frenzyheart

Canada POE... HELP!

13 posts in this topic

Okay, so my fiance has decided to visit me, and we're trying to think of as many things as possible to help him prove he's going to return. Granted, he's only staying a weekend, but I still figure it's better to give them as much as possible rather than just chancing it. The problem with this? He's currently living with his parents who pretty much take care of everything for him. As much as I adore him and his parents, this is making things very difficult. I keep reading about USC's SOs being detained and all that... and to be honest, it scares me. We'd never dream of lying to them, so he knows to tell them about the visa application if he's asked, but I can't help but be afraid that they're going to deny him and/or ban him.

So far, the only two things we have, and can think of, are his return flight information (he's buying a round trip ticket) and a letter from his employer stating that he has to be back at work on Monday. Now, we've never had any issues with him entering the US for weekend visits while he was driving or flying, but since the application is in the system... well, you know.

So what do you do when you have no rental agreement, no bills to show, etc? How are we supposed to prove he'll be going home? :wacko:

- Tiffanney & Matthew -

K1 VISA: 09/11/09 - 08/10/10

MARRIED: 10/10/10
AOS/EAD/AP: 02/22/11 - 05/04/11

ROC
04/04/13: Mailed off!

04/09/13: NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think you have the best information you can have: a return ticket, a letter from his employer, and a I-129F NOA1. If the question of moving comes up, he will be able to prove he understands the immigration system and he is following proper procedures to move to the US legally. A letter from his employer will show intent to return, as will a plane ticket. I think you are in good shape! With that said, the danger of being denied entry is always there. Its up to the discretion of the officer at the POE (unfortunately).

I think you are worrying way too much. Thousands of people cross the border to visit boyfriend/girlfriend/spouses. Being in the process of the visa application for the US is a pretty good indication what your intentions are.... for you to live in the US with your boyfriend... not for him to be trying to enter into Canada to live illegally. Return ticket is also a good indication he's returning and the letter from his employer is great too.

You are far more prepared than 95% of visitors. One more thing.... one thing Canada officers may ask is if he has suitable funds to support his stay in Canada. That can be cash on hand, credit cards or access to money in a bank account.

Don't stress.... it doesn't have to be complicated.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Agree with neiks, I think reading too much about this stuff on VJ is creating a border crossing hysteria.

Think worse case scenario. He shows up and they deny him entry. He will not go to prison, he will not have his citizenship stripped from him, his name will not be posted in the newspaper as a bad border crosser.

He will get sent home.

Now, I don't think that's going to happen, you sound well prepared, just have to get a little perspective :)

I think you have the best information you can have: a return ticket, a letter from his employer, and a I-129F NOA1. If the question of moving comes up, he will be able to prove he understands the immigration system and he is following proper procedures to move to the US legally. A letter from his employer will show intent to return, as will a plane ticket. I think you are in good shape! With that said, the danger of being denied entry is always there. Its up to the discretion of the officer at the POE (unfortunately).

Should I mail him the NOA1? Or just scan it in for him to print off?

- Tiffanney & Matthew -

ROC

Timeline

Should I mail him the NOA1? Or just scan it in for him to print off?

I had my husband mail it to me to be safe, but I think the scanned copy would be fine.

I had my husband mail it to me to be safe, but I think the scanned copy would be fine.

I wouldn't even worry about it. A Canadian officer won't even know what it is anyways. Just telling them that your are in the US immigration process and being knowledgable about it would probably be more than suffice.

Timeline

I wouldn't even worry about it. A Canadian officer won't even know what it is anyways. Just telling them that your are in the US immigration process and being knowledgable about it would probably be more than suffice.

Ok wait. Is your fiance the USC visiting you in Canada? Or is he the Canadian visiting you in the US? From the post I assumed he was visiting you in the US. If I'm mistaken then yes, listen to Neiks, not me!

The Husband in this case is Canadian - visiting the U.S.

Ahh, title confused me. Should say "US POE". My bad.... my advice is more geared to a visitor wanting to enter Canada to visit.

Timeline

Return ticket and employment letter is good. I was never once asked for any evidence (I was always armed with tons) and I always said either boyfriend or fiance. Tmix is right, there is border crossing hysteria going on, there are a few horror stories out there that makes people paranoid! (I was one of the paranoid ones too)!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

ACK I apologize for being so unclear. Thanks for setting straight, trailmix! I know I'm probably more worried than I should be considering he's only staying for a weekend, but yeah -- the horror stories aren't helping lol.

- Tiffanney & Matthew -

ROC

A scanned copy of the NOA1 worked fine for me.

I also live with my parents... so for my first visit, I had the copy of the NOA1, my return flight information, and the letter from my employer stating my return date.

I now cross bearing much more information, but that did suffice for my first trip across.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.