Bralaheh

Womens Shelter

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all. My name is Brad and my fiance lives in Toronto. We have just started this process and her family is being very mentally and physically abusive and I am in the process of trying to find her a place to live. She has never had a job and just recently moved to Canada so she isn't very familiar with the area. I am saving up money to help her get an apartment but until then I'm trying to find out information about shelters or anything else she can use if something bad happens. She has no one in Canada but her family and they are the ones putting her health at risk. Please if you can help it would be greatly appreciated

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can have her call the YMCA or the a battered woman's help line:

1.866.863.0511 - battered woman's help line

They will be able to locate a shelter for her if she is need of one.

She doesn't need to talk about her situation too much she can just ask about shelters. Shelters have a lot of rules, curfews, expectations of their residents to be finding their own homes etc.

If you're looking to visit her while she is in the shelter, you will most likely not be able to visit her while she stays there as they have strict confidentiality issues for obvious reasons. So if you visit Toronto, you'll have a time frame to see her while she's in the shelter, you will not be able to go to the actual place where she lives, and she'll probably have to be back before 8:00 or so.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Also she can call the salvation army... she can find the local one in her area by googling it.

I will tell you that living in a shelter isn't going to be a cakewalk. It's going to be hard, let her know that it will be best not to get too involved with other residents either.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Here are two listed through Google. They YMCA also appears to have some sort of emergency arrangements. Your fiancee can also look in the yellow pages of the telephone book for 'shelters', 'women's shelters' and things like that. Most will have an emergency contact number she can call.

She may also want to try contacting the Toronto's Social Services Department - they may have a list of shelters available within the city and its surrounding communities. Where in the Toronto area is she? Toronto is a big city and there may be ways to find shelters directly in her area or close to where she currently lives.

North York Women's Shelter http://www.nyws.ca/index.php

Nellie's Shelter Program http://www.nellies.org/index.cfm?linkId=3&...themainlinkid=3

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Brad & Ellie,

Sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope that your fiance finds the help that she needs for a shelter in Toronto. I totally understand her situation, as I remember at one point in my life, I found myself homeless in Toronto too (but that's another story). Anyways, I did a quick search for you online, and this is what I found, that might be able to help:

-211 Toronto Canada: http://www.211toronto.ca/index.jsp (or just dial 211 for free on the telephone/payphone in Canada)

Complete List of Homeless Sheleters and Hostels in Toronto and Toronto Area:

http://www.211toronto.ca/Gatekeeper?WebApp...;logSearch=true

- Street Helpline: Get help for yourself or someone in need on the streets. Call Street helpline 1-866-392-3777. Free from any payphone.

- Findhelp Canada: http://www.findhelp.ca/en/index.php

Hope this helps you and your fiance. And I hope they are able to find housing and other help as soon as possible too. Nobody deserves to go through a situation like this, and it's good that you are able to be supportive in all ways when she is going through such.

Good luck with you and your fiance. Wishing both of you all the best....:)

Ant

Hello all. My name is Brad and my fiance lives in Toronto. We have just started this process and her family is being very mentally and physically abusive and I am in the process of trying to find her a place to live. She has never had a job and just recently moved to Canada so she isn't very familiar with the area. I am saving up money to help her get an apartment but until then I'm trying to find out information about shelters or anything else she can use if something bad happens. She has no one in Canada but her family and they are the ones putting her health at risk. Please if you can help it would be greatly appreciated
Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.