dutchmatt

Getting a US driver's license

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wanted to inform people that Canadians DO NOT have to take a driving test when applying for an Illinois Driver's license. Canadians are seen as "out of state" drivers, so just a written and vision test is required. I know this varies state to state, but good info either way.

=================

K1 Section

=================

Sent I-129F - 03/25/2009

Visa in Hand -11/23/2009

US Entry - 11/26/2009

Wedding - 12/26/2009

=================

AOS Section

=================

AOS, EAD, AP Forms Sent - 01/06/2010

Biometrics - 02/11/2010

EAD/AP Approved - 02/23/2010

--------------------------------

Ceremonial Wedding - 06/17/2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nice - also future ref for people moving to nebraska

- they do not require a driving test either, all they do is give you an electronic test of 25 questions and you have to get 20 of them right to pass. then you get your license. ( unless you never had one before then you do have to do the full testing )

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

I wish California was like that...I'm already restudying to pass the whole stupid test over again :(

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Thanks for the info dutchmatt. Each state is different. At one time another poster and I were trying to put together something that had all the ID requirements as well as testing etc. that has to be done in each state. What a chore that was. Unfortunately DMV is even more screwy that USCIS and some states it seems it depends on which city you live in as far as the rules go! It was a task that soon fell by the wayside. Better to just ask here if you want to know I think what state requires what, and what testing if any you have to do. But thanks for the Illinois update!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

In GA I had to take the written and the driving test again. I wish it was like IL

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Ok...I'm asking about Oklahoma (even though it'll be months from now). Anybody know?

I haven't gone for my Oklahoma license yet, but I've been told by the DMV that re-testing will not be required, and I'll just have to hand in my Ontario license. If you want, I can let you know how that experience goes when I get around to doing it. Perhaps I'll give it a shot later today.

I have my car registered here in Oklahoma already, and that was pretty easy. Well, they didn't really know what to do with the customs papers, and at first they didn't believe that my Ontario registration is the same as a title of ownership, but they eventually figured something out. I got my new license plate (a.k.a. "tag") on the spot, and I received my new Oklahoma title in the mail a few days later. One thing to note if you are importing a vehicle, you have to have insurance in Oklahoma before you are allowed to register it here. But that was pretty simple, too.

02/13/09 -

:)

02/19/09 - I-130 mailed out

02/27/09 - NOA1

03/19/09 - NOA2

05/07/09 - NVC CASE COMPLETE!

06/23/09 - Received interview appointment letter via email! Yay!

08/19/09 -Interview! SUCCESS!! (Wanna read a ridiculously long interview review? Click the link!)

08/21/09 - Visa received!

09/11/09 - POE (Alexandria Bay, NY)

09/28/09 - Received Permanent Resident card

06/28/11 - Sent 1-751 to VSC

07/29/11 - Biometrics appointment (OKC)

01/20/12 - I-751 approved!

Haha Just to add some LOLs to this thread, a few days after my wife moved to the States, I was driving her to process her driver's license at the Secretary of State and I ended up getting into an accident :whistle:

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know Colorado is just a quick switch once you have your SSN they take a photo and mail you your new licence. Canadian licence is totally transferable.

But of course I can't do that yet as my interview is monday and it is the K3 as MTL is running 3 months later for us.....boo!

Brandi

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

Timeline
I know Colorado is just a quick switch once you have your SSN they take a photo and mail you your new licence. Canadian licence is totally transferable.

But of course I can't do that yet as my interview is monday and it is the K3 as MTL is running 3 months later for us.....boo!

Brandi

Thanks Brandi! :D I'm still waiting for my SSN in my married name to show up in the mail then i'll be making a trip down to the DMV.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How about Indiana, anyone ? ...

The Lord is my strength and my shield,

My heart trusted in Him and I am helped,

therefore my heart greatly rejoices,

and with my song I will praise Him.

Psalm 28:7

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I too am a Canadian and have my US (New York State) driver's license.

And this is how I got the following:

-Before I got my 2yr Green Card, I just drove with my Canadian Driver's License, as it was still valid and I wasn't legally a US Resident yet until after I got my US green card. But after I got my green card.....

-2006-11: Got my 2yr US Green Card (based on AOS from Visitor's Visa)

-2007-01: SSN Card Received (delayed due to immigration status verification)

-2007-01: Then I got an application from the DMV for my NYS driver's license, and got my NYS license afterwards.

-Went to the DMV with the following identification and residency proof: SSN Card, US 2yr Green Card/I-551, US Marriage Certificate, Utility Bill

-As well, I went with my Canadian (Ontario, G2 Level) Driver's license, as I was going to "directly transfer" my Canadian Driver's license for a US one, with no further testing required for people who have Canadian driver's licenses. I didn't have to do the written or the road tests, and only did an easy eye test, which I passed. They did though take my Canadian driver's license away, since I was exchanging it for a US one (lol..I don't need two driver's licenses anyways, especially a former Canadian one that was in my maiden last name).

And 10 minutes later....-I got my NYS temporary paper license

-I got the actual NYS Driver's license card (D Class with no restrictions, in my married last name) in the mail 1-2 weeks afterwards...

-My NYS driver's license is valid for 5 years....(lol..longer than my 2yr green card...go figure...)

-Overall, I found the NYS DMV to be quite nice and helpful....The best government agency here in the USA, in my opinion!....

Other useful links for you in obtaining a NYS driver's license:

-Application for NYS driver's licence that you can fill out, print, and bring to you when you go to the DMV:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv44.pdf

-Proof of Identification and NYS residency that you can print out here and bring to you when you go to the DMV:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44.pdf

As well, after I get US Citizenship (hopefully by the end of 2009), I will also apply for an " NYS Enhanced Driver's License", which is good for travel as identification (in lieu of a passport) for US Citizens for land trips across the border to Canada.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your immigration and DMV journeys too.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Anyone know about PA?

Also, we should totally make this a Wiki article. I can compile it if we get all the states.

I'd just like to say that your timeline makes me want to cry. :crying:

I-129F / K-1 / AOS:

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview in Montreal - VISA GRANTED!

2009-11-21: POE - Moved to be with my fiancee :)

2010-01-23: Married!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

2010-04-30: Received Green Card

ROC:

2012-03-12: Sent I-751 package to VSC

2012-03-13: I-751 package arrived at VSC (Hi D. Renaud!)

2012-03-14: NOA1

2012-03-15: I-751 check cashed

2012-03-19: Received NOA1

2012-03-27: Received biometrics appt. notice for 2012-04-19 in Buffalo

2012-04-09: Successful early walk-in biometrics at Cleveland ASC

2012-12-04: I-751 APPROVED / 10 YR GC PRODUCTION ORDERED!

Naturalization:

2015-11-30: Here we go again: Filling out the N-400

2015-12-21: Sent N-400 to Phoenix AZ Lockbox

2015-12-23: NOA Date

2016-01-20: Biometrics in Cleveland

2016-01-25: In-line for interview

2016-01-25: Interview scheduled!

2016-01-29: Received interview letter! Scheduled for...

2016-02-29: Interview in Cleveland - APPROVED!

2016-03-18: Naturalization ceremony in Cleveland! I am a US Citizen!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

If anyone else is interested, here is the official information form the New York State DMV, regarding transfers from Canadian Driver's Licenses:

Drivers From the US or Canada Who Move to NYS

NYS recognizes valid driver licenses held by residents of other US states, US territories and Federal districts and Canadian provinces. If you become a resident of NYS, you must apply for a NYS driver license not more than 30 days after you become a NYS resident.

You can exchange an out-of-state driver license or Canadian driver license for a NYS driver license if the driver license has your photograph, the driver license is not suspended or revoked and the driver license:

has been valid for at least 6 months, or

has expired in the past 12 months, or

is a valid CDL and has been valid for any amount of time, and

The driver license that you exchange must show the date that your driver license was issued. The date is required to verify that the driver license was issued at least six months before you applied for a NYS driver license. If your out-of-state photo driver license does not show the date of issue, get a driver license record or letter from the state that issued the driver license that indicates the date of issue. The letter or driver record must be an original and must be on the letterhead of the Department of Motor Vehicles of the other state. The letter or driver abstract cannot be a copy or a fax.

If your out-of-state driver license or Canadian driver license is suspended or revoked, you cannot apply for a NYS driver license. You must remove the suspension or revocation and bring to a NYS DMV office a valid driver license that meets the requirements listed above.

If you have only a driver license like those listed below, you must apply for a NYS driver license as a new driver. See "New Drivers-How to Apply".

You cannot exchange the following types of driver licenses for a NYS driver license:

a driver license with no photo

a driver license that does not show the date that the driver license was issued. Read the information about the requirement that your driver license show the date of issue.

a learner permit

a temporary driver license or an interim driver license

a hardship driver license or an "employment only driver license"

a driver license expired for more than 12 months

a non-commercial driver license valid for less than 6 months.

a driver license marked "non-renewable" or "non-transferable"

To exchange an acceptable out-of-state photo driver license for a NYS driver license:

Complete application form MV-44 and apply at a local DMV office.

Pass a vision test at the DMV office, or bring a valid form MV-619 (Eye Test Report) completed by an eye-care professional. If the form MV-619 has a print date of 9/03 or earlier, the form is valid for 6 months after the date of the eye test. If the form has a print date of 3/04 or later, the eye-care professional marks a box on the form to indicate if the form is valid for 6 months or for 12 months after the date of the eye test.

Surrender your out-of-state driver license. See the information below if your out-of-state driver license is lost or stolen.

Provide at least two points of identification and proof of date of birth, and your out-of-state photo driver license and your Social Security Card.

Show your Social Security Card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter from the US Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible. The SSA Letter must have been issued within the last 30 days. You must also show an I-94 with one of the following codes: B-1, B-2, E-2, F-2, H4, L-2, M-2, O-3, P-4, Q-3, R-2 or TD. At least 11 months of valid, legal status must remain on your I-94.

Pay the $10 application fee and the driver license fee with cash, check, money order or credit card.

If Your Out-of-State Driver License is Lost or Stolen. If your out-of-state photo driver license is lost or stolen, you can apply to the previous state for a duplicate photo driver license. The duplicate driver license must be a photo driver license. The driver license or a letter from the state DMV must show that your out-of-state driver license was valid for at least 6 months.

Instead of a duplicate driver license, you can apply to the previous state for a letter or driver abstract. The letter or driver abstract must be an original and must be on the letterhead of the Department of Motor Vehicles of the other state. The letter or driver abstract must have been issued by the other state within six months before you submit the letter or driver abstract to the NYSDMV. The letter or driver abstract cannot be a copy or a fax. The letter or driver abstract must contain all of the following information:

your name, address, date of birth and driver license identification number,

type or class of driver license and any restrictions.

any convictions, suspensions or revocations, and

the date your driver license was issued, and the expiration date of your latest driver license.

Bring the letter, driver abstract or duplicate photo driver license to a DMV office to apply for your NYS driver license. Remember that you must have six points of identification and proof of date of birth. A letter or driver abstract has no value as proof of identity or date of birth.

NYS Vehicle Registration: See "register your out-of-state vehicle" to learn how to get a NYS registration and title certificate for your vehicles.

Drivers from Canada.

A valid driver license from another country is also valid in NYS. You do not need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a resident of NYS.

According to NYS law, a resident of another country can get a NYS driver license. The DMV does not recommend this because:

NYS recognizes your foreign driver license if you remain a resident of the nation that issued the license. You do not need to have a NYS driver license to drive in NYS unless you become a resident of NYS.

If you have a driver license from any nation except Canada, you must pass a written test, complete a 5-hour pre-licensing course and pass a road test to qualify for a NYS driver license. See "New Drivers - How to Apply".

You must show a Social Security Card. If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter or form SSA-L676 from the US Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible. The SSA Letter or form must have been issued no more than 30 days before the date of your application. You must also show the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documents that the SSA used to determine that you are not eligible for a Social Security Card. The USCIS was formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Read the specific requirements on the identification requirements page.

When you receive your NYS driver license, you must surrender your foreign driver license to the DMV road test examiner. The local DMV office keeps your foreign driver license, and then destroys the license after 60 days. If you plan to return to your home country and use your foreign driver license, ask the road test examiner how to make sure that your foreign driver license is not destroyed. If you need to get your foreign driver license, go to the local DMV office where you applied for your NYS driver license.

Source: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your immigration and DMV journeys.

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.