Y's_habibitk

MENA CR1/K3/K1 visas PART2

987 posts in this topic

Second what Y and Kenza said...personally never had a problem myself, but mostly lived in big cities where they're accustomed to diverse cultures. If u live in a smaller town community, it might be more of a problem, but i still feel over all u will be promoted based on your performance.

My last job before I took time off from work to spend with the family, they were going to pay for my training so that i could take on a higher position within the department, but at that time i couldn't do it b/c of family pressures (2nd son was just diagnose with autism).

6-22-09 - Filed petition at embassy in Cairo

8-12-09 - Contacted DOS for info on petition...found out petition is filed incorrectly...

8-12-09 - Tried contacting embassy with new info...no response for 3 days..

8-15-09 - Made appt to resubmit petition on 8-17

8-17-09 - CO at embassy informed us that correction was made and petition sent to Athens for approval.

8-26-09 - Petition approved by Athens USCIS

8-28-09 - Petition mailed to Cairo by Dipl. Pouch via Washington DC.

9-29-09 - Petition arrive at Cairo....

10-12-09 - Package 3 arrived and also sent back same day...

11-10-09 - Package 4 arrived

12-22-09 - Interview date - APPROVED

12-23-09 - DOS says Visa Issued

12-30-09 - Visa in hand

12-31-09 - Enshallah arrive back home :)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay...so I'm coming up for my interview in about 5 days or so....and since my case is not in the normal category for most people on this board (i'm IR-1, but basically a returning resident). Does anyone have any idea what kinds of questions I will asked by CO. Will they just use the basic stock questions regardless of the particulars of this specific case???

8-12-09 - Contacted DOS for info on petition...found out petition is filed incorrectly...

8-17-09 - CO at embassy informed us that correction was made and petition sent to Athens for approval.

12-30-09 - Visa in hand

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I agree wholeheartedly with Kenza in that it depends on where you live. There is of course discrimination but there is also just a sense of not wanting to promote/hire someone who looks different from the norm.

It might not be "oh, she's a muslim" but "wow, she doesnt blend in".

For example, I had my tongue pierced for 12 years and never had a problem, worked in managment positions and everything. I interviewed for my current job last year and they hired me, offered me a great salary..dream job yada yada... I started and my boss finally noticed it and pulled me in her office and basically said, take that out or we cant keep you..it doesnt match our "corporate image" and if I would have noticed it when we interviewed you, we would not have hired you. She said "I'll give you a couple days to think about it" LOL like i was going to keep it in! A week later HER boss called me and said that she was "shocked" that she had did that and she(big boss) had no problem with it at all and they didnt want to lose me ect ect....goes to show it all depends on the person.

My long explanation is just to say that alot of companies arent so much discriminatory against religion or ethnicity but they want people who look like "everyone else".

It will all depend on what youre doing(type of work) and who is hiring and the company. Hopefully they look at your work preformance and go from there. If you are totally impressing them and doing a killer job you will be ok hun. I

Where does John live btw? where are you going in the USofA?

Lisa and Kenza,

I kind of get what you mean about 'they want people who look like everyone else'... It's sad that people would discriminate anywhere.. I am a hard-working person and cannot imagine myself as just another housewife... I've been working since my 3rd year in college which is uncommon for a female in Egypt... My family (and many families) views work as luxury to pass your spare time, and females are too delicate too work lol.. But it always have been part of my individuality.. I do hope I can take Translation as a profession..that's what I enjoyed most to do.. And it is the field I would like my MA to be on (one day).. I do not want my hijab to label me for some kind of job like a teacher for example.. I like my hijab and I'm going to keep it.. I hope things continue as they are with my career life...

John lives in a town near Tampa, Florida and that's where we are going to be for the next couple of years at least.. We are still going to be in Florida after probably..

Second what Y and Kenza said...personally never had a problem myself, but mostly lived in big cities where they're accustomed to diverse cultures. If u live in a smaller town community, it might be more of a problem, but i still feel over all u will be promoted based on your performance.

My last job before I took time off from work to spend with the family, they were going to pay for my training so that i could take on a higher position within the department, but at that time i couldn't do it b/c of family pressures (2nd son was just diagnose with autism).

Serena,

I've lived in Cairo most of my life so finding a job based on my education wasn't a problem at all.. I still get job calls even though I'm hired already.. I got one from Berlitz today about working as an ESL instructor at one of their branches in Cairo, but declined the offer as I'm going to the US soon anyway.. Thank you for sharing your experience :) *Hugs*

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Aya,

I think you will do just fine darling! I think its admirable that you have worked hard for so long and made something of yourself when it would be easier to just sit around all day :thumbs:

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline
Aya,

I think you will do just fine darling! I think its admirable that you have worked hard for so long and made something of yourself when it would be easier to just sit around all day :thumbs:

Thank you Lisa :)

Hi Amanda and Beth! (F)

ROC Timeline

Timeline

Hey Beth and Amanda! (L)

How's everything guys?

amanda, are you done shopping for your little one? Is she excited about santa? What does raad think about all of this christmas madness? lol

Beth,

How are ya? Christmas plans?

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Hey Beth! Hey Aya!

Lisa...yes I am finished shopping for my daughter. She is really excited about Santa coming. She won't stop singing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reigndeer 100 times a day...and she can sing the whole song! She is too sweet though. Raad is adjusting well to all the changes (I even took him to experience Walmart on Black Friday!). He is working now, this is his second week at work and he is doing really well. His boss told him that he is learning and doing things in just two weeks that takes most people 2 months to catch on to. I just picked him up a few minutes ago from work and was glad I didn't have to jump all over his boss. They didn't want to let Raad off work on Christmas Day...his boss is Arabic and he was like "why do you need Christmas Day off? You are Muslim." I was like sooooooooo...it is about being together with all my family and eating together...etc. I mean Christmas is very important to me, as I am a Christian and want to celebrate Jesus' birth. It is about family being together....but his boss has let him off so I am happy I didn't have to get angry. :)

Timeline

lol at rudolph! J makes ME sing the songs instead :lol:

Thats great that he's doing well at work and YA christmas is important! Good that he will be off on christmas day ^_^

We do our family gathering on Christmas Eve so Y asked for that off and so has to work on christmas day which sucks but at least that day that we're all together, he can be there.

I remember having to work on christmas at my first retail jobs so its to be expected sometimes but Im glad we sorted it out ;)

Thanks!

lol at rudolph! J makes ME sing the songs instead :lol:

Thats great that he's doing well at work and YA christmas is important! Good that he will be off on christmas day ^_^

We do our family gathering on Christmas Eve so Y asked for that off and so has to work on christmas day which sucks but at least that day that we're all together, he can be there.

I remember having to work on christmas at my first retail jobs so its to be expected sometimes but Im glad we sorted it out ;)

I worked retail a bit too and I know how harsh & selfish those businesses can be. I remember one time I worked at Advance Auto Parts & there was a hurricane...I had to go into work with limbs blowing off trees, trash cans rolling down the road...the power went out at the store and they made us use calculators and the old little swipe things that you put the paper over the credit card and "copy" it onto the carbon paper. I was like, really, my house could be blowing away and you are worried about selling a battery or windsheild wipers??? It just doesn't make sense to me!! Oh well. Where is Yazied working?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi to all! Good to read and catch up. Hope everyone has a great holiday season! Good luck to those still waiting and yahoo for those who aren't!

Jackie, so happy to see your wait is finally coming to an end!

Lisa, Hi and hugs back atchya babe!

I'll check in again when I can. :)

Got married : 6-3-06

I-130 delivered : 6-12-06 - Appt in Cairo

I-130 Approved : 4-18-08 - USCIS approval!!

Visa Interview Date : 6-22-08

Case sent to WADC: 8-6-08 - FBI check

Email From Embassy 1-09 - Still in AP (7 months)

19 DHL scans - 2-19-09

1-26-09 - Out of AP, now final review

2-26-09 - Visa in hand!

3-11-09 - POE JFK - Got stuck there due to immigration taking too long. They didn't change his visa from CR1 to IR1, have to go to immigration here to fix it.

3-12-09 - Arrived in Portland!!

5-29-2010 - Zane was born ** Absolute best day of my life!

6-7-2010 - Ahmed went back to Egypt

8-23-11 - Filed for divorce

1-12-12 - Divorce final

Timeline

Serena, 2 more days to go!! I have my fingers crossed for you! :)

ROC Timeline

Serena, 2 more days to go!! I have my fingers crossed for you! :)

Thanks Aya...nervous and excited at the same time.....will be leaving tomorrow from Alex on the train...and stay overnight in a hotel. Checked over my papers twice....hopefully no more unpleasant surprises...I'm sick of unpleasant surprises. :wacko:

I bringing my daughter with me...she's 3. I shouldn't have a problem with them letting her in right. she is a US citizen. :unsure:

12-30-09 - Visa in hand

Timeline
Thanks Aya...nervous and excited at the same time.....will be leaving tomorrow from Alex on the train...and stay overnight in a hotel. Checked over my papers twice....hopefully no more unpleasant surprises...I'm sick of unpleasant surprises. :wacko:

I bringing my daughter with me...she's 3. I shouldn't have a problem with them letting her in right. she is a US citizen. :unsure:

Serena, when I had my interview last week there were young children and babies all over the place lol.. There should be no problem about letting your daughter in especially that She's a US citizen.

Have a safe trip hun (F) I have a really good feeling about your interview, inshaAllah you'll do great! :thumbs:

ROC Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.