100% Al Ahly Fan

Foreign State of Chargeability

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We finally got our appointment letter in the mail, although I was really weirded out when I read that the foreign state of chargeability would be Libya. My husband was born there, although he is NOT a citizen of this country.

First of all what exactly does this "foreign state of chargeability" mean?

For immigration purposes, why wouldnt they use he country he's a citizen of?

Thanks in advance everyone :yes:

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

We finally got our appointment letter in the mail, although I was really weirded out when I read that the foreign state of chargeability would be Libya. My husband was born there, although he is NOT a citizen of this country.

First of all what exactly does this "foreign state of chargeability" mean?

For immigration purposes, why wouldnt they use he country he's a citizen of?

Thanks in advance everyone :yes:

Here you go Shar!! Hugs!!

“Chargeability” refers to the rules which are used to determine under which country you will be counted for green card purposes.There are certain categories under which you can obtain a “green card” (i.e., U.S. Permanent Residency) which do not have any limit on the number of green cards that are issued each year. For example, “immediate relatives” of U.S. Citizens (i.e., spouses of U.S. citizens, parents of U.S. citizens, and unmarried children under 21 years of age) are not subject to numerical quotas.

However, most categories under which you can obtain a “green card” are only allocated a limited number of immigrant visas (“green cards”) each year, and there are country limits imposed as well (in order to prevent having all of the year’s green cards going to a few countries). For these types of categories, it is often important to determine under which country you will be counted because it could make a big difference in terms of how long you will have to wait for a green card. Normally, you are counted under the country in which you were born, subject to certain exceptions. The State Department explains these rules in general as follows:

Ordinarily an immigrant is chargeable for visa purposes to the numerical limitation for the foreign state or dependent area in which the immigrant's place of birth is located. Exceptions are provided for a child (unmarried and under 21 years of age) or spouse accompanying or following to join a principal to prevent the separation of family members, as well as for an applicant born in the U.S. or in a foreign state of which neither parent was a native or resident. Alternate chargeability is desirable when the visa cut-off date for the foreign state of a parent or spouse is more advantageous than that of the applicant's foreign state.

See Visa Bulletin for JULY 2000. Attached hereto is a PDF file of a State Department document which details the rules of chargeability.

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Contratulation!! :thumbs::dance:

06/29/2006-Met online(skype), start talking every day(5-6 hours a day)

07/01/2006 became bf & gf.

12/29/2006-flew to Egypt, met for the first time(happy time

01/06/2007-got married

01/15/2007- Flew back to Chicago(sad)

02/?/2007- hubby applied for Egyptian military

06/04/2007-2nd trip to see my love

06/07/2007-our honey moon in Sharm(7 amazing days)

06/19/2007-supposed to go back to USA, but called sick at work and got 12 more extra days.

08/?/2007- my honey went to serve for 2 years & 2 months(very-very sad)

01/30/2008-3rd trip to Egypt

02/20/2008-flew back

12/03/2008-4th trip to see my love

12/20/2008-found out than i'm pregnant(surprised and happy)

01/09/2009-left Egypt

02/10/2009-sent CR-1/IR-1

02/11/2009-reseived at Chicago

02/17/2009-moved to California Service Center

02/17/2009-check cashed

02/19/2009-NOA1 resived my mail

02/19/2009-touched

03/04/2009-touched

03/19/2009-approved

03/24/2009-received approval letter

04/27/2009-paid fee $70.00 on line

10/19/2009-paid IV bill

10/20/2009-shows IV paid

10/23/2009-I-864 sent

10/26/2009 @11:25AM NVC received I-864

10/31/2009-hubby finally finished his military

now waiting for his DS-230, sent it to me 01/09/2010

01/28/2010-finally sent DS-230 today @ 2:55 pm

02/01/2010-delivered @ 11:33am

02/11/2010-email from NVC,need to send original marriage certificate(arabic) and original military records

03/18/2010-case completed

03/23/2010-case sent to Cairo

03/25/2010-reseived by AE

05/09/2010-interview @ 9am(approved)

05/10/2010-visa stamped, 05/17/2010-visa in a hand, 06/04/2010-flying to Chicago

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Congrats to you Sharifah, still confused with the question so will the interview be in Egypt or whats up with the place of birth is that going to make problems for you I sure hope not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Congrats to you Sharifah, still confused with the question so will the interview be in Egypt or whats up with the place of birth is that going to make problems for you I sure hope not.

Thanks everyone. No Sandra, the interview is still in Cairo, but I didn't understand why the country of chargeability was Libya. Anyhow, we have our date, alhamdullilah. That's all that matters.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.