday. The idea of telling them that we have been lying for the past year is too excruciating..especially as my mother recently got diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't want them to be too hurt. We have decided that this is the best immediate solution in order to get the truth on the table and keep everyone's feelings in check. Now I am struggling with how to go about this confession. I am making the phone calls tonight. First I will call my parents, then my most opposing sister and finally my happy sister. I'm not even thinking about the immediate family and family friends yet as this is the main priority.

I am so excited to get everything off my chest but also terrified to hear the reactions. I have made a few jokes that I'm going to sit with my bottle of Jack Daniels and just bite the bullet...

If anyone has any advice to offer or is in a similar situation...please share your thoughts. I am waiting for 7PM to come for the first of the three dreaded phone calls. (F)

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Timeline

I love that man!

Welcome Tali.

I've been crazy busy lately. I got back late Wednesday night and had to be at work first thing Thursday morning because my office decided to move while I was in JA :angry: I had to pack, move and unpack in two days. And I had to work and staff the Lebanon task force......all this with a JA hangover. I gave my daughter a slumber party Saturday night then me and my girls went to see Mary J. Blige last night. I am soooo tired :sleepy: .

Damien comes home tonight (L) We had a wonderful trip...7 of my closest friends traveled with us. My friends and I did lots of tourist stuff while Damien chilled with his friends and family. Damien went to the Sumfest the last 3 nights. I only made it one night...I saw Richie Spice, Lady Saw, G-Unit and Sizzla performances. My friends left Monday and I left Wednesday. Pictures will come soon.

Timeline
(F) Hello Ladies! It has been a long time since I have written but I have been creeping the forum watching all of your beautiful moments unfold. So much has happened in the past year for all of us, it's so amazing! I am writing now because I need some immediate support.

We have had on and off again discussions about our families and their support (or lack of) in the past. Now it is time for my confessions if you will. I have done all of this immigration and marriage stuff without any of my family members being aware of it. I am close to my family but so distant from them at the same time. My parents and sisters (one of them is starting to understand) have never approved of mine and Henry's relationship for more reasons than racial...over the years it has almost completely vanished from our conversations. When I made the decision to go through with the K1 I made that decision on my own and with the support of my very best friends who knew that I was doing what I had to do. I got married to Henry under the same pretense. For the past year I have had the most wonderful life. I speak with my family every week or so and chit chat about this and that, they never ask me about him and I constantly try to drop his name or talk about things that we have done..etc. My parents live in TX and I have a sister in Boston and Vermont. I have actually only seen them once in the past year so "lying" has been easy but the haunting of this has not.

Yesterday was our one year anniverary and while it was such a rewarding day for us and so accomplishing there was this lingering feeling of major anxiety. I am telling my family today that we eloped yesterday. The idea of telling them that we have been lying for the past year is too excruciating..especially as my mother recently got diagnosed with breast cancer. I don't want them to be too hurt. We have decided that this is the best immediate solution in order to get the truth on the table and keep everyone's feelings in check. Now I am struggling with how to go about this confession. I am making the phone calls tonight. First I will call my parents, then my most opposing sister and finally my happy sister. I'm not even thinking about the immediate family and family friends yet as this is the main priority.

I am so excited to get everything off my chest but also terrified to hear the reactions. I have made a few jokes that I'm going to sit with my bottle of Jack Daniels and just bite the bullet...

If anyone has any advice to offer or is in a similar situation...please share your thoughts. I am waiting for 7PM to come for the first of the three dreaded phone calls. (F)

Happy Anniversary. I don't have any advice.....hugs to (((((Heny & Doodle))))). Best wishes.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good Morning Ladies,

Welcome back sjb1221,

Welcome to the yard Tali,

Doodle, I am sorry I do not have any direct advice except to say keep strong and hold your head up. Hppy be-lated anniversary, and I am so sorry to hear about your mom, {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{doodle}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Marsha

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Timeline

--------

Doodle,

I TOTALLY know what you are going through!!! My parents are very veeeery prejudicist and THEIR ignorance is intolerable!! We only live about 6 miles from my parents and they have NO CLUE that I've been with Craig for almost 2 years!!! AND that he's been here and we share the same place for over a month now! They will know soon, because soccer season is approaching and our 1st tournament is on Aug 19th. So that should be reeeeally interesting. I haven't even spoken to them for almost 2 weeks !!

I'm NOT living "my life" for "my" parents. They've been like this since day one and out of the 3 kids in our family "I" was the only one to have black friends. To this day, most of my friends are black. Most of my son's friends are black, asian and hispanic.

My mother made an ignorant statement the last time we spoke (in person).....they took my twin nieces (that were visiting for a week in the beginning of July) to a playground near the airport to watch the planes come in...and my mom said to ME...they were the ONLY 2 white kids, but they had fun !!! I said to her, Mom...it's NOT the color of a persons skin that MAKES them the person, kids do NOT "see" color !!! One day, I hope you won't be so ignorant !! and she said, not in this lifetime!!! and I just said.......well, that makes ME really sad !!! and Karma is a reeeeal bee-atch !!

You don't know HOW badly I wanted to say......well YOUR future son-in-law is black !!!!!!!!!!!

Me, my son and Craig are happy and that's what matters the most. My friends are my support system, not my family....and my "family" has NEVER been of any type of support to me in my life ever.

So, I just say....live YOUR life to the fullest and be happy. I know how much it hurts to not have family support, but we will and can never change their ignorance !!!

Kelly

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I guess the hardest part is that throughout my life they have always been supportive. This relationship is hard for them so it's the classic "out of sight out of mind". It's not just racial concerns though, it is age, upbringing, education, foreign born and the fact that he is a father. I think that they worry that we won't have a bright future with his lack of education. They feel that if they don't talk about it, etc. that maybe it will just go away.

It's all so stressful.

See Profile for K-1, AOS and Removing of Conditions Timelines:

Naturalization (N-400):

NOVEMBER 24, 2008 N-400 in the mail!

NOVEMBER 28, 2008 N-400 Arrives

DECEMBER 4, 2008 Check is Cashed!

DECEMBER 10, 2008 NOA1 Received

DECEMBER 16, 2008 NOA2 Received

JANUARY 6, 2009 Fingerprints

FEBRUARY 26, 2009 Interview date recieved

APRIL 8, 2009 Interview

JUNE 12, 2009 Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Julie! How are you!! Any day now, eh? Michael must be so excited. I know Henry would be beside himself. Hopefully one day.

(Pls tell where you are registered again :help: )

Hey :D

I'm doing good - I'm due just one week from today! We are both SO excited... and anxious :clock: It feels like these last weeks are taking forever. And yes, one day you will waddling around just like me! It's only a matter of time.

We're registered at Target :thumbs:

Damien comes home tonight (L) We had a wonderful trip...7 of my closest friends traveled with us. My friends and I did lots of tourist stuff while Damien chilled with his friends and family. Damien went to the Sumfest the last 3 nights. I only made it one night...I saw Richie Spice, Lady Saw, G-Unit and Sizzla performances. My friends left Monday and I left Wednesday. Pictures will come soon.

Wow - sounds like a great trip sjb! How fun that you had so many friends go with, now that sounds like a great time :thumbs:

Edited by Sbys

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

WE'RE DONE!

08.22.06 - Elias Is Finally Here!!! Born at 1:13am, 8lbs. 15oz. and 20.5 Inches Long

Timeline
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I guess the hardest part is that throughout my life they have always been supportive. This relationship is hard for them so it's the classic "out of sight out of mind". It's not just racial concerns though, it is age, upbringing, education, foreign born and the fact that he is a father. I think that they worry that we won't have a bright future with his lack of education. They feel that if they don't talk about it, etc. that maybe it will just go away.

It's all so stressful.

Doodle - I'm sorry your family is being so unaccepting, I can see how that would make life really hard. Kelly makes a good point though, you have to live your life for you and not your family. Just call them, tell them, and then it is up to them to work towards acceptance. There is nothing you can do to force them to that - hopefully, over time, them seeing you happy will be enough.

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

WE'RE DONE!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.