irfan

Affidavit of Support

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

All

A friend of mine's sister was sponsored by his elder brother over 12 years ago. The US consulate in Pakistan Lost her file but when my friend sent them emails and details they were able to reopen the case and file was found. Now the issue is the original petitioner ( the older brother) does not want to submitt the affidavit of support anymore. My friend who make much more then the poverty limit has no issue with giving his sister the affidavit as co sponsor.

The question is "is an affidavit required from the original petioner also or the co sponser can file one and it will be enough" ?

Any input from whoever has this experience is appreciated. Thanks

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The person petitioning MUST submit an I-864. So, the older brother MUST submit an I-864 or there will be no immigration visas. The other brother can be a JOINT SPONSOR and submit a second I-864. This brother is NOT a petitioner; he is only a Joint Sponsor for the Affidavit of Support.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
The person petitioning MUST submit an I-864. So, the older brother MUST submit an I-864 or there will be no immigration visas. The other brother can be a JOINT SPONSOR and submit a second I-864. This brother is NOT a petitioner; he is only a Joint Sponsor for the Affidavit of Support.

Yes, the elder brother has to submit the I-864. The petitioner (the elder brother) suppose to submit the I-864, younger brother can be a joint sponsor.

Sorry I got confused with elder and younger brother and petitioner, my bad.

Timeline

Yes, the elder brother has to submit the I-864. The petitioner (the elder brother) suppose to submit the I-864, younger brother can be a joint sponsor.

Thanks for you response. This is what i told him too. I believe incase the older brother does not submitt he has to petition from start by himself. Right?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Thanks for you response. This is what i told him too. I believe incase the older brother does not submitt he has to petition from start by himself. Right?

If the Petitioner (elder brother) does not submit an I-864, then the petition is dead. If the younger brother wants to petition for the sister, he would have to start over and it will be another 12 years. If she has kids, they may not be able to immigrate with her if they turn 21 years old during the next 12 years. There is not way to substitute one Petitioner with another (except for hardship cases where the original Petitioner dies).

What is wrong with the elder brother? Why can't he submit an I-864?

Timeline

If the Petitioner (elder brother) does not submit an I-864, then the petition is dead. If the younger brother wants to petition for the sister, he would have to start over and it will be another 12 years. If she has kids, they may not be able to immigrate with her if they turn 21 years old during the next 12 years. There is not way to substitute one Petitioner with another (except for hardship cases where the original Petitioner dies).

What is wrong with the elder brother? Why can't he submit an I-864?

Thats the question i asked too. But for now the elder brother is not co operating. Anyway thanks for your advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.