nycgirl

10 year card without 2 year card?

8 posts in this topic

My husband's friend told him that after his initial immigration interview (marriage based green card), he was issued a 10 year green card. He never had a 2 year card. Is this possible?? I've never heard of such a thing. The dude is known to tell a few "tall tales", and I suspect that this is one of them.

Can you go straight to a 10 year GC without ever having a 2 year GC??

Thanks!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yes many ppl also get 10 years card rather than having 2 years. It dpends on every individual case. 10years USCIS free life.....

My husband's friend told him that after his initial immigration interview (marriage based green card), he was issued a 10 year green card. He never had a 2 year card. Is this possible?? I've never heard of such a thing. The dude is known to tell a few "tall tales", and I suspect that this is one of them.

Thanks!!

AOS Transferred to CSC.......................August 4th 2009

AP/EAD Approval Notice appeared....August 21st 2009

AP/EAD received in mails.................... 08/27/09, 08/31/09

AOS at CSC.............................................Pending

Yes many ppl also get 10 years card rather than having 2 years. It dpends on every individual case. 10years USCIS free life.....

Thanks!!

Wow! I never knew. They have 2 kids, been together forever. I guess it makes sense.

Thanks!

10-year non-conditional PR/Green Card or 2-year conditional PR/Green Card being issued is based on length of marriage at the time the card is issued (2 years or less, versus 2+ years or more). So it depends on how long you were married when you adjust status.

Timeline

the guy who basically told this "tall tale" is actually a true tale this time may be...LOL!..

Timeline

One more story of 10years card....

have a look at

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...topic=214346....

One more story of 10years card....

have a look at

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...topic=214346....

Don't know what that link was all about (it said he got his green card 10 days after interview, not 10 year green card), but thanks!!

Official (but brief) explanation from USCIS:

Some of you may be CONDITIONAL RESIDENTS. This page applies equally to you while you are in conditional resident status. The difference between you and an unconditioned permanent resident is that your permanent resident status will expire in two years from when it was given, unless you successfully petition to have the condition removed. Those of you with conditional permanent residence either received your residence through a marriage relationship where the marriage was less than two years old at the time you became a Permanent Resident, or you received that status through an investment as an employment creation immigrant (EB-5). If you successfully petition for removal of the condition on your immigration status, this page will still apply to you as a Permanent Resident.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

:thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.