laureldevine

Affadavit Of Support - London Embassy

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hi all,

quick question my mom is sponsoring my fiance and i would like to know exactly what legal and financial documents she would need to gather up??? any help would be appreciated !!! :thumbs:

Just for clarification. YOU are sponsoring your fiance. You mother is co-sponsoring your fiance. She needs to submit the same items you do, last years tax return, employment letter, recent check stubs, I-134, etc. She also needs to supply proof she is a US citizen or Legal Permanent resident (copy of birth certificate or passport)

YOU will always be the primary sponsor, anyone else is a co- or joint-sponsor. YOU always have to provide an I-134 or I-864. Any co or joint sponsor also does the same.

Just for clarification, there is no such thing as 'co-sponsorship' with the I134. There is only one sponsor.

Some consulates will still look for an affidavit from the petitioner. Many will not.

The information given by Gary is relevant to the I864 at time of adjustment of status, and not at visa interview stage.

Moving thread to Consular forums.

Yet, Consulates often refer to co-sponsorship even when refusing to accept an additional sponsor, I've seen them indicate they won't accept a "co-sponsor". Most consulate with which I'm familiar DO require an affidavit from the petitioner even when they don't qualify as sponsor.

Would you really advise a petitioner to refrain from providing their own I-134 and just one from somebody else? I wouldn't, not in a million years.

Its OK Pushbrk. RJ goes about trying to find something I wrote to nit-pik, even at the expense of confusing the OP. Why she would want to do that to someone, I have no clue.

As Pushbrk and I suggest, present TWO affidavits of support, YOURS and your Mother's. If RJ is right you will waste a little time and carry home an unneeded affidavit...and a visa. If you do what she says (that is if you can dicipher what she actually said as she only , as usual, insults a member and offers no answer or suggestion of her own) and she is WRONG you will go home without a visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
hi all,

quick question my mom is sponsoring my fiance and i would like to know exactly what legal and financial documents she would need to gather up??? any help would be appreciated !!! :thumbs:

Just for clarification. YOU are sponsoring your fiance. You mother is co-sponsoring your fiance. She needs to submit the same items you do, last years tax return, employment letter, recent check stubs, I-134, etc. She also needs to supply proof she is a US citizen or Legal Permanent resident (copy of birth certificate or passport)

YOU will always be the primary sponsor, anyone else is a co- or joint-sponsor. YOU always have to provide an I-134 or I-864. Any co or joint sponsor also does the same.

Just for clarification, there is no such thing as 'co-sponsorship' with the I134. There is only one sponsor.

Some consulates will still look for an affidavit from the petitioner. Many will not.

The information given by Gary is relevant to the I864 at time of adjustment of status, and not at visa interview stage.

Yet, Consulates often refer to co-sponsorship even when refusing to accept an additional sponsor, I've seen them indicate they won't accept a "co-sponsor". Most consulate with which I'm familiar DO require an affidavit from the petitioner even when they don't qualify as sponsor.

Would you really advise a petitioner to refrain from providing their own I-134 and just one from somebody else? I wouldn't, not in a million years.

Typical. States it is for clarification and then muddies things up. Are you saying the OP should present an I-134 in addition to her mother's or not? Please be clear for the benefit of the OP. I say she should.

If you disagree with me, then give some clear and concise advice how to proceed, that is what they came here for.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline
hi all,

Typical. States it is for clarification and then muddies things up. Are you saying the OP should present an I-134 in addition to her mother's or not? Please be clear for the benefit of the OP. I say she should.

If you disagree with me, then give some clear and concise advice how to proceed, that is what they came here for.

Tsk tsk boys. Go back and read what I wrote. Did I say laurel shouldn't prepare her own affidavit? I don't believe I stated an opinion one way or the other.

What I did do was correct Gary's assertion that the I134 is handled at consulates in the same manner as the I864 is at adjustment of status. As the two documents serve two entirely different purposes (and one isn't even legally enforceable) comparisons are moot.

Neither of you passed through the London consulate. As with all things at this stage of the process the issue is consulate specific. Laurel should research recent anecdotal evidence for the manner in which the financial aspect of her fiance's visa will be viewed. London has been known in the past to forego an affidavit from the petitioner when another credible affidavit is produced. Research will yield the answer as to whether or not such is the case now.

Whoa whoa whoa. Okay now I'm freaking out. You can't have a co-sponsor on the I-134??? When did this come about? I've read on here that you ARE able to have a co-sponsor on the I-134 and that a lot of people do. I'm pretty much screwed if I can't have a co-sponsor. *sigh*

hi all,

Filed: Timeline

Inappropriate content removed and edited information returned:

Laurel

You are fine. YES you can have a co-sponsor at the London consulate.

You should prepare an I-134 and so should your mother. Present both at the interview in LONDON. You will be fine provided you or your mother meets the guidelines.

Once again, I am sorry for the confusion I had hoped my follow up oosts would have prevented it.

Good luck

Please refrain from making personal observations against other members. It is inappropriate and unacceptable.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline
Whoa whoa whoa. Okay now I'm freaking out. You can't have a co-sponsor on the I-134??? When did this come about? I've read on here that you ARE able to have a co-sponsor on the I-134 and that a lot of people do. I'm pretty much screwed if I can't have a co-sponsor. *sigh*

beatlesrebel -

Someone else other than yourself can complete an I-134 that will underwrite the sponsorship of your fiance's visa. If you cannot fulfill the requirements, you can't 'sponsor'.

It's a minor wrinkle in understanding the language of immigration. Minor, but important still because having a good knowledge of the process gives you power over it. If you read the instructions for the I134, you'll see it makes no mention that the person completing the form must be the petitioner of the beneficiary.

Gary and Pushbrk have stated that some consulates will still require an I-134 from the petitioner. They are correct. They are correct because there really are no standards given to consulates by the Department of State for minimum financial documentation to issue a visa. Some consulates do not even use form I-134.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.