john&louella

AOS Forms: shall i use my husband's last name?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi guys, ok i started filling the forms that i will be filing for AOS, now i got a lot of confusions.

I already have my SSN and i have not change my name to my married name, i thought of changing it once everything is done and approved with AOS things.

How am i going to fill in my names, shall i go ahead and use my husband's last name?

In Philippines i have my first (two names) (middle name/mother's maiden name) (last name)

now how am i going to fill my first name here on the forms? shall i do it the way i did in the Phils.

or shall i do it the american way? :bonk:

one more, what is A# / Alien#? where can i find it?

where can i found my non-immigrant number?

:help:

do we need to file the AOS before the 90 days of my K1 visa expire? or will it be a big deal or will put us in trouble if we wait a lil bit longer?

Please help me!

thank you in advance for all of the infos.

misisB

We did our the American Way.................

Do it, Do it Well.................

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Hi guys, ok i started filling the forms that i will be filing for AOS, now i got a lot of confusions.

I already have my SSN and i have not change my name to my married name, i thought of changing it once everything is done and approved with AOS things.

How am i going to fill in my names, shall i go ahead and use my husband's last name?

Yes. You have your marriage certificate already, right?

In Philippines i have my first (two names) (middle name/mother's maiden name) (last name)

now how am i going to fill my first name here on the forms? shall i do it the way i did in the Phils.

It should be entered with your second name as your middle name, not your mother's maiden name. For example:

John Jacob Jones Smith (with Jones as mother's maiden name) is entered as:

First Name: John

Middle Name: Jacob

Last Name: Smith

It's the number above your name on the I-129F NOA2.

do we need to file the AOS before the 90 days of my K1 visa expire? or will it be a big deal or will put us in trouble if we wait a lil bit longer?

Yes, it must be filed before your K1 visa expires.

Please help me!

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Providing you are married within the 90 days which it appears you are then filing your AOS after the 90 days is really no big deal. I would however file it sooner than later.

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

Some PI forum members encountered problems when they changed names the Philippine way so they had to do it the American way. No problems though if you do it either way.

As for me and my son, we did it the Philippine way. Our SSS, driver's license and green card have our two first names, mother's middle name and last name. But I had to be really assertive in insisting that I want it done the Philippine way.

Edited by Pinay Wife

first, you have to decide if you want it done the Filipino way or the American way and then be consistent with it in all the forms you are going to fill up.

i did it the Filipino way and has had no problem so far. my SS card, EAD and AP all have my three given names as my first name, my maiden surname as my middle name and my husband's surname as my last name. i haven't tried for a driver's license yet but i think i wouldn't have a problem since all my other id cards are consistent. i don't have my green card yet but the way it is going, i think (and hope) that i won't have name conflicts either.

as for our future kids, we decided we're gonna follow the American format of a=naming them to avoid confusion. :innocent::innocent:

"... for our Love conquered both Time and Distance."

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Please help me!

First, you can try to change your name in your SSN into your married name. If they will not allow you after your wedding, then just wait for your EAD card to have it change. They allow change of name in Filipino way. Like, Your surname would be your husband's surname and your middle name is your surname when you were still single. That's what I did when I file my AOS, and I don't have problem. That's what I also did when I applied for my state id.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

For your unanswered question on the A number, it can be found had written on your I-94, on your Noa2, and on your visa. The number begins with an A of course.

According to the USCIS you are to file the AOS within 90 days. You will be out of status if you do not file within the 90 days. Most K visa holders do not have a problem when out of status unless they encounter ICE. Most late filers are pardoned by the USCIS and have no problems adjusting status.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

This link will show you where the non-immigrant visa number is located: http://www.visajourney.com/gallery/display...um=19&pos=2

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Oh.... :devil:

Just do it the Spanish way.... :whistle:

Maria Teresa García Marta Ramírez GONZALES ESPERANDA SUCCINTA Martínez Escudero Villanueva Cortés

:blink:

¡Ay, dios mío! Qué nombre tan largo. :star:

aka Señorita Tessa, Señora Bonita, Mariquita Linda, Muñequita Linda, Amor Perdido y Chaparrita Chula!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.