Ms.Dawn

Decided to take the K1 route

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
I have just read about DCF online and I think this is the best solution!! Thanks very much for letting me know...I didn't know there can be an option like this.. :)

I have some questions though hope you can help me out...

- There are 2 types of visa for spouses in HK:

1. Dependent visa - I will be the sponsor for my husband, meaning his visa will be dependent on me. This visa is conditional but He will be able to work and allowed to reside here until he gets his permanent residency after 7 years.

2. Hong Kong permanent resident - After 7 years of dependent visa he will be able to apply for Hong Kong permanent residency. He will be a HK ID card holder saying he has the right of abode in HK.

Would he be able to do DCF if he is on dependent visa? or does he need to be a Permanent Hong Kong resident before he can do the DCF? if he needs to be a permanent resident then it would take 7 long years... but then atleast we are together :D

Thanks very much.

You'll want to check with the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong to be certain, but your future husband should be able to do DCF for your I-130 on a dependent visa. The general practice is that if the U.S. citizen is resident in a foreign country for six months or more, he is eligible for DCF at the embassy/consulate there.

Thanks so much I will have to discuss this with my Fiance.

Cheers

Help!

Ok... So I have already discussed this whole K1 process thing to my Fiance and we have decided to file for a K1 visa instead of getting married here in Hong Kong.

We started talking online since Feb 2009. I went to America to visit him for a week on Aug 2009. I am worried that if we do file for K1 visa with us meeting in person only once would not be a strong proof of our relationship. Would it be okay if he files the K1 visa first then visit me here in Hong Kong while in the process? or is it better to file the K1 visa after he visits me?

While filing the I-129F would they need the proof of relationship from him or would that be in my part when I get the package?

Thanks so much for your replies.

cheers xx

Spero Melior..."I Hope for better things"

For the I-129F, all you have to prove is that you met at least once in the last two years with strong evidence (like a copy of a passport stamp, boarding passes, flight itineraries) and you can add in some secondary evidence as suggested by the guides (located at the top of this page). You can also include future flights (if you've bought the ticket) if you have them.

When you get to the interview stage, it's then that you have to prove your ongoing relationship. If you want to get through the process sooner, only meeting once shouldn't hold you back, provided you have evidence of the meeting.

Good luck!

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Timeline
For the I-129F, all you have to prove is that you met at least once in the last two years with strong evidence (like a copy of a passport stamp, boarding passes, flight itineraries) and you can add in some secondary evidence as suggested by the guides (located at the top of this page). You can also include future flights (if you've bought the ticket) if you have them.

When you get to the interview stage, it's then that you have to prove your ongoing relationship. If you want to get through the process sooner, only meeting once shouldn't hold you back, provided you have evidence of the meeting.

Good luck!

Hi Justine+David

Appreciate your reply. ;)

I kept my boarding passes, flight itineraries and also my passport has a stamp. When I entered the us the IO at Newark put a stamp on my passport which is august 3 (date of entry) but did not give me an I-94, but I saw the I-129F form and it's asking for a I-94 no. I'm guessing I didn't need it because it was just 2 weeks. I did not have to go through immigration when I left the country (just security checkpoints) I have the boarding pass but I don't have a stamp that I left the country on my passport! Would that cause a problem I'm just worried they will think I overstayed or became an illegal immigrant or something.

When it is time for me to apply for the visa here in HK, do I submit the proofs or I just bring it with me at the interview? And also, what other proofs can I show besides pictures? My Fiance have unlimited calls on skype and also have a local HK no. that is connected to his US mobile phone no. through skype (so it goes over our local minutes) (it's complicated but it's very cheap!) and that's what we use to call each other everyday, do we need to print telephone statements? I don't save histories of our YM chats and we don't email each other would I also need that too?

Say if we do get approved of the K1 visa do I have to go to the US ASAP or can I wait a few more months as I need to settle things before I leave?

Thanks very much

Cheers xx :)

At this point, I strongly suggest reading the guides (located at the top of this page) because they will answer many of your questions. There are also example forms to show you what you need to fill out and if you do a search on the forum, you can usually find answers that way.

And yes, once the visa is issued, you get 6 months to enter the US and then 90 days to get married, and then you adjust status which is entirely different (grr, it's all so complicated, I know).

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Good luck!

Hi Justine+David

Appreciate your reply. ;)

I kept my boarding passes, flight itineraries and also my passport has a stamp. When I entered the us the IO at Newark put a stamp on my passport which is august 3 (date of entry) but did not give me an I-94, but I saw the I-129F form and it's asking for a I-94 no. I'm guessing I didn't need it because it was just 2 weeks. I did not have to go through immigration when I left the country (just security checkpoints) I have the boarding pass but I don't have a stamp that I left the country on my passport! Would that cause a problem I'm just worried they will think I overstayed or became an illegal immigrant or something.

When it is time for me to apply for the visa here in HK, do I submit the proofs or I just bring it with me at the interview? And also, what other proofs can I show besides pictures? My Fiance have unlimited calls on skype and also have a local HK no. that is connected to his US mobile phone no. through skype (so it goes over our local minutes) (it's complicated but it's very cheap!) and that's what we use to call each other everyday, do we need to print telephone statements? I don't save histories of our YM chats and we don't email each other would I also need that too?

Say if we do get approved of the K1 visa do I have to go to the US ASAP or can I wait a few more months as I need to settle things before I leave?

Thanks very much

Cheers xx :)

The US doesn't stamp departures. You only need to put your I-94 number on the I-129F if you're currently in the US, which you're not, so don't stress on that point - but it's a bit concerning you never had an I-94, they should have given you that on the plane on the way in to fill out, then you would have had to present it to immigration on the way in, and they should have torn off a little piece and given it back to you (which you would then return to the airline when you leave). It may or may not be a problem when you try to re-enter on the K-1, since that I-94 stub proves that you left the country when you were supposed to.

As for further proofs, send some snail mail to your fiance (Christmas is coming up, send him a card!), make sure you have your chat logs saved on Skype (skype is great because it also records how often you call a person, and how long the calls are), if your fiance comes to HK for another visit try to get things with both your names on them - hotel receipts, etc. I also had DHL Air Waybills because I used to ship a lot of things to my fiance (you wouldn't believe how much stuff he left behind when he came to visit -.-)

July 2007 - met Jesse at a beach party held by mutual friends in Long Island, NY

May 2008 - J-1 visa expired, had to move back to Australia

July 2008-September 2008 - lived with Jesse for three months in Staten Island, NY

March 2009 - Jesse comes to Australia for 3 weeks

April 2009 - Engaged!

05/20/09 - I-129F petition mailed in

05/22/09 - NOA1!

05/25/09 - touch

09/09/09 - NOA2!

10/01/09 - due to fiance's illness, we are abandoning pursuit of K-1 at this point. Packet 3 received from consulate but won't be returned.

arnie.jpg

Our baby boy, Arnie.

Timeline

I filled out a form when I was on the plane and gave it to the IO. All he asked was how long I was staying and I said 2 weeks, and then he said "hmm not bad." then asked for my return ticket then put a stamp on my passport but never gave me back anything. I hope it would not be a problem bec I am back in Hong Kong and I never stayed over two weeks! LOL

Well we used to chat on YM a lot before my Fiance discovered unlimited calls on skype. I never save histories on chat at that time bec I never thought we would go this far.... Like file for visa's and stuff Hehe. Are chat histories really important? And also we don't email each other because we always talk on phone like 5-10 hours max! OMG. Lol But as far as skype is concerned I think all his and my calls are logged on his skype bills. (skype is amazing)

I also keep my fedex receipts like when I sent him a birthday present in some other little stuff. He also sent me stuff for my bday on sept and I kept that receipt too...That should be alright I guess.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I have just read about DCF online and I think this is the best solution!! Thanks very much for letting me know...I didn't know there can be an option like this.. :)

I have some questions though hope you can help me out...

- There are 2 types of visa for spouses in HK:

1. Dependent visa - I will be the sponsor for my husband, meaning his visa will be dependent on me. This visa is conditional but He will be able to work and allowed to reside here until he gets his permanent residency after 7 years.

2. Hong Kong permanent resident - After 7 years of dependent visa he will be able to apply for Hong Kong permanent residency. He will be a HK ID card holder saying he has the right of abode in HK.

Would he be able to do DCF if he is on dependent visa? or does he need to be a Permanent Hong Kong resident before he can do the DCF? if he needs to be a permanent resident then it would take 7 long years... but then atleast we are together :D

Thanks very much.

You'll want to check with the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong to be certain, but your future husband should be able to do DCF for your I-130 on a dependent visa. The general practice is that if the U.S. citizen is resident in a foreign country for six months or more, he is eligible for DCF at the embassy/consulate there.

Thanks so much I will have to discuss this with my Fiance.

Cheers

Help!

Ok... So I have already discussed this whole K1 process thing to my Fiance and we have decided to file for a K1 visa instead of getting married here in Hong Kong.

We started talking online since Feb 2009. I went to America to visit him for a week on Aug 2009. I am worried that if we do file for K1 visa with us meeting in person only once would not be a strong proof of our relationship. Would it be okay if he files the K1 visa first then visit me here in Hong Kong while in the process? or is it better to file the K1 visa after he visits me?

While filing the I-129F would they need the proof of relationship from him or would that be in my part when I get the package?

Thanks so much for your replies.

cheers xx

For the petiton you need to have met ONE time in the last two years in person for no specified period of time. 30 secomds will do it. There is no proof of relationship neededfor the petition. That comes at the time of the interview and standards for this can vary by consulate.

He is petitioning the opportunity for YOU to apply for a K-1 visa. For proof of realtionship it will not matter when other visits occur. Two visits is two visits.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.