dxt7339

Marrying in SC???

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Has anyone gotten married to their forien fiance' in SC immediately upon arrival in USA? I have been told it is necessary to have a SSN or Ailen Registration card in order to apply for a marriage license. I was told at the SSN ofice that we must be married before she can apply for a SSN.

Seem very stupid to me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting wed on 18th August and got my SSN last week.

K1

September 15 - 2005: NOA1

October: Waiting

November: Waiting

December: In Security checks

January 2006: Waiting

February: Waiting..Contacted Congress

March 4th: APPROVED

March 17th: NVC posted file to London

March 20th: London Receives file

March 29th: Receive package 3

April 13th: London Receives package

April 19th: Medical - June 13th: INTERVIEW......APPROVED!!!!

June 20th: ARRIVE IN USA

Time taken for whole process 9 Months

~~~~~ * ~~~~~

AOS

October: 13th: Sent off AOS Package

November 3rd: NOA1

November 14th: Snail mail ~ NOA1 ~ Case moved to the CSC for faster processing.

November 14th : CSC has petition for me and my daughter.

December 14th: Biometrics completed.

January 17th: APPROVED AOS!

January 22nd: Green card arrives in the mail:))

Time taken for AOS - 3.5 Months

Finished for 2 years.

dev015pb___.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I dont know about SC marriage requirements, however you can get the SSN prior to marriage. Contact them again and talk to someone else.

June 05 Lisa and I fall in love

15 Mar 06 I-129F received at CSC NOA1

5 Aug 06 NOA2 after 143 days in CSC purgatory

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

16 Feb 07 Denial Letter received

12 Mar 07 Motion to reconsider submitted

10 Sep 07 Motion to Reconsider denied

9 May 08 Lisa and Married in United Kingdom

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

May 7 09 Lisa's Interview I 601 filed

29 Jul 09 I-601 waiver approved

18 Aug 09 Passport to London Embassy

20 Aug 09 Tickets purchased for 10 Sep 09

WE HAVE FINALLY WON, OUR LONG AND HARD JOURNEY IS COMPLETE!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I suggest calling your local marriage license buereau and finding out what they would need. I just called mine and they said that all he would need was his passport. Fortunately he does have a SSN but they made no mention of that even when I said he was a foreigner.

When I called the county clerk in MI and explained the situation, they told me that all I needed from David was his age, passport, parents' names, birth mother's maiden name, and proof of divorce.

In additional to providing the same for myself, they need my SSN & address.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
I suggest calling your local marriage license buereau and finding out what they would need. I just called mine and they said that all he would need was his passport. Fortunately he does have a SSN but they made no mention of that even when I said he was a foreigner.

I got my information from the Clerk of Court (York County) and I could not believe it, so she gave me the Probate Judge and he confirmed that you could not get married in Youk Co. without an SSN or Alien Registration. Of course the Alien registration can only be obtained after we are married. Not sure yet about the SSN.

Timeline

I dont mean to be rude or cause problems. But he lives in SC. Laws are different in every state. What Ohio or Michigan require has nothing to do with what SC requires.

The answer is his fiancee can get a SSN prior to marriage.

He needs to call the county clerk in the county he lives in and ask to see the law that dictates what his Fiancee needs.

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

I dont mean to be rude or cause problems. But he lives in SC. Laws are different in every state. What Ohio or Michigan require has nothing to do with what SC requires.

He needs to call the county clerk in the county he lives in and ask to see the law that dictates what his Fiancee needs.

Yes, of course he does. I just offered MI requirements for the sake of comparison.

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Timeline

Yes, of course he does. I just offered MI requirements for the sake of comparison.

Okay, I am sorry if I seemed short, but have read so many answers from other people that only confuse the issue and dont give the person wanting help any real guidance. (I dont include you in this group, but was just making observation)

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

Okay, I am sorry if I seemed short, but have read so many answers from other people that only confuse the issue and dont give the person wanting help any real guidance. (I dont include you in this group, but was just making observation)

I know what you mean... no offense taken :)

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

From SC Law...

SECTION 20-1-220. Written application required twenty-four hours prior to issuance of license.

No marriage license may be issued unless a written application has been filed with the probate judge, or in Darlington and Georgetown counties the clerk of court who issues the license, at least twenty-four hours before the issuance of the license. The application must be signed by both of the contracting parties and shall contain the same information as required for the issuing of the license including the social security numbers, or the alien identification numbers assigned to resident aliens who do not have social security numbers, of the contracting parties. The license issued, in addition to other things required, must show the hour and date of the filing of the application and the hour and date of the issuance of the license. The application must be kept by the probate judge or clerk of court as a permanent record in his office. A probate judge or clerk of court issuing a license contrary to the provisions, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one hundred dollars or not less than twenty-five dollars, or imprisoned for not more than thirty days or not less than ten days.

The law states from a Resident Alien.. if he is not a resident alien (which a K-1 is not)... then it does not apply...

Perhaps you should explain it to the judge again and tell him exactly what a K-1 is and that he is NOT a resident alien...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

Now there is an answer!!!!!

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

Timeline
From SC Law...

SECTION 20-1-220. Written application required twenty-four hours prior to issuance of license.

No marriage license may be issued unless a written application has been filed with the probate judge, or in Darlington and Georgetown counties the clerk of court who issues the license, at least twenty-four hours before the issuance of the license. The application must be signed by both of the contracting parties and shall contain the same information as required for the issuing of the license including the social security numbers, or the alien identification numbers assigned to resident aliens who do not have social security numbers, of the contracting parties. The license issued, in addition to other things required, must show the hour and date of the filing of the application and the hour and date of the issuance of the license. The application must be kept by the probate judge or clerk of court as a permanent record in his office. A probate judge or clerk of court issuing a license contrary to the provisions, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one hundred dollars or not less than twenty-five dollars, or imprisoned for not more than thirty days or not less than ten days.

The law states from a Resident Alien.. if he is not a resident alien (which a K-1 is not)... then it does not apply...

Perhaps you should explain it to the judge again and tell him exactly what a K-1 is and that he is NOT a resident alien...

Interesting point, but I am afraid that the Judge would only respond that a SSN would be required. He has stated that without one of the requirements met, then you can not get married in York County.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

From SC Law...

Interesting point, but I am afraid that the Judge would only respond that a SSN would be required. He has stated that without one of the requirements met, then you can not get married in York County.

Then show him the law and have him explain it you you where it states that... if he continues to give you #######, get married somewhere else...

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

That or get a SSN. Go to the SSN home page and read up on the law. She is eligible for an SSN.

Here is the link to tell you how to do it and to show to the local SS office that she is eligible for SSN

SSN rules

20 Oct 06 Interview Date

23 May 08 I-130 filed

Oct 08 NOA-2 received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.