trablus

Naturalization & Moving Overseas

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone:

I hope you are all doing well, I have a question to ask, and I am in dire need of assistance.

We applied for the I-751 Conditions to Remove the Conditions of Residence for my wife a few months late in 2008. In any case we obtained a receipt notice, but the USCIS issued two different receipt numbers.

Upon calling them the customer service rep notified me that only one is correct.

At that time I also moved to another city within the same state, but changed my address online and via mail. Before our move my wife was called in for fingerprinting and signs were showing that her 10 year permanent residency card was to arrive.

So after moving and making the formal change of address request, with the economy the way it was, I received a job offer overseas, after visiting family.

Before leaving my wife, with her initial permanent residency card expired, was given a temporary stamp in her foreign passport for travel.

Here are my questions:

(1) We are still overseas, and now her passport has expired, and her temporary stamp will no longer be valid.

Thus, we are soon to renew her passport, and send it back to the US to get the temporary stamp again, so that we can return for a short trip to the States.

Is this the best option at this time?

(2) Also, should I send a formal letter to the Texas Service Center or the local field office to see if perhaps the 10 year permanent residency card was sent, but came back undeliverable?

(3) Since we will be overseas, and my wife has been a permanent resident since 2006, and should have received her 10 year permanent residency card recently, what should we do on this front?

(4) Should we apply I-191 or the I-131?

(5) Also, since we have technically been married for over 3 years, and a Permanent Resident married to a U.S. Citizen may apply after 2 1/2 years, can my wife apply for Naturalization?

(6) This could be tricky since we have been outside the country for over 6 months, due to employment reasons, any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

so what is the adress on the petition right now and who is checking the mail

what is her status online for the lifting conditions

if you missed some important mail she may have problems coming back to USA

1. she can try tot ravel withtwo passports one valid and the other one with the stamp

I think you can get a new one only by going by person

2. Do something, becouse it is VERY important to know what is going on

3. gettting the 10 year card is not just a formality, some people have interviews, some have RFEs

you have to find out what is the status of her application ASAP

5 you can apply after 3 yearsa and 9 month if you are eligible

and you start counting from the date of her residency "9when she got her GC), not from marriage date

and you must meet some requirements

6. one of those requirements is continuous residency

a 6 month stay abroad resets her residency

so she will have to start counting those years again

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

CORRECTION

5 you can apply after 2 years and 9 month if you are eligible

and you start counting from the date of her residency (when she got her GC), not from marriage date

so she will have to start counting to have 30 months of residency after you come back to apply for naturalization

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...on_requirements

Edited by krysia

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
CORRECTION

5 you can apply after 2 years and 9 month if you are eligible

and you start counting from the date of her residency (when she got her GC), not from marriage date

so she will have to start counting to have 30 months of residency after you come back to apply for naturalization

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...on_requirements

The whole issue now is living over seas not only breaks your continous residnecy it also set you up for having your Green Card revoked for abandonment. You need to really look into the situation and see that it has not been abandoned for being outside the US. There are rules in place for Green Cards and the rules must be followed. Working overseas can seriously jeapordize not only residency requirements, but loss of the Green Card status as well...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.