incanada1234

2 days til interview!!

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well, our interview is only two days away now. We leave tomorrow afternoon in order to make it to Montreal in time to get a good night's sleep (we're getting up at 5:00AM! :wacko: ). I just have a few last minute questions/things to confirm, so if anyone could answer I'd appreciate it. :)

1) This might be a dumb question (well ok, they might ALL be dumb questions) but on the checklist, I noticed it says "you are required to bring the original of all the documents listed in this packet 4." I don't quite understand this - we SENT the originals to the NVC and kep the copies, so is this going to be a problem?

2) It says to bring birth certificate but we already sent that in as well and obviously, we weren't able to order more than one. Again, will this be a problem?

They make it confusing because each document they list has a "Status", but even though they received all these documents already, they're still asking us to bring them??

3) How many passport photos are required at the interview? Hubby has 4 of the exact same photo (taken two weeks ago) but only 2 of them are date stamped on the back.

4) Do we only need $100? Are there any other hidden fees we need to know about for when we get to the embassy?

5) Where do we park? Is there free parking right at the embassy? If not, what would you recommend?

6) Should we take any "proof"? Wedding pictures, etc?

7) Since we're both in Canada and using my mom and a joint sponsor, all I need to bring of hers is her 2005 tax transcripts and a couple recent paystubs, right?

I think that's it for now. Good thing this process isn't stressful! :rolleyes:;)

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

4) Do we only need $100? Are there any other hidden fees we need to know about for when we get to the embassy?

whats the 100 dollars for ??

never read or heard about it !!!

and regarding originals it seems you only have the option

of taking your copies , I made the same error when sending first application to

service centre, one of our premier "posters" of the era "sanc"

was quick to point out my sending originals instead of copies.

I did obtain copies of original from the relevant agencies.

good luck on wednesday , seems you have it all covered.

I have to go alone ,jules is home in s dakota visiting my ailing father in law.

I will take photos, phone records and e mails and thats all.

still pissed that I got a fri interview ,it makes it 4 nights in hotel.

seems very punitive to me

cheers red :devil:

Well I mean, I seriously remember NOTHING about instructions saying to send in copies. It's just common sense to send in originals and keep the copies, isn't it? Bah. Well, as long as it's not a problem then I won't worry.

I'm not sure what the $100 is for, I just know you have to pay it for Cr1/Ir1.

That would suck to have to stay 4 nights but we're not even staying ONE extra night. We're just going to get an express envelope and have them mail it to us.

Oh, and thanks red! :)

Edited by incanada1234

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

"In our attempt to make everybody happy, we make nobody happy. And we lose elections." - Democratic activist Janice Griffin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

when I went to Vancouver I had copies of EVERYTHING!!! you will need your long form "official" birth cretificate with province # on it and that is the one with parents names etc.

The 100.00 is the processing fee there is no other cost. Take pics of you 2, any copies of divorce cert's etc. you should have copies of ALL things already filed Hope this helps :) good luck

May God's Grace be all you will ever need ticker.png

Timeline

:devil:

I'm not sure what the $100 is for, I just know you have to pay it for Cr1/Ir1.

well old redd\d has missed that one.

have read every word from nvc/ montreal many times.

and the majority of posts re montreal experience.

remember we are CR-1 NOT K-1 which I know little about.

take the ton and spend it on a slap up celebration meal.

I am so anxious to get to see my wife and father in law @s dakota

I paid for a flight to on wed aug 2nd , so will have to wait till mon in montreal.

no way can I trust the consulate and express post to get the passport from

montreal to toronto in 24hrs.

luckily I have close ties in montreal and I have got a boutique hotel

at rock bottom rate

so will lay back and enjoy ,it will only cost me 200 with tax for 2 extra nights.

once again good luck on wednesday

keep us all posted PLEASE

RED :devil:

Timeline

I thought the $ 100 was only for K visas since we've already paid the $ 380 immigrant visa. Anyway, I will bring some money with me.

I just got my packet 4 an hour ago and it does say to bring all the documents. :unsure: Luckily, I have a second certified/original copy of most (save one) of my stuff because I thought I was going to go for a K-3 interview.

Red, I totally understand about the Friday interview. Ours is on Friday, too. But because our 1st year anniversary is that weekend (Aug. 13) and my husband will be here for the interview, we decided to make a mini vacation out of it. We might go to the Laurentians or somewhere else. Any suggestions... anyone?

Good luck, incanada! :)

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

Timeline

Go see Notre Dame and there is a great resturant but I'll ask my husband what's it's called and get back to you. It is a place the just bring meat on sticks and keep on serving till you flip your card to say no more. It is so gooooodddddd!!!!!!!!! I think it's brazilian.

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Timeline
Go see Notre Dame and there is a great resturant but I'll ask my husband what's it's called and get back to you. It is a place the just bring meat on sticks and keep on serving till you flip your card to say no more. It is so gooooodddddd!!!!!!!!! I think it's brazilian.

Thanks, Buttons. I'd like to know what that restaurant is. We've already seen the Notre Dame where he managed to lock his keys in the car. So, we're thinking of going outside Montreal for the weekend since we've pretty much done everything here. Rob and I would visit my family who lives in the suburbs of Montreal every year when we were still dating. Also, we were married here in Montreal at St. Patrick's Basilica (which is actually across the consulate :lol: ).

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

Timeline

http://www.restomontreal.ca/portal/le-milsa/

Looks like it's close to the consulate.

Worth the money !!!!!!!! Believe me ! Go hungry !

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Timeline

hey incanada,

my husband's IR-1 interview is this friday, so we're stressing out right along with you. :)

1. CHECKLIST: we, too, are confused about the checklist - all of his documents are marked 'received', so why do we need to bring them again? however, it does say on the 'appointment day reminders' sheet that you don't have to bring originals of civil documents if you've already submitted them to NVC. and again on the 'additional requirements' page, it says to bring all original documents if you have not already submitted them to NVC, so i think you are okay.

2. i don't have a copy of the OF-169 (though it is marked on the checklist as 'document complete/reviewed'). i don't even remember what it is! :huh: i tried doing a search for it here, and through google, and can't find anything.

3. PHOTOS: only 2 photographs for each visa applicant are required (as per the 'appointment letter for immigrant visa applicants' page). my husband's bringing 4, just in case. none of them have a date stamp on them, but they were taken just a few weeks ago (he looks exactly the same).

4. FEES: the only fee i've heard of is for the fingerprinting? i don't know how much it is, and i can't find any reference to it in the packet 4. but he's bringing $200 US, just to be on the safe side.

5. PROOF OF RELATIONSHIP: he's bringing a wedding picture, and a picture of our family, taken at christmas. we've been married for 6 years, though, so we're not going for the CR-1. don't know if the requirements are different.

6. EVIDENCE OF SUPPORT: we're both in canada as well, so we're bring a 2005 tax return for me, updated info about our assets, my dad's 2005 tax return (he's a joint sponsor), along with a couple of his recent paystubs and his W-2, and a letter from him stating that those are, in fact his tax returns.

7. DOMICILE: we've heard that if both applicants are in canada, you have to establish domicile in the U.S.? so i'm bringing my credit report that shows my parents' address in the U.S., a copy of my bank account in the U.S. (with my parents's address), a copy of the lease for the house we're renting in california, and a copy of our contract to sell our house here in calgary, as well as a letter from our realtor stating that we're not putting the house on the market until AFTER he gets his green card. don't want to end up homeless!

i hope that answered a few of your questions, or at least cleared some stuff up for you. good luck with the interview - i'm sure it will be a breeze. my husband's staying until monday to pick up his green card; we just don't trust canada post. so he gets a weekend sans wife and kids. i'm so jealous! :)

Well, our interview is only two days away now. We leave tomorrow afternoon in order to make it to Montreal in time to get a good night's sleep (we're getting up at 5:00AM! :wacko: ). I just have a few last minute questions/things to confirm, so if anyone could answer I'd appreciate it. :)

1) This might be a dumb question (well ok, they might ALL be dumb questions) but on the checklist, I noticed it says "you are required to bring the original of all the documents listed in this packet 4." I don't quite understand this - we SENT the originals to the NVC and kep the copies, so is this going to be a problem?

2) It says to bring birth certificate but we already sent that in as well and obviously, we weren't able to order more than one. Again, will this be a problem?

They make it confusing because each document they list has a "Status", but even though they received all these documents already, they're still asking us to bring them??

3) How many passport photos are required at the interview? Hubby has 4 of the exact same photo (taken two weeks ago) but only 2 of them are date stamped on the back.

5) Where do we park? Is there free parking right at the embassy? If not, what would you recommend?

6) Should we take any "proof"? Wedding pictures, etc?

7) Since we're both in Canada and using my mom and a joint sponsor, all I need to bring of hers is her 2005 tax transcripts and a couple recent paystubs, right?

I think that's it for now. Good thing this process isn't stressful! :rolleyes:;)

all you can eat meat? my husband will DEFINITELY be there! :lol: thanks for the tip!

http://www.restomontreal.ca/portal/le-milsa/

Looks like it's close to the consulate.

Worth the money !!!!!!!! Believe me ! Go hungry !

blahblah, thank you, you are awesome!! :thumbs: Everything you went over we have already done and it sounds to me like we're ready for the interview. Yay! You'll have to let us know how the interview goes on Friday; hopefully both of our husbands will become United States residents this week! :)

24vs7qp.jpg

21ch82r.gif

Timeline

blahblah... I had the same question regarding the OF-169 document. Apparently this is the co-sponsor dcument that your father [?] filled out. I believe it may also be considered the 864A... or something like that. I hope that helps at least.

Also, I once heard that fingerprinting costs $80ish but like you, I will be bringing more cash just in case. It's always good to be over-prepared than under.

Good luck.

US girl married to a Canadian boy.

Short and Sweet Version

10/15/2005 married in Niagara Falls, NY

10/28 I-130 mailed.

11/3 NOA1.

11/28 I-130 Approved!!!

12/14 NVC case number

12/17 Received DS3032 and 864 bill

1/6/2006 Mailed DS3032 and 864 bill

1/19 Received IV bill

1/25 Received 864 packet

1/31 Mailed IV bill

2/10 Mailed 864 packet

2/18 Received DS 230

2/21 RFE 864 - NVC wants one piece of info.

3/8 Mailed RFE 864

3/14 Mailed DS-230

3/16 DS-230 received at NVC

3/30 RFE #2

5/4 Mailed RFE #2

5/11 CASE COMPLETE!!!!

7/7 case forwarded to Montreal

8/21 MONTREAL INTERVIEW!!!!!!

8/22 Got temporary visa

8/26 imported hubby to the US

Timeline

Its been awhile since my cr-1 interview (dec 2004). I too sent in all original documents ( I bought extras from the appropriate agencies, incase NVCC lost them) When I arrived at the window at the consulate, the ladyasked for the original docs, I stated I had mailed in the originals, she said ok, got out my packet,and there they were!! As Istated earlier Iwas abit nala and purchased extra copies of birth cert, etc etc. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.