loveaboo

Custom Clearance

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance sent me a prepaid phone plus $40 load with total cost of $55 ($30 prepaid phone set + $25 load). It should arrive tomorrow so I can bring it with me during my trip on Nov. 4. Today, my fiance and I both just received an e-mail from Fedex saying that the package was held up at Customs because the importer needs to pay the taxes and duties. Anyone experience this?

My fiance said that he put in the package that it's for personal use. Also, I thought that there's a minimum value for the Custom to require payment of duties and taxes and if it's for personal use, it's free of duties and taxes.

I've been looking online for the minimum amount and rules and regulations about paying duties and taxes at Customs but I can't find any. Is there anyone here familiar with it? I would really appreciate it.

Honestly if the Custom will require me to go to Manila, I'd rather let it there. It would be so much hassle to go to Manila to claim it with the heavy traffic nowadays. But if someone can suggest any idea on how to resolve it, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Edited by loveaboo

Customs is always a ####### shoot in Manila. Some things can go through with no charges at all and others will cost you thousands...

I think it all depends on if the clerk has a bad hair day or not...

Exactly how was the phone card declared on the FedEx forms?

Did Manila say how much they wanted in fees??

-P

My fiance sent me a prepaid phone plus $40 load with total cost of $55 ($30 prepaid phone set + $25 load). It should arrive tomorrow so I can bring it with me during my trip on Nov. 4. Today, my fiance and I both just received an e-mail from Fedex saying that the package was held up at Customs because the importer needs to pay the taxes and duties. Anyone experience this?

My fiance said that he put in the package that it's for personal use. Also, I thought that there's a minimum value for the Custom to require payment of duties and taxes and if it's for personal use, it's free of duties and taxes.

I've been looking online for the minimum amount and rules and regulations about paying duties and taxes at Customs but I can't find any. Is there anyone here familiar with it? I would really appreciate it.

Honestly if the Custom will require me to go to Manila, I'd rather let it there. It would be so much hassle to go to Manila to claim it with the heavy traffic nowadays. But if someone can suggest any idea on how to resolve it, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline

Additional info, my fiance put that the value is $15 which is true since the $30 prepaid phone package has $15 prepaid load. He also put that the duties and taxes will be billed to sender. Oh well, I have a feeling that the Custom people just wants some money, as always...

I must sadly agree...

depending on how much they want, it may be cheaper to simple abandon the package and have another one sent but be a bit careful about what is declared...

-P

Additional info, my fiance put that the value is $15 which is true since the $30 prepaid phone package has $15 prepaid load. He also put that the duties and taxes will be billed to sender. Oh well, I have a feeling that the Custom people just wants some money, as always...

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline
Customs is always a ####### shoot in Manila. Some things can go through with no charges at all and others will cost you thousands...

I think it all depends on if the clerk has a bad hair day or not...

Exactly how was the phone card declared on the FedEx forms?

Did Manila say how much they wanted in fees??

-P

He said he only used the declaration for cellphone at the drop down menu at fedex website and added that the value is $15 and for personal use. When he checked at fedex website, it's said to be exempted from duties and taxes.

Custom hasn't contacted me yet. I just found out the status when Fedex sent us an e-mail regarding the delay of the shipping. It said that the importer should agree to pay the custom duties and taxes. My fiance noted that if there will be any duties and taxes, it will be billed to sender just like every time he will send a package to me. It used to be, if there's any duties and taxes, it will be deducted to his credit card account and no delay, just a notification that there's a certain amount that will be deducted to his account as payment for custom duties and taxes.

Anyways, If they don't contact me tomorrow morning, I will give them a call. It really amazes me how crooked the Custom people here can be.

Edited by loveaboo

BINGO!!!! there is the problem.

When customs sees the word 'cellphone' alarms go off.

All they see is another 3000 to 4000 PHP in charges. Never use that word!!!

You MIGHT be able to claim the package for a much smaller charge if you can prove that it does not acutally contain a cell phone... maybe...

At this point they will not be willing to release it for no charge...

-P

He said he only used the declaration for cellphone at the drop down menu at fedex website and added that the value is $15 and for personal use. When he checked at fedex website, it's said to be exempted from duties and taxes.

kp7cnfvctuzu.png

Timeline

I'm just glad that we didn't push through on my fiance getting me a nice phone and adding me to his phone line and then sending it to me here so I can use it during the trip. Oh well...Otherwise, we'll give the Custom people more reason to get money from us.

Edited by loveaboo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i had my own share of experience dealing with Fedex people and the customs here in the philippines. and for some reason, U just cant give in to whatever theyre asking from you especially, if you know for sure that the sender already paid the required taxes for the stuffs.

I had 2 experiences about this.. and i would suggest to call the FEDEX branch where ur fiance went.,and tell them about it, and if they will refuse to be responsible for it., its about time to call the Main FEDEX customer service,and tell them about the situation.. at the meantime, tell the FEDEX here in the philippines, to put your package on hold,

We did this twice , and they gave us the package without paying anything...

the last time we dealt with FEDEX was we told them that We will just send the package back to sender.,

then the FEDEX people here are kinda like saying NO coz its gonna cost them more... and once its back to the sender, the Sender can ask for refund coz no service was served..

But eventually, they gave in.. waived the "tax" thingy..

hope that kinda gave u an idea..

Filed: Country:
Timeline

If you want your wife/fiancee to have a working cell phone when they land do this:

Send them a SIM card only enclosed in a general greeting card or some other documents. The SIM Card has no value and she will be able to slip it into her current Cell Phone which should be unlocked. If her current phone isn't unlocked then she can cheaply get a used & unlocked older model phone in the PH for this purpose.

I've already sent Anna an inactive (as in not ever activated) SIM card for AT&T Wireless (my carrier).

A couple of days before her flight I'll add a line to my Family Talk Plan and have the CSR active the line on the SIM she has in her hands.

When she lands in Chicago, she'll simply place the SIM in her iPhone and BANG, she's got a working phone!

BTW, as AT&T has international roaming which covers the PH we'll be able to confirm the activation while she's still there.

Of course with a Prepaid SIM you're sending it HOT (already activated) but you'd get the same effect.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks!!!

There are hight taxes on any NEW Electronics entering the Phillipines, but not on Used personal effects.

xl91yv7f.png

Timeline

Thanks!!!

There are hight taxes on any NEW Electronics entering the Phillipines, but not on Used personal effects.

My fiance declared it as used since he removed it from it's original packaging and tested it and then put it into the fedex box.

Anyways, we called Fedex and they said that the custom can't charge my fiance even though he specified to bill the sender for other fees, if there's any, because the package is already here in the Philippines. I think that's not right. They charged my fiance before when he sent me a package last Dec. 2008 and the package was already here in the Philippines when they charged him. Also they said that IF for example the tax will be P5K or higher, I'll have to pay the 50% as downpayment before they send me the package and pay the other 50% COD. Otherwise, I'll have to pay COD. They told us to call again tomorrow to check if there's an assessment of the fees already. I told them that I need the phone before Nov. 4 and I don't plan to pay for that ridiculous custom taxes and that they could ship it back to the sender. They said that I should wait for the assessment 1st of the fees before I decide to have it shipped back to my fiance.

Goodness, who would have thought that a $15 Prepaid Phone at Walmart can give this much trouble?!? :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks!!!

Hi

I had an experience like that too. My husband sent me Bible and some other books one time. Same thing the FedEx called me that I have to pay 2000 pesos so I can get or deliver my package. I was so shocked because my husband paid it plus it was so much expensive. We were both pissed off and they told me that the amount you are going to pay is depending on how much is the declared amount of the package. I guess it's better not to declare anything then but if they lost it they won't pay you because they didn't know the exact amount. Your package should be in your local FedEx office cause in my case I ended up picking it in their office instead of delivering it to my house.

Hope you'll get it soon. God Bless ! !

Thanks!!!

when my husband sent me an iPhone,we paid like 4000 pesos, when the delivery boy came here he said i need to pay it. fedex (air21 in the PH) paid it in advance..

happier than ever

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I'll never send anything to the PH using any courier other than DHL with the exception of BalikBayan Boxes.

When I sent my wife a laptop and several accessories, I misunderstood DHL's instructions on the customs forms. PH wanted 12,000Php tarrif on it. It took 3 days but DHL US & PH worked together to amend the documents and Customs reduced the tarrif to under 600Php.

7 months later I used UPS (who uses Air21 in PH) to send a replacement (as in repaired) iPhone to her after she sent me her damaged one. I declared that it was a repaired iPhone which was already the personal property of the receiver and Customs still wanted 4,000Php even with the document showing she had sent me a damaged iPhone just the week prior and detailing that the screen & housing were replaced at the repair. Air21 and UPS didn't care to do anything. After a few days we just paid the fees and will never use either company again.

DHL goes to bat for their customers, I'll always use them for international shipping.

Timeline

Just an update: I called Fedex today and they said that the package was released by the Custom. BUT I have to pay P1200 for Custom Duties and Taxes. That's ridiculous! It's simply not tolerable. The value of the package is only $15 which is approximately Php750 only. I've never heard of duties and taxes reaching 167% of the value of the item, just now.

Anyways, I just told them to return it to sender. I wonder if my fiance can get his shipping payment back...I hope he can. I'll ask him to call Fedex and ask for his money back.

Thanks to everyone who have shared their knowledge and experiences on this matter. Much appreciated.

Edited by loveaboo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.