Peachey

Another good reason not to get a lawyer

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mainyasha,

I don't really want to SHAME lawyers. That's not what this thread is about.If you want to amke a thread about shaming lawyers, go over into off topic and do it. I'm pretty sure most people around here will say it's not welcome. Lawyers are also human beings that make mistakes or are ignorant. And, I'm the ignorant one in my case for getting one. I should have found this site first. I paid the $$, so I'm the stupid one, not the lawyer!

Gemmie- You should have, or should, bring a book of evidence of your relationship to your interview. That is not bad advice. You don't want to be the one person who gets interviewed that day by USCIS who in fact, does Not believe you and questions you to death.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

we used a lawyer, he was an immigration lawyer he cost us about 1000 bucks or maybe more I can't remember now..

we got 2 RFE's with him...one of them was at the NVC stage, he sent in photocopies instead of the originals.. :blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

Lawyers are not the victims here!

Its hardworking folks that put their money and trust in the hands of people that tell us that they are competent and end up in some instances costing people everything.

One man from Sudan payed a lawyer $3000 dollars to file assylum to bring his family here and to have residence here for him as well. Some months down the line he get a letter from some government department telling him his lawyer had been disbarred and that he should find someone else. When he eventually found the money to pay someone else he found out that his case had been denied because he had missed so many court dates . Needless to say he was deported back to Africa. BUT lawyer just opened offices elsewhere.

If you needed a lawyer? WOuldnt you appreciate it if somehad forewarned you about this lawyer.

Timeline

Okay, we get it. You've made you point.

And to be honest, some people actually DO need lawyers. If I was trying to file asylum, I'd probably get one too.

Any ways, if we can get back to the thread...

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

China you say? 3 years you say?

Tell him to send me a PM once he joins, can help with sanity check..

But.

If it's really been 3 years SINCE HE FILED, then maybe she got lost in a black hole somewhere for a name check, and it's never come out. Did his lawyer give him the 'last status' , by any chance?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Lots of stories aren't there Darnell...not necessary all true :whistle:

My eyes filled with grit

But.

If it's really been 3 years SINCE HE FILED, then maybe she got lost in a black hole somewhere for a name check, and it's never come out. Did his lawyer give him the 'last status' , by any chance?

Yeah, I think he's got a crackpot lawyer is the problem. Or if he filled for a K3 she never sent her stuff in. Last I heard before the other day was that it was stuck at the Chinese Government stage, which didn't really make any sense to me because my Visa doesn't go to the Canadian government. I guess it could be different in China.

If he joins, I'll tell him to PM you for some advice. I told him there were quite a few people with experience from China.

Yeah, it's true unfortunately. I've met him and "met" her on webcam...

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

I made no allusion to any story, or a collection of stories :D

I did make a reference to the black hole of waiting on a namecheck, though.

My apologies, I didn't assume too much, and without ANY of his backgrounder, all is just assumption ( on my part ).

No worries??

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

But.

Yeah, I think he's got a crackpot lawyer is the problem. Or if he filled for a K3 she never sent her stuff in. Last I heard before the other day was that it was stuck at the Chinese Government stage, which didn't really make any sense to me because my Visa doesn't go to the Canadian government. I guess it could be different in China.

If he joins, I'll tell him to PM you for some advice. I told him there were quite a few people with experience from China.

Yeah, it's true unfortunately. I've met him and "met" her on webcam...

There's a coupla possiblities for 'Chinese Government Stage' but it's ALL so esoteric, and easily solved:

1. Getting a Police Certificate in the city where her hukuo is registered, then translated into English.

2. Getting a Birth Certificate in the city where her hukuo is registered, then translated into English.

3. Translating the Marriage Book into English.

But those can be handled, realistically, within 2 weeks, without paying any bribes.

Perhaps she has a J-1 issue, and they are waiting because of that? ( that's a stretch, really ) or

She's a high-up government worker, and somehow has to get out of her job (which usually will mean losing her domicile within 12 months of leaving the job ), before she can mention to her work-unit that she married an American? It all depends on the job, of course, and how much involvement she has with the Communist Party. If she's trying to get her divorce paperwork in China, and it's stalled - WEI - that can take some time if the ex has vanished (Usually divorce court is one day , and yer done, if both spouses show up at the same day, but if one has abandoned the marriage, and VANISHED , and the other one wants a divorce, it can take a bit, anywhere from 6 months to 3 years of waiting ).

But I digress..

I'll wait on a PM or two - but if you speak to him soonish - copy/paste the following bits, perhaps slam him an email? : :

1. date of NOA-1/797C Receipt Notice for I-130

2. date of NOA-1/797C Receipt Notice for I-129f

3. date of NOA-2/797C Approval Notice for I-130

4. date of NOA-2/797C Approval Notice for I-129F

5. Any NVC Processing yet? what's the last thing he sent in, and when? (DS-3032, DS-230, I-864 )

6. did NVC forward ANY petition to the US Consulate in Guanzhou ? if so, which one, and when?

7. Any RFE's? (Request for Evidence ) Remind him if he got ANY, and they weren't responded to, USCIS might just forget about him (or send some notice to the lawyer ).

8. Has she already interviewed at GUZ, and gotten any blue slip?

That's the short list, for now - tell him we're all waiting (no, that wasn't the Royal WE, either ) ..

If he's more apt to have a phone call instead, let him know I'd be happy to have a talk with him over the phone.

Warmest Regards..

Edited by Darnell

Timeline

I made no allusion to any story, or a collection of stories :D

I did make a reference to the black hole of waiting on a namecheck, though.

My apologies, I didn't assume too much, and without ANY of his backgrounder, all is just assumption ( on my part ).

No worries??

Nah I was agreeing with you completely about you questioning that situation :) I think all these bad lawyers stories Ms. Mainyasha has..must make her an expert on bad lawyers. Never have heard so many..she should write a book.

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.