MJhawk

Proof of ongoing relationship

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I the Canadian citizen is in the United States with my fiance for the next 6 months. I received my NOA1 yesterday. I was wondering when I have to attend my interview in Montreal how do I give proof of an ongoing relationship? we obviously don't e-mail or sned eachother gifts as we live together?

I do have a bank account here and he added me onto his phone plan. I'll have plenty of dated photos. Does anyone have anymore suggestings what I should bring? Thank You

I the Canadian citizen is in the United States with my fiance for the next 6 months. I received my NOA1 yesterday. I was wondering when I have to attend my interview in Montreal how do I give proof of an ongoing relationship? we obviously don't e-mail or sned eachother gifts as we live together?

I do have a bank account here and he added me onto his phone plan. I'll have plenty of dated photos. Does anyone have anymore suggestings what I should bring? Thank You

I'd be careful with showing your US bank account info, and your phone plan. Those indicate that you have spent a lengthy amount of time in the US and are essentially living there (which, so long as you don't go over the 6 months, is ok), but might draw negative attention to it. If you have maybe some train tickets, or travel tickets, or hotel receipts, that sort of thing. Showing you've gone places together. Do you ever send ANY emails or phone calls to each other while he's at work or anything? If not you could start, just for the sake of having something to track. lol

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dated photos can have the dates altered really easy so the dates dont matter. You need things like POE stamps in your passport, ticket stubs, Itinerary sheets, Photos, Emails, Affidavits from friends or family, Phone bills with the numbers highlighted and call times etc.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Whe we had our interview in Vancouver, they just asked to see photos, and it seemed to be pretty much pro forma. Most people have had a similar experience---showed up with binders full of plane tickets and emails and were never asked for it. That said, it is better to have too much than too little. If you have taken any trips together, boarding passes are good. The pictures you have are good, too. If you have ANY emails or cards you've sent each other, those can be used.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: Timeline

I am staying here with him for 6 months, so I won't have any boarding passes because I drove here at the end of Sept and I won't be leaving for 6 months. He added me on his phone plan so I don't have a phone from Canada. We don't send eachother cards because we live in the same house.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I do not wish to be overly harsh, I'm just going to say the following off the very little information you provided.

6 months is, I believe, the most you can stay in the US in a 12 month period without some type of alternate (in this case you're trying for K-1) visa. With the current time periods (at least if you're on the east coast) you're looking at a 10-12 month K-1 process...

As best I understand it, you are going to have some difficulties legally fulfilling the requirements of the K-1 visa and living with your future spouse. Not saying you can't do it, but I don't know how you could without staying longer than you're permitted or falsifying documents.

You may want to take a look at the other types of immigration, specifically the AoS approach.

If I am wrong (and I hope I am), someone smarter than I please correct me. :)

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I am applying for a K1 visa and I'm authorized to stay with him for 6 months, after 6 months I'll be returning home to wait for the interview and medical. I was just wondering how we can give proof of an ongoing relationship since I'm staying with him for this extended visit.

My apologies if I came across harsh. I'm much more comfortable helping you now that I know more information. I wish my finacee could stay 6 months strait!

Defiantly include at least the 5 pictures of you together - since that one is easy for you two. One thing that I did (no idea if they noticed or not) is made sure that it was fairly apparent that the pictures were at different locations.

I included other things such as pictures of both of us at a location with photocopies of timestamped tickets (like... a local zoo).

Cards or letters or emails if you have them from before you moved, are great as well.

You said you didn't have any plane/ferry tickets... do you have any reciepts from hotels? They take those as well.

I will think about it some more and post later this evening. :)

Edited by Varba

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

So do you think a bunch of dated photos, engagement cards received by relatives and friends, e-mails will be enough

No, I personally don't think that will be enough. The other responses her include some good suggestions. After you return to Canada, you'll probably be able to accumulate some of the other things like phone bills and cards/postage, boarding passes, etc. Good luck, and congrats on being able to stay with your fiance for 6 months. I too wish I could!

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

As Ashenflowers mentioned, while it probably isn't a good idea at this point to show proof of 'residence' in the U.S. - the fact that you ARE living together should give you a multitude of opportunities to provide proof.

Do you two go places together? To any place that requires you to buy two tickets? A concert, the zoo, a movie etc etc. Ever go for a weekend away and have a hotel receipt?

Do you have a plane ticket to the U.S. for this trip? That and proof that you returned (return ticket) is also good proof - ie: you lived together for 6 months. No need to provide the bills etc, but a 6 month visit certainly applies to proof of ongoing relationship.

Plus you will have the stuff from when you return - proof of phone calls etc. You should have no problem.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I have alot of movie stubs but it doesn't show our names on it, also hotel receipts don't they need to see both of our names on it?

What I was told was to have the tickets, but also have pics FROM the place with the tickets. For example, we went to a concert recently. While we were there, we made sure to get the name of the band in the background with our faces in front. That way, we have the tickets PLUS the phots to balance each out.

Good luck!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.