FormerBrit

PLEASE ADVISE ME - illegible fingerprints for my AOS

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

Please could someone clarify this for me. I'm so worried :(

I received my RFE today (my case was transferred to CSC in May). My fingerprints from my biometrics were rejected twice as being "illegible". I have received an RFE asking for a "Certification of good conduct".

It says exactly:

CERTIFICATION OF GOOD CONDUCT: The applicant's fingerprints have twice been rejected as "illegible". Please provide a letter issued by the local law enforcement agency (County Sheriff or Local Police Department) indicating the applicant has "no criminal record". The record search should include all the aliases the applicant has previously used. A seperate letter is required for each law enforcement district in which the applicant has resided during the previous five years.

-Has anyone else received this?

-What did you send?

-Do I just need to send letters from local law enforcement agencies in the US since the time I moved here in January?

-Or do I need to include police certificates from all the other countries I have lived in (UK etc...). I have already given this information when I appled for the K1 visa.

This would really be a problem because two of the previous countries I lived/worked in do not issue police certificates. This was no problem at my K1 interview in London as they were aware of this, but I am still unsure as to what the RFE refers to.

All help is most appreciated, :yes:

Kiki (F)

So Sorry to hear of that RFE kikidoug, Shouldn't they have caught that at your Biometrics Appointment? I cant offer any advice of what to do but Im sure someone here in VJ land will be able to help out. Every one here is so supportive. Good luck with it and keep us informed. I'd send you a hug if I could find the right smiley icon. Quick someone find a hug icon and send it to kikidoug :)

Lara and Jeff

Oh thanks :blush:

In fact they told me at biometrics that my fingerprints were faint. I was there over 2 hours, almost 3 in fact. I had several digital sets done and 4 paper/ink sets. Two officers and then the QC officer had a go and couldn't get them. However, since we heard nothing back and I got my EAD, we assumed everything was OK...

I hope someone can advise me. If it is a matter of getting a local report it is fine, but it is impossible to get the ones from abroad :(:crying:

Edited by KikiDoug

So sorry about that RFE.. :( I have no experience with this situation, unfortunately, but my one thought is that maybe you can get some official documentation that some of the countries where you lived do not issue police certificates in this circumstance? Maybe from the embassy in that country? Surely USCIS cannot expect you to provide something that's not available.. especially if you lived in those places before your K-1 interview.

I hope you get this issue clarified soon - if not through the many helpful posters here at VJ then perhaps through an Infopass.

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Is there a way I contact CSC directly to inquire about this?

You probably already have this # 1-800-375-5283 thats the # they gave me to inquire about the AOS transfer to CSC. and here is an email address that I found on someones post

csc-xII.485@dhs.com I havn't tried it though. the csc-x may be in caps but small letters is the way I wrote it down. Hope this helps good luck Lara

Lara and Jeff

Thank you so much - I'll try an email and see if I can get a reply.

I also tried phoning the USCIS number. I was told by one officer there that it just refers to the time I have been living in the USA, but then why does it ask for the last 5 years. :huh: I'd really like it clarified... :(

If anyone has any help I'd be so appreciative!

Kiki (F)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

So sorry to hear about your troubles.... :(

I would think that they are only referring to the time lived in th USA, but if not, you could go on the following website

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/country_pick.htm#P

and click on the country where you have lived. Scoll down all the way, there will be a note telling you whether police certificates are available or not. You should be able to print it out somehow (make sure you include the url for the website).

That should be enough to prove that you wouldn't have to obtain certificates from those countries for AOS either.

Good luck,

CW

AOS timeline:

03/17/06 filed for AOS

03/28-06 touched

04/04/06 biometrics

04/05/06 touched

05/23/06 transfered to CSC

06/17/06 touched

08/16/06 touched

11/20/06 USCIS cust.service started inquiry about case (because it's outside of processing times)

11/30/06 approval e-mail

12/07/06 Greencard in the mail (= 8 months and 21 days for the entire AOS process)

.png

.png

Thank you all for the replies so far...I will try and clarify this tomorrow by phoning the USCIS again.

According to the reciprocity list, and following on from what the US embassy in London told me before I got the K1 visa, I can only obtain police certificates from the UAE and Kuwait (where I have lived before) if I am physically present in those countries and resident.

Does anyone know how I go on about getting a "Certification of Good Conduct" from my local county sheriff here in the US and how long does it take?

Has anyone else ever had this particular RFE? :(

I'm so worried about this.... :crying:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thank you all for the replies so far...I will try and clarify this tomorrow by phoning the USCIS again.

According to the reciprocity list, and following on from what the US embassy in London told me before I got the K1 visa, I can only obtain police certificates from the UAE and Kuwait (where I have lived before) if I am physically present in those countries and resident.

Does anyone know how I go on about getting a "Certification of Good Conduct" from my local county sheriff here in the US and how long does it take?

Has anyone else ever had this particular RFE? :(

I'm so worried about this.... :crying:

HI

I would just go to your local sheriff office. Bring the letter and explain to them what you need. I am sure they will be helpful and they can maybe print up the report and have a commander sign it. Maybe just have a couple for your records.

You can go to your local county office. I see your District office is washington DC. I am close to DC now.

Take care

Yogi

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

A friend of ours was applying for her AOS and needed a certificate from the police stating that she had no record. We went downtown to the police records and they took her ID and ss number, copied them and entered them into the computer. I few minutes later they gave her a sheet of paper with a seal on it that said she had no record. Her AOS processed just fine.

I would also agree that they are just looking at the time you have been in the United States.

Mike and Luvy

Thank you so much for the replies. :thumbs::yes:

I phoned USCIS again today and I spoke to an officer there who was very helpful. I explained in detail and she said that it is a stock letter normally sent to those applying for US citizenship but that it only applies to the time I have been in the USA.

I can only hope that is really what they want :unsure:

I then phoned the local town police and asked, and they told me to go on Monday to the courthouse with picture ID and it should be possible to obtain this paper.

I just hope it wil be exactly what they want! I guess I won't really be sure until they receive it at CSC...

Phew! :star:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
Thank you so much for the replies. :thumbs::yes:

I phoned USCIS again today and I spoke to an officer there who was very helpful. I explained in detail and she said that it is a stock letter normally sent to those applying for US citizenship but that it only applies to the time I have been in the USA.

I can only hope that is really what they want :unsure:

I then phoned the local town police and asked, and they told me to go on Monday to the courthouse with picture ID and it should be possible to obtain this paper.

I just hope it wil be exactly what they want! I guess I won't really be sure until they receive it at CSC...

Phew! :star:

Good luck!! :)

And look at the bright side:

Most probably that piece of paper is all they want and need, and thus most probably your AOS will be approved shortly after :D

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :D

CW

AOS timeline:

03/17/06 filed for AOS

03/28-06 touched

04/04/06 biometrics

04/05/06 touched

05/23/06 transfered to CSC

06/17/06 touched

08/16/06 touched

11/20/06 USCIS cust.service started inquiry about case (because it's outside of processing times)

11/30/06 approval e-mail

12/07/06 Greencard in the mail (= 8 months and 21 days for the entire AOS process)

.png

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.