jon&lita311

getting married in Indonesia

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

my fiancee and I are considering on having a religious ceremony in Jakarta but not having it official until arriving the US on a k-1 and just getting married in court. is this possible or even legal?

btw. does anyone from Jakarta, or who has been to Jakarta know where a Church of Christ is located? the past two times I've been there, my fiancee and I had no luck finding one.

I am not familiar with weddings in Indonesia, but if the religious ceremony is considered an official marriage in the country, it is also official in the US. In that case, you cannot enter the US with K-1 because you are already married.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
btw. does anyone from Jakarta, or who has been to Jakarta know where a Church of Christ is located? the past two times I've been there, my fiancee and I had no luck finding one.

So, Protestant church names have a tendancy to have simlar names but vastly differenct theology, but I think I found a Church of Christ church for you:

http://church-of-christ.org/churches/Indon...Indonesia_S.htm

Or did you mean "The United Church of Christ"? If so, you could always ask their ministry leader in Indonesia:

http://globalministries.org/sasia/countries/indonesia/

Or wait...did you mean the Latter Day Saints? THen go here:

http://www.expat.or.id/orgs/churchofjesusc...DS-Jakarta.html

Hope that helped!

Timeline

well, we're not wanting to have an official ceremony there. we just want a small religious ceremony there so a few of her friends and relatives can be there since they can't afford to come to the US for the wedding here. we don't want to sign any legal documents there making it official. we kinda want it under the radar, so to speak.

thanks dg. I've been searching for churches in jakarta on google. my fiancee is going to try to find one when she can too.

Marriages in Indonesia are usually conducted as religious ceremonies. Muslim marriages can be registered right away, but marriages in other faiths have to go through a special government office.

You can have just a religious ceremony without making it legally recognized. Just make sure the person officiating the marriage is aware of this, and does not try to do anything on your behalf. When entering the US, you may be asked if you are already married and you need to say no.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline
Marriages in Indonesia are usually conducted as religious ceremonies. Muslim marriages can be registered right away, but marriages in other faiths have to go through a special government office.

You can have just a religious ceremony without making it legally recognized. Just make sure the person officiating the marriage is aware of this, and does not try to do anything on your behalf. When entering the US, you may be asked if you are already married and you need to say no.

great! thanks!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.