kitteh

Working without DHS authorization

17 posts in this topic

i got here in usa last May under k1 visa then applied for my ssn in my maiden name same month. then june we got married after 3 weeks i was hired to work in a nursing home. they didnt care to ask me about ead all they want is my alien number and my social security card under my maiden name. i went to ss office to change my ss card to my married name but then the officer told us just come back when i get my green card then they will replace my card to my married name. i was so worried and asked if im legally allowed to work. the officer told me YES because i have my ss card already. i passed my aos last july and just finished my biometrics. i even filled up my 1485 the company name xurrently working at and my position to this company.

hope it will help.

It is just simple..Working without a work permit is Illegal. Even if you have the AOS application if you don't have your EAD yet..still it is illegal to work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
OK, I've read the sticky at the top of the Working and Traveling Prior to Green Card forum but I still have a question.

My husband entered the US in May and we were married in June. We have yet to send the AOS forms to apply for legal residence and an EAD because we've gotten tied up trying to obtain my previous years' tax information and that of our co-sponsor.

The thing is, my husband has a job and has been working throughout August. He has a social security number and it has the "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION" stamp on it but the employer didn't ask for DHS authorization. He hasn't yet received a check because he started work too closely to the first pay period in August. We're expecting to receive his first paycheck this friday for the hours worked in August. I'm wondering what the repercussions of this may be. We're planning to send in the AOS packet ASAP (still waiting on the tax transcripts to arrive from the IRS!) and when he applied for the job we didn't realize that we were basically breaking the law. But his employer accepted his SS card even with the stamp on it, which I realized after the fact. A friend of mine at work who entered the US on a k-1 visa told me that he started to work at another job after sending in his paperwork but before receiving his DHS authorization and that his lawyer told him that since he was just waiting to receive the paperwork he would be fine and wouldn't cause himself any problems by working, but we haven't even sent in the paperwork yet! I don't know what we can do except to send the AOS packet as soon as we can and hope that we don't get in any trouble, but we really don't want my husband to quit his job either.

Any info or experience that any of you may have would be greatly appreciated.

You already know the answer to your questions; not to be mean to you or your hubby, what do you want us to tell you? You figured it was wrong on your own, then the answer is not far behind.

JNR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.