bradcanuck

Just so sick to my stomach tired of immigration

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I imagine everyone else is feeling the same way and have for years. But I just need to say I am so tired of this process. Today I am compiling my last bits of evidence for my I-751 in preparation of mailing it off October 11th.

I am tired of the fees, I am tired of the waiting and I am tired of being nervous the entire time waiting for updates on the website or by mail.

Here's hoping the 10 year GC is painless and smooth and next year I can become a citizen and be done with this arm of the government forever.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

you'll get there Brad.. I found ROC a lot less work and irritation.. it's still proving the "legitimacy" of your relationship which irks me, but it was a lot less stressful than the AOS for me personally.

Yep.. it's a frustrating and expensive procedure.. when I tell people unfamiliar with the process about it they are *shocked and awed*

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I imagine everyone else is feeling the same way and have for years. But I just need to say I am so tired of this process. Today I am compiling my last bits of evidence for my I-751 in preparation of mailing it off October 11th.

I am tired of the fees, I am tired of the waiting and I am tired of being nervous the entire time waiting for updates on the website or by mail.

Here's hoping the 10 year GC is painless and smooth and next year I can become a citizen and be done with this arm of the government forever.

The I-751 is in fact the easiest process I thought. You do what you need to fill out, send it out and then a Green Card eventually magically appears in the mail eventually after a short time.

The N-400 brings you of course to the finale but get ready for the mother of all imigration fun. Just as much as the AOS. You fill out the forms, send in all evidence, pay the fees, then get called in for the finger printing a few weeks later and stand in line and wait for that on the schedualed day and time, wait for that to go through, wait for the call for an interview, weeks to months later. Get in, wait in line to enter the building, wait there waiting for the interview. Get the interview, answer the questions they ask about everything, do the test, get a preliminary result (recommended for oath or need more evidence).

Then wait again until you get the oath, show up with the information you need at the specific time and place and date. Get the oath then have fun as you go apply for a passport and get photos, update your SSN at the Social Security office, change your work information to citizen, register to vote and all that #######.

After you get your Voters card and your passport you can look back and go holy ####### it's finally done. The N-400 process is definatly a lot of running around and work, but you do get a huge sigh of relief after that...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A-fricking-men.

Process and the slowness is making me hopping mad right now.

10 fricking weeks and they can't schedule a damn date. In any business but the government that means you're FIRED.

refilao.gif

Edited by Varba

Montreal Interviewer: "What do you have in common with each other?"

Peachey: "We're REALLY weird."

Montreal Interviewer (incredulously to me): "Do you agree with that?"

<I think back to several days before the interview. Driving through the country, passing a field with cows...>

Peachey: "MOOOO! MOOOOO! Does this make me weird?"

Me: "No, well yes. Here, let me roll down the windows so they can hear you better!"

Peachey: "MOOOOO!!!!"

<back to interview>

Me: "Yes, yes I do."

Calm down sweety :) It will happen in time.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

On the plus side... you're with your spouse through all of this part! :thumbs:

Don't trip at the finish line!

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Yeah it's much easier to fill and send out than the rest I found out, and I wasn't as stressed with this one.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Timeline
The N-400 brings you of course to the finale but get ready for the mother of all imigration fun. Just as much as the AOS. You fill out the forms, send in all evidence, pay the fees, then get called in for the finger printing a few weeks later and stand in line and wait for that on the schedualed day and time, wait for that to go through, wait for the call for an interview, weeks to months later. Get in, wait in line to enter the building, wait there waiting for the interview. Get the interview, answer the questions they ask about everything, do the test, get a preliminary result (recommended for oath or need more evidence).

Then wait again until you get the oath, show up with the information you need at the specific time and place and date. Get the oath then have fun as you go apply for a passport and get photos, update your SSN at the Social Security office, change your work information to citizen, register to vote and all that #######.

Well, that sure put a damper on my wanting to take out citizenship. :lol:

iagree.gif

The I-751 is in fact the easiest process I thought. You do what you need to fill out, send it out and then a Green Card eventually magically appears in the mail eventually after a short time.

After you get your Voters card and your passport you can look back and go holy ####### it's finally done. The N-400 process is definatly a lot of running around and work, but you do get a huge sigh of relief after that...

WOW!

Phew.

What a horrible trip.

Maybe I should start smoking pot to ease the emotional pain.

:lol:

Why isn't it legal every where yet?

So Brad, you decided to stay and work things out with your sweetie and the U.S. immigration crapola, huh?

It is truly tough.

i hope you find other things to occupy you mind, heart and hands with so that it doesn't consume you.

While we are in it, it does consume a lot of energy and makes some of us sick...yes, I know I know.

And so....

Be brave, take the little steps, and wait for the sign.

Hahaha....yes, advice I need to take.

How does it go?

Oh yes:

Please take my advice because I'm currently not using it.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I agree, I have felt the same for so many years...Worried, Frustrated, Stressed, etc. of the entire immigration process!

Lol...At least all you got was a stomach ache....I got a couple of trips to the emergency room at the hospital, more medical problems, extra bills (from the debt for paying for these immigration expenses), extra clutter of addtional paperwork I've had to keep, fears of deportation, strained relationships (having to beg, plead, ask others to help out with certain aspects of the immigration process for me), lost a couple of babies, almost lost this baby, and more negative stuff over the years because of all this stress and ####### to deal with immigration...not good at all...And all for what? All because I want to be with my loved ones here in the USA (which is only a few hundred miles/kms of a move). Oh the sacrifices one has to make in life, indeed!

Lol....I have enough paperwork to file a lawsuit with the USCIS for all the "distress and pain" over the years!

Anyone want to join me in a lawsuit against the USCIS (just kidding). Though, I think you all have similar grievances with the USCIS too....

Seriously though, I'm tired of all of this. Thank goodness I'm at the "final stage" of the game...The N-400 US Citizenship, here I come!

For me, I see this as the easiest stage of the "immigration game", as: 1) No worries about deportation or denials 2) Been there, done that, have experience sending in paperwork and in dealing with the USCIS...so know how and what to send and do here 3) There are rewards that come with Citizenship too 4) It will finally be over with soon...Goodbye USCIS forever!

The hardest stage was the I-751 for me, as everything was "in limbo" then. I couldn't stay, nor could I go....Oh and not to mention the unreasonable delays, during this stage of the game for me too....Thanks goodness though, I had congressional help and vjers to help along the way too.

The AOS was again another difficult stage too, as if I wasn't approved then, then I couldn't stay (lol..illegally could though..but couldn't do that). Luckily, we had a lawyer for that because of our unique situation, which helped us there too.

The POE was a nightmare at first...But it was the best risk that I ever took in my life too! Risky, indeed...

(see my detailed vj timeline for more info about my experiences over the years)

Good luck everyone, at whatever stage of the immigration game you're in. Remember: It will all be over soon!

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+A

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Brad, I have to tell ya...this WAS the easiest part of the process so far. Joel's 10 yr was approved in six months. As someone else stated, at least you're with your sweetie. That's what makes this wait so much easier. Get it sent in and sit back with a big sigh of relief. :thumbs:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The POE was a nightmare at first...But it was the best risk that I ever took in my life too! Risky, indeed...

(see my detailed vj timeline for more info about my experiences over the years)

Good luck everyone, at whatever stage of the immigration game you're in. Remember: It will all be over soon!

Ant

Why was the POE risky Ant?

Hang in there Brad!

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Well, in my situation it was a risk...because it was basically an ultimatum...

"Visit me in the USA or we call it quits...", so my boyfriend (now husband) said to me at the time....:blink:

On top of that, it was an ultimatum at the border....If the border officials would have let me through or not....

After 2 hours of intense interrogation....(and on my end having very little 'ties' back to Canada, and nobody else knowing of my visit to the USA...)

It could have been a "yes, we'll let you through for a visit" or "no, go back home to Canada and never see your loved one again"...

Thank goodness everything worked out well in the end...

It was a "yes" for the visit and "yes/I do" for the surprise marriage/elopement....

And years later, I'm still here in the USA...One big happy family....:)

(see my vj timeline for more info too).

Ant

Why was the POE risky Ant?

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.