MJhawk

k1 switch to AOS???

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Sprailenes- you are full of them tonight "needy" "whining" you should keep your comments to yourself thank you

AS I mentioned in my post, we have all been there and done that. Sprailenes made some very valid points. It might be more useful for you to just say, 'thank you for your perspective' rather than suggest she not comment. This is a public information board and you did post your request publicly. You will get many responses back, some of which you definitely won't like. How you handle the responses you get will help determine how much support you receive. As I also suggested, you should take advantage of the wealth of experience available to you here on VJ from our many different members.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi MJHawk,

No problem..Glad to be able to help...:)

And I'm sure there are a lot of other vjers that are able to help you more too, as you go through the k1 process...

It will all be over before you know it...

In the meantime, enjoy the process....enjoy your extended vacation back to Canada....and enjoy getting things in order before you move to the USA forever...

Hmm...For example, maybe you can make a list of places and things to do when you go back to Canada for your visit...

Lol...You and your fiance interested in touring Montreal while you are there for your interview?

Maybe have a bon voyage party, or something like that with your family in Canada, for the fun of it...

And make plans for your wedding too....And include your Canadian family and friends in those plans while you are there....

And for the non-fun side of stuff, make time to sort out your stuff before you leave..

For example, what to do with your residence, employment/schooling, banking/financial, legal, belongings, notifying the appropriate Canadian government agencies, etc.

Gather all the paperwork and all the evidence that you need for your k1 and AOS cases too....

Lol..wish I had more time to do all that before I went through this immigration process here in the USA...Was more difficult getting all my Canadian affairs in order while here on a visitor then to aos route...Oh well....got that done anyways, be it that it was more stressful and had that risk of deportation here...

But yeah, with your k1..you definitely have more time to get your Canadian things in order, and especially more so too, that you have more time to plan your future together with your fiance/soon to be spouse...

So use the time in Canada wisely, while you are waiting for the k1 to be completed, as before you know it, you'll be in the USA, and thinking.."gosh, I miss (insert what you miss here) in Canada!..." (lol..I miss smarties chocolate candy, bagged milk, shreddies, my former pet cat, and being in a long distance relationship all over again....but that's another story..)

Good luck on your journey too.

Ant

Thank you Ant+D+A for all your advise.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Timeline

Trust me I've dealt with the long distance relationship thing myself and I know how hard it is. I cherish every second I get with him now.

In regards to the medical, looking at the wait time for Montreal I think I'll be in Canada for atlest 1-3 months after I leave here so I'll have plenty of time to get my medical done. The police certificate I got a few months ago for a part-time babysitting job and if it expires by the time of my interview then I'll go to the police station and get another copy with takes a couople of minutes.

Timeline

That police certificate will probably not qualify for immigration purposes. Employment security checks are not immigration security checks. I had a level 2 Federal RCMP Security check done for my employment a few months prior to filing the K-1 and it was not acceptable for immigration purposes because of the wording.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

I've been apart from my fiance for 6 years.

Try that before complaining about how hard it is.

The K-1 process really is a drop in the bucket time wise compared to alot of other things you may have to wait for, not to mention spending the rest of your life with your fiance.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Timeline

You should have time. The current processing time is in excess of 120 days (4 months). When I was working for the MP in Canada fingerprint checks were taking 18 to 22 months - they've certainly sped up substantially.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr-eng.htm

Timeline

The only thing I can add to what everyone else said is that Montreals timeline can be incredibly stupid. When I applied people were getting interviews withing 2-3 months and I was positive I would have my interview in time to be down there at the beginning of October for my hoped for wedding date. By the time my interview actually happens I will have waited 136 days, almost 5 months. Because of this I've decided to stay here for Christmas as well to say goodbye to my family and get the last of my things in order. By the time I see him again it will be just shy of a year since I saw him last for various factors. A lot of us have gone through the exact same thing as you and done it for awhile too, we all want to be with our fiance's terribly as well, but as some of the others have mentioned a couple months apart probably won't kill you.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Trust me I've dealt with the long distance relationship thing myself and I know how hard it is. I cherish every second I get with him now.

In regards to the medical, looking at the wait time for Montreal I think I'll be in Canada for atlest 1-3 months after I leave here so I'll have plenty of time to get my medical done. The police certificate I got a few months ago for a part-time babysitting job and if it expires by the time of my interview then I'll go to the police station and get another copy with takes a couople of minutes.

The Consulate asks for the Police Clearance to be recent (within 30 days of interview)....i'm sure they are flexible to some extent...but not by months...

You seem to have all the answers already...so the best of luck. I believe Sprailines take on it...is that your relationship is no different than the rest of us...that waited months apart to finally be together....everyone would love to find short cuts...but doing it the proper way takes patience...which have it or not...the time frame does not change....it's all in perspective....8-10 months can be really long if you don't have the right mind set....people here have a wealth of knowledge.....making friends on here works to your benefit...you'll find that there will be many times that you will rely on the expertise of the VJ community...especially the Canadian forum....if you post publicly, you will get answers you both like and don't like....it's a long road...no use in started to burn bridges now lol....

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

I think you will find that doing the K-1 route will benefit you in the long run. Although the process takes longer, I imagine it is much less less stressful overall then attempting to adjust from visitors status. I've heard some horror stories with individuals having to prove their intentions when crossing, and then there is struggling to find a civil surgeon that will administer you an immigration medical without charging a ridiculous amount. When I was calling local CS's in the area I actually encountered one doctor who charges $800 to have a certified medical. In Canada you won't be forced to spend over $300. Adjusting from a K-1 is actually quite straightforward.

I don't think anyone can tell you 100% that canceling your K-1 and filling AOS will or won't cause you a problem. To my knowledge there isn't anyone around here who has attempted it. Maybe contacting an immigration lawyer in your area would be beneficial. They may know something we don't!

Timeline

The Consulate asks for the Police Clearance to be recent (within 30 days of interview)....i'm sure they are flexible to some extent...but not by months...

You seem to have all the answers already...so the best of luck. I believe Sprailines take on it...is that your relationship is no different than the rest of us...that waited months apart to finally be together....everyone would love to find short cuts...but doing it the proper way takes patience...which have it or not...the time frame does not change....it's all in perspective....8-10 months can be really long if you don't have the right mind set....people here have a wealth of knowledge.....making friends on here works to your benefit...you'll find that there will be many times that you will rely on the expertise of the VJ community...especially the Canadian forum....if you post publicly, you will get answers you both like and don't like....it's a long road...no use in started to burn bridges now lol....

Does it really have to be within 30 days? I thought it only had to be within the year validity...

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Timeline

Yeah reading my P3 and P4 it just says police records issued within a year of the appointment. Now it still has to be a CPIC one, so a normal work auth one probably won't work, unless they did a CPIC scan.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

As others with experience can tell you, simply going the AOS route is not an easy way of going about things. Sure, being together would be a nice and wonderful thing, but the sacrifices you make in your ability to live and function in the country are great and time consuming. K1 will provide you with the method of going about getting into the country, marrying and filing AOS from there in a fairly straightforward manner.

The only reason I personally wouldn't recommend staying the whole six months is simply because, as stated, Montreal is completely out of whack. The ability to visit during the waiting period between approval dates is a very welcome thing. If I had stayed for six months straight then come home and faced a six month wait on Montreal... it indeed would've felt like the end of the world.

Everyone else here is undergoing the same process, most of us away from our spouses/fiances for some time. While you may not like what some of the users have to say in regards to your opinion of the process, realize that everyone here has indepth knowledge of the process and insight into areas that you may one day require help with (I know I certainly couldn't have gotten far without the help of everyone here).

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm curious about the visiting back and forth to Canada on the VWP with the K1, if a visitor spends 6 months all at once in the U.S. and then goes back to Canada to get paperwork and spend time with family for a week or a month or whatever, can she then come right on back to the U.S. for another extended stay?

It has nothing to do with me, my fiance is in Australia, but I'm just curious and was wondering if anyone has bumped up against this in the recent past.

S.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.