KansasDragon

Splitting Life Between Two Countries, Before Removing Conditions?

6 posts in this topic

I am self-employed, with a portable job. I can work from anywhere there is an internet connection.

My wife's 2-year green card expires next July, we have a plan in place to spend several months per year (possibly up to 6) working in the Philippines, with the rest of the time here in the USA.

We would maintain an address, banks, etc.. in both places.

We are wanting to start this plan shortly, and be gone for several months between now and the renewal of her green card.

Would this likely cause any major issues with her renewal?

Any tips, or advice we should follow prior to going?

Thank you!

Barry & Ann

If it's going to be, it's up to me!

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

January 2005 - Met Annie online

February 13th 2006 - Met in Real - WOW!! Ikaw maganda!

February 14th 2006 - Proved I was really serious, proposed to Annie - She said "Yes"

February 2006 - January 2007 - Both working, saving, planning. Continuously chasing Annie online, on phone...

January 22, 2007 - February 4th, 2007 - Together again in Philippines, working on paperwork, visiting family.

February 27th 2007 - I-129F Mailed to Nebraska

March 6th - NOA1 Received.

May 23rd - NOA2, Received Approval Email

June 14th - Receive letter from NVC, packet on the way to Manila Embassy

July 30th - Annie receives packet from Embassy, appointment scheduled for September.

August 29th - Annie survives Blood Draw, Injections, and successfully completes Medical at St. Lukes.

September 13th - Annie is a huge success at the Embassy, SHE IS APPROVED!

September 20th - Visa in Hand, tickets purchased..

December 18th - Jumped on Airplane, Philippines for Christmas and New Year's.

December 27th - CFO Seminar Succesfully Completed

January 8th - Jumped on Airplane to USA together, Seattle POE, arrived home to Kansas.

March 14, 2008 - Married

May 19, 2008 - AOS NOA1 Recieved, Biometrics scheduled for June 18.

I am self-employed, with a portable job. I can work from anywhere there is an internet connection.

My wife's 2-year green card expires next July, we have a plan in place to spend several months per year (possibly up to 6) working in the Philippines, with the rest of the time here in the USA.

We would maintain an address, banks, etc.. in both places.

We are wanting to start this plan shortly, and be gone for several months between now and the renewal of her green card.

Would this likely cause any major issues with her renewal?

Any tips, or advice we should follow prior to going?

Thank you!

Barry & Ann

you shouldn't have problems with your plan to work overseas. when she is eligible to apply for naturalization though, the "welcome to the US" doc says leaving the US for more than 6 months MIGHT be considered a break in her residency, which requires that she be physically present for a continuous 18 months here in the US (for those married to USCs), unless she's able to prove that she has continuos ties here. so either make sure you don't exceed the 6 months every year or make sure you will have strong proof of ties to the US while away.

the other req is physical presence, every month she's out of the US will be counted against the required 18 months, but this only means she'll later on have to stay more months to complete the requirement to make her eligible to become a USC.

one thing you have to remember is that she has to "remove conditions" within 90 days prior to GC expiration (july) so be sure to include that in your plans.

the main thing required of her in removal of conditions is to establish continuing relationship since you two got married and since her AOS to LPR.

other things you have to do:

1. inform (online) the DHS of your change of address every time you move

2. pay taxes every year.

3. read the doc "welcome to the US" to see the rules yourself

good luck and god bless

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

In regards to ROC, because you will continue to be employed by a US employer (yourself) then I would just consider time spent outside of the US vacation time. You pay US taxes and maintain a US residence. You've already also spent a full year here, so we are only talking about one 6-month period.

I would not change addresses though. You are not moving, just going abroad with the intention of returning home after a lengthy holiday. Make sure that any evidence points to the US as being your and your wife's permanent, primary residence.

As for what comes next during naturalization ... you may want to research that a little before making a decision.

I will be filing for citizenship next year for this same reason. My husband and I want to be able to work both in and outside of the US and I don't want to have to worry about customs every single time we come home here.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

I will be filing for citizenship next year for this same reason. My husband and I want to be able to work both in and outside of the US and I don't want to have to worry about customs every single time we come home here.

Just to be nitpicky, citizens always have to clear customs. I think you meant you don't want to have to worry about immigration.

SA4userbar.jpg

Just to be nitpicky, citizens always have to clear customs. I think you meant you don't want to have to worry about immigration.

I don't want to have to worry facing CBP. Yes, I know I'll have to clear customs, but I always totally stress out thinking that they are going to find some excuse to hold me indefinitely. And when I say stress, I mean STRESS!!! in the most imaginative and exaggerated way too, lol.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.