thetreble

Another one...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ugh

How many cases are we going to have like this? It seems to be happening frequently and a lot of people are suing the feds and getting huge settlements.

Now, I'm going to say something REALLY brash here and don't hate me for it...please.. :blush:

But, it sort of irks me, just a little bit, that someone (not this particular fellow but just someone in general) can immigrate to any country, not even just Canada, and live there for a very short time....

Then something bad happens in regards to immigration or denials at borders...

and then they get a huge bundle of cash from a country they hardly served a day in... Just my opinion.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was reading about this this morning and I came to the conclusion that the articles didn't give me enough information to form an opinion.

Did the Canadian government really let him down? It's not our fault that he was arrested, nothing to do with Canada, however, are these statements true?

It claims the foreign minister "deliberately and flagrantly violated (Abdelrazik's) constitutional right to enter Canada, and his legal right to procedural fairness and natural justice, by refusing to issue an emergency passport."

Abdelrazik's lawyer Paul Champ told AFP: "Canadian officials (had) directly asked a foreign government -- and that's a foreign government with a record of torture -- to detain a Canadian citizen."

"He was snatched by the Sudanese secret police and his family didn't know where he was and formally the Canadian government was telling his family they didn't know where he was.

"At same time, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service agents were in Khartoum interrogating him in Sudanese custody," he said. "That's pretty disgusting."

So were the Canadians really 'interrogating' him or were they just questioning him? What is the reason given for not issuing an emergency passport. They state he had/has possible ties to Al-Qaeda - we don't know what evidence they have of this really, aside from a meeting or two with known terrorists. I'm not saying he's not a terroist - i'm just saying we don't know. Until the CSIS comes forth with their story, we just don't have the facts.

Timeline

*sigh... I think it's cashing in on the recent bad press.. it seems like a mixed bag of facts, and I agree with Trailmix..we probably won't know until all the facts are in.. but I do know that if you are on the no fly list (which the CBC is reporting that he was).. there are going to be problems.. no matter who you are..

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just watched his news conference, which they cut out after 4:51

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip216875#clip216875

Still, not enough facts. If everything he says in that clip is true, it sounds like there is at least one over zealous CSIS agent. All of the trials and tribulations he went though happened in a Sudanese prison (zero to do with Canada). The fact that he claims the CSIS and Sudanese authorities were sharing information - that does sound true, but again, that's not that unusual. The fact that the Sudanese authorities are known for their torture tactics and that apparently Canadian authorities played along with them, in the sharing of information - that doesn't seem right.

But still, of course, no word from CSIS that I have seen.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm always leery of lawsuits that piggyback a recent sensationalized media story.

Regarding the greater topic, about people filing lawsuits against nations they have only been a member of for a short while. You see it all the time, especially in the U.S. and U.K.. In a city near where I used to live, a family from UAE moved to southern california and upon enrolling their two children in the local school, filed a lawsuit. Their contention was that the school did not provide a proper muslim curriculum, nor did it take proper precautions to safeguard their children from clothing and ideals that were contrary to their religious views. They weren't even immigrants, they were here on a work visa FFS.

Timeline
Their contention was that the school did not provide a proper muslim curriculum, nor did it take proper precautions to safeguard their children from clothing and ideals that were contrary to their religious views. They weren't even immigrants, they were here on a work visa FFS.

Wow. That is a joke. It's almost like they moved with a plan in mind!!!

I'm hoping to heaven they didn't win that!

You're right, Trailmix, not enough facts. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. Since 9/11, there have been so many cases like this.

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Ugh

How many cases are we going to have like this? It seems to be happening frequently and a lot of people are suing the feds and getting huge settlements.

Now, I'm going to say something REALLY brash here and don't hate me for it...please.. :blush:

But, it sort of irks me, just a little bit, that someone (not this particular fellow but just someone in general) can immigrate to any country, not even just Canada, and live there for a very short time....

Then something bad happens in regards to immigration or denials at borders...

and then they get a huge bundle of cash from a country they hardly served a day in... Just my opinion.

I think that the answer is pretty clear, don't want to get sued, don't do something stupid. It applies to everyone, even governments. Rob and Mel, I'm in total agreement, that lawsuit was just plain wrong. Seriously, if the parents couldn't teach the kids about Islam at home then there must be more than a few madrassas in Southern California. It sounds like a nuisance suit to me. Treble please don't think that I'm not in agreement with you about copycat nuisance suits, I have no sympathy for that nonsense.

When I look into my Canuck passport, I expect that blurb inside to mean something. I know that sounds like a lot but a Canadian passport is a Canadian Passport. What has been happening lately is beyond crazy, it's Bush-league. Maybe we should stop kissing azz and realize that there's a new administration. Who does CSIS think it is, the CIA? Humour me but CSIS answers to ??? This is an ongoing pattern of behaviour. First, we had that poor man (Mahrar Arar) who was taken to Syria and tortured, next the poor lady who was born in Somalia who was labelled an imposter, Abdihakim Mohammed that Austistic man from Montreal (he's only lived in Montreal for 20 years, is that not long enough?) stuck in Kenya for 3 years and so it goes. Now we have AdbelRazik. C'mon now, am I the only one who sees a pattern of behaviour? Have a Muslim sounding name, wear a turban or just look unusual (i.e. darkie or foreign) and sooner or later you'll be "questioned." These folks don't "question" anyone, they interrogate, there is a huge difference. My personal experience is that 90+% of Canadian Border Officials are great folks and polite to a fault but there are a few bad apples even in Canada. In other parts of the world, like Africa, Asia, etc. all bets are off. Maybe the taxpayers who are paying the multi-million judgements should focus their anger on the right targets, the badge-wearing goons and thugs and their superiors who keep doing stupid things.

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

I understand what you are saying, IR5FORMUMSIE, but I also think that no fly lists and other such things are not always directions coming from the Canadian government. I also think that it's our job to make judgment calls and then proceed with action as to how we see fit.

If we really truly believe someone is a risk, and they are denied entry...imprisoned in their home country for whatever reason, and tortured there, is that really the fault of the Canadian government?

Also, while I don't like generalizations, I do think that a large majority of people who wish to harm any western part of the world are from the East. I don't have any facts but I"m going to make the assumption that based on the sheer number of extreme terrorist factions in the Eastern part of the world, that we will continue to hear about people from that part of the world denied entry, arrested here at home and abroad, etc. I think it's more than just a generalization in terms of "Muslim sounding name, beard, etc." It really comes down to sheer numbers. There are probably a lot more terrorists acting alone or in groups in a country like the Sudan or Pakistan then Australia.

But I do agree with the fact that it needs to stop at some point...

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.