Candy_Vince

what to do after i got married

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi guys, i arrived here in US last August 1 on K1 visa...after 3 weeks we got married. I already have my marriage certificate and already went to SS to update my name since I'm now married but I can't get a California I.D as they told me they need my greencard to have cali I.D. My question is , what should I do now that I'm married, should we apply for adjustment of status , how long does it take to have an approval. Also , I want to work because I'm getting bored here now , is it possible for me to work while waiting for my adjusment,by the way I already have my SSN.

Hope you can help me on this.

Thank you so much.

Congratulations on the marriage - you're doing good, but time to keep moving forward.

Yes - you need to file AOS (and EAD). The Guides give you all the details on how to do everything (just like the K-1 guides did) - the soon, the better. AOS processing varies - could be several months, could be much longer - most folks take 3-5 months though. The EAD takes 60-90 days to get and will allow you to work while you're waiting for the PR/Green Card.

You're on Step 20 on the K-1 Visa Flowchart

Edited by Otto und Karin

It seems like the OP is in a kind of "Limbo Status" since she can't get a Calif. ID.

What form of ID would be considered "official" to a police or Border Patrol type who requests it?

Seems kind of important, since a new immigrant bride could get thrown in the Klink if she didn't have the right ID on her. What a nightmare that would be.

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Candy-Vince, Actually you CAN get a Driver License (*CA D/L*) Except the expiration date is the date when your I-94 expires. But since you are not doing much, you might as well obtain the driver license so when you do start working & receives your employment authorization card, you can just update with DMV and receive a new card. I would assume you can drive when you have a EAD. It wouldn't make sense for the US government to not allow a D/L when they allow you to work~~~

anyhow, i would suggest going back to the DMV. I worked for us... my hubby just cannot pass his driving behind the wheel test... otherwise he would be holding a VALID CA D/L now.

Timeline:

2/18/2009: Mailed I-129F Form

2/20/2009: NOA 1 Receipt Date

3/20/2009: NOA 2 Notice Approval Date

05/28/2009: Interview APPROVED

7/22/2009 --POE (LAX)-- We are together forever <3

AOS Journey Begins Here ^------^

7/28/2009 -- Applied for SSN & Registered for Marriage License

8/3/2009 -- Civil Ceremony

8/5/2009 -- Received Marriage Certificate via Express Mail. Pass DMV Written Exam & Received Permit

08/11/2009-- Mailed AOS to Chicago, IL

08/17/2009 -- Check clears $1010 USCIS

8/20/2009- Touched ^---^

8/21/2009-- NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765 Hard Copy

08/29/2009-- Received Biometrics Appointment Letter in the mail, dated 08/26

09/03/2009 -- Early Walk In Biometrics Appt (Original Date 09/23)

09/04/2009 -- Touched ^---^

09/29/2009 -- EAD Card Production

10/07/2009 -- EAD Card Received

10/16/2009 AOS I-485 Interview in Los Angeles(APPROVED)

10/28/2009 -- GC in HAND <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.